Ocean Drive Beach And Golf Resort

98 North Ocean Boulevard, North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29582, United States
Ocean Drive Beach and Golf Resort
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Ocean Drive Beach And Golf Resort

Easter Week at Ocean Drive Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Twogirlmom

We just returned from our Easter Week stay at the Ocean Drive Beach and Golf Resort. We picked it due to the good reviews here at tripadvisor.com. We had an oceanfront efficiency on the seventh floor. Our room was clean, the beds were good, the shower had great water pressure. The kitchen was very handy and saved us money on a few meals. The milk in the gift shop was outrageously priced but convenient. The elevators were pretty quick and we never had to wait long.We really liked the location. It was convenient to church on Sunday and good activities and restaurants. It was about 35/40 minutes to Broadway at the Beach and less than 10 minutes to Barefoot Landing.Our room was not cleaned on Easter Sunday but was cleaned every other day of our week long stay.The water in the indoor pool was on the cold side and the outdoor pools were unheated but they were clean. The beach was nice.The price we paid was much higher than the price in their ad (although it was the price we were quoted for our resservation). They charge a surcharge for weekends and holidays/special events so their advertised price is not the usual price. We did get a AAA discount and we did book on the late side so we went with it.Overall, we were happy with the hotel.

Very nice hotel

Just got back from a stay at the Ocean Drive Beach and Golf Resort Sept 21-25, 2003. The whole time we were there the hotel was kept very clean The room was cleaned good, the pool and lazy river were clean, floors were kept free of sand and water, the laundry area and game area was also clean. The room we were in was a normal size room, what you would expect with a king size bed. The hotel and the room we were in did not have any kind of bad smells. Liked the fact that the hotel has a breakfest place, a bar & grill, and a dance place. However, at this time of the year the dance place is only open on weekends. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The only things I didn't realy care for was that they charge your card before your stay and they have you sign a nonrefundable form and the cleaning people did not replace the coffee unless you left a note or went to the front desk and asked. All in all had a great time, the hotel is a very nice place to stay. I would recomend this hotel.

Fabulous First Time

by TripAdvisor Member CyndeDawn

Being our first time to travel to Myrtle Beach, my two friends and I spoke with several other friends/family/co-workers and learned there are just about as many opinions of where to stay in Myrtle as there are choices! After a recommendation and searching through reviews on the internet, we choose the Ocean Drive Beach and Golf Resort. We were at the OD the week after Labor Day and were absolutely thrilled with everything. Initially I tried to book the oceanfront suite on the internet, but it told me it wasn't available for the weekend days we were going to be there. I called the hotel directly and the friendly customer service person not only got me a room for the entire vacation, but it was an upgraded version from what I read about AND she reminded me that they offer a discount for AAA members. When we arrived at the hotel we were thrilled with the clean and comfortable surroundings. I read the review from the gentleman that didn't prefer to pay for the room at the beginning of their stay. I can understand that, but for us, that was perfect. We didn't have to worry about having enough money left over at the end of the week to pay for the hotel. Our room was spacious and very well suited to us. Although the bathroom was a bit small, everything was very clean and kept that way during the week. As we were there before the big Shag Festival, and after school went back, it was very quiet during the week. With the exception of some unruly children in Lazy River, the amenities of the pool, hot tub, clubs, and gift shop were wonderful. Our Tiki Bar bartender was FANTASTIC, but sorry girls, he's going back to a real job this fall! The only complaint we had about our entire visit at the OD was the parking situation on the last night of our visit. Because the hotel is situated in close proximity to a popular "shag" nightclub and the OD Pavilion, parking was horrible when we arrived back at 10:00 that Sat. night. The OD staff had to park us along a sidewalk and promised to watch the vehicle, which it appears they did. I think the OD should perhaps consider some type of permit parking for their guests only when something as big as the Shag Festival is going on. Feel free to write if you have any questions about our visit - we loved the OD and would (and have!!) recommend it to anyone who asks about our visit.

Absolutely Fabulous!!

Loved this hotel! Our suite was spacious and beautiful. We were on the ninth floor and the view of the ocean from the balcony was worth the trip. The price we got on expedia was fabulous. The whole hotel was very, very clean. Staff was friendly. The golf director, Mark was great. Highly, Highly recommend this hotel. We are definitely going back next year. October in Myrtle Beach is great. No crowds, nice weather!!

Nice resort

by TripAdvisor Member beachfamily

We stayed in August, 2003. The hotel was spotless and everyone was very friendly. The pool area was nice and as others have mentioned, the rooms were nice and the pool food was convenient. Our complaint and everyone that was around us: you cannot access the pool area from the lobby. Many people had to wait for the elevator to go up one floor or walk down to the pool. We have stayed in 5 star beach hotels in many cities and you always had access to the lobby. The lobby is nice with a gift shop, etc. The other problem was the indoor pool. You could not access it from the outdoor pool and you could not access the outdoor pool from the indoor pool. In other words, they have many exits locked, which we found odd and a fire hazards...we know, it would be unusual to have a fire in a pool! Many employees were always available to clean the floor near the elevators and to clean around the pool. We were there in August and there seemed to be plenty of staff to monitor the lobby and convenience situation.

Except for this inconvenience, we loved the hotel and would return!

Not bad but not great

The employees were very nice and the hotel was average. Our room was given to us with blood stained sheets which kind of ruined my impression of the hotel. The problem was corrected. The hotel shows lots of wear and tear but the outside is maintened very well. The pools seemed very clean but cold. I most likely would not visit again.

Terrible Room

Was promised an ocean front room with queen bed @ $185 per night. When I got into my room, it had some sort of weird little bed that was about 4 inches off the floor. My wife has very bad back problems and it was an ordeal for her to kneel down and get on the bed or to get up from the bed. When we got down on the bed, we were actually resting on the floor. It was ocean front, but the windows were nailed shut. Asked to speak to the manager 4-5 times and was always told that he/she would contact me, but they never did. I was told that if I didn't like my room, I could pay for 1 night and leave. My room was directly in front of the elevator bank and there was no quietness at all. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Returning for second vacation!

Excellent Room. We stayed June 2003, and am returning again this June.
Excellent location, clean rooms, nice set up, nice ammenities, friendly staff. We will always make our reservations at this hotel when we go to myrtle beach.

Will Never Be Back

The OD Beach Resort had beautiful views of the sunset from inside the lobby. The staff seemed nice and helpful. That is where the nice comments end and the bad ones begin. The parking lot is extremely steep.I tripped over some broken pavement and took a hard fall. I rolled the length of 4 parking spaces and was almost hit by a car, suffering a broken wrist. The parking garage beside the parking lot is extremely tight with less the 8 inches of clearance on either side for a small SUV. The neighborhood is run down and made my wife feel very uncomfortable.Lots of abandoned businesses,homes, and broken pavement on the streets.We will not be back.

Mediocre at best

by TripAdvisor Member jrzj42

The best feature of this hotel was easy access to the beach. The beach is raked every day and kept fairly clean. On the plus side: rooms were kept clean (I think it helps to tip house-keeping a couple of dollars a day. I always had extra towels and none of my personal belongings were touched); a good assortment of pools: indoor and outdoor hot tubs, heated indoor pool, outdoor pool and lazy river were popular. Plenty of closet space (bring extra hangers). Now for the minuses: the bathroom was very, very small. Width was equal to that of the tub. Depth was twice the depth of the tub of which half the floor space was taken by the commode. Very difficult to open the door with approximately a 30 by 30 inch standing floor space. The vent was for appearances only. No humidity or bathroom odors were eliminated by the vent. The very worst feature of this hotel is noise abatement - there is none! You can hear everything. The main hall is open to the street and echoes most noises.
Several nights I was awakened by the fighting of the 3 little boys in the adjacent room, and it sounded as if it the fight was being held right in my own room. Smells tended to emanate between adjacent rooms as well, particularly strong odors such as microwave popcorn. My wife and I shared a king size bed, while my teenage daughter used the Murphy bed. The Murphy bed was marginal in comfort, but the king bed was a brick with sheets. I like firm beds but the king was too firm even for me. This is certainly a hotel for families with children or young teens. It's not a place for couples, newlyweds, or parents with babies.
As a side note, the number of outdoor pool side chairs and recliners was limited. By 8-8:30am most of the chairs/recliners were taken by people depositing their beach towels and/or books - a common means of reserving. The local restaurants were few and expensive. with only a couple of sub-shops to fill in. The kitchenette was adequate for simple meals.

JZ (April 4 - 10, 2004)