Wyndham Hotel Ocean Boulevard

410 S Ocean Blvd (frmrly Fairfield Myrtle Beach), North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
Hotels.com WYOceanBlvd.com Booking.com

Costs 107% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Wyndham Hotel Ocean Boulevard

Vanna's home

by Tom_In_Madison

Wheel of Fortune's letter-turner Vanna White owns a big home on the main street near the ocean. The home is beautiful, and the flowers, shrubbery and garden work surrounding it are just as much so. You can see the house as you drive down Ocean blvd....no tours, its her home so respect her privacy I'd say.

Near Ocean Blvd & 9th Ave....

Beach

by Tom_In_Madison

Going here goes pretty much without saying. You can walk out into the water for quite a ways and it never really gets that deep. I walked and walked and it still never got higher than my waist--and this was as hurricane Dean was causing havoc in Mexico and Jamaica.

If you are not staying at a fancy hotel on the coast, there are a lot of little parking lots along Ocean Blvd that you can pull into and walk to the beach...all of about 30 yards away. The one we went to is right next to Maritime Hotels/Condos. There's a parking spot there. Attached to the building is the Coconuts outdoor bar and in the building is a public bathroom open to all.

There can be some bad riptides though, so be careful of those....if you get in one swim parallel to the shore until you get out of it.

There are many places you can go on parasailing excursions, banana boat, rent beach chairs, etc....

Fisgard lighthouse, Canada

by sim1

This is the oldest lighthouse on the west coast of Canada. It is a White, conical brick tower with a red lantern. Next to it is the two story high keeper`s house.The lighthouse is from 1860 and was automated in 1929.

This lighthouse is operational, but it is also open to the public. It is openend daily :
from March 01 - Oct. 31 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m, weekends Nov. 1 - Feb. 28 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

We were just too late to visit the lighthouse and that is why we were only able to see it from a distance. That was a real shame, because I would have loved to take a look inside this lighthouse. It really looked beautiful!

Inside the keeper`s house are two floors of exhibits, dealing with shipwrecks, storms, lighthouses, and the everyday working equipment of the lightkeeper a century ago.

Directions:
The lighthouse is on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, not so very far from Victoria. Head north on Douglas Street (Victoria`s main street) until it turns into Highway 1. Take the Colwood exit (exit #10). Follow Highway 1A, then turn left at the third traffic light onto Ocean Boulevard. Follow the signs to the lighthouse site.

You can find more information about this lighthouse on this website : http://parkscan.harbour.com/frh/

One of our best trips

by TripAdvisor Member Vince2004

Everything was great!! Security guards directed us to check-in (full house during our stay) which took less than 10 minutes. We were in our unit within 20 minutes total.
Staff was helpful in every way.
Guest services tried to have us in for a presentation (already own w/ Fairfield/Wyndham), but we turned them down. NO PRESSURE!!!! What a relief.
We were in a 3 bedroom -- family members joined us later; said they had never been in a better place.
The place was busy, but everyone was helpful and friendly. I don't go to Myrtle Beach often, but would definitely go back to Ocean Boulevard.

Stay somewhere else

by TripAdvisor Member kimorus

We just got back from a Jul 22nd-27th stay at this resort (TOWER 2, 3rd floor). It was awful from the second we pulled up and the garage attendant tore my head off and nastily spat "WE'RE FULL, YOU HAVE TO PARK ACROSS THE STREET!!. Check-in involved equally stone-faced, unfriendly women who were clearly miserable. We had to go retrieve the car (their back parking lot is 3 blocks away) because the man at the parking lot failed to tell us it would be acceptable to take a minute and unload, he practically chased us back down the ramp. We finally arrive at a cavernous unit in the back of the hotel. Our "ocean view" was of busy Ocean Blvd and the other tower. If you lean off the balcony real far and crane your neck to one side, you'll see a postage stamp size view of the ocean. It is hard to believe they get away with calling this an ocean view.
It was the ugliest room I have ever stayed in. You know those pretty purple, pink and yellow rooms all bright and gorgeous that they show in their ads??? Well don't count on it. Our room was bile green, black, brown, and dark blue. Black furniture. DUNGEON DARK. The kitchen cabinets are dark, the lighting is dim, the towers all SHADE one another, so don't count on any window light unless you are in an ocean FRONT room. Ocean blvd. is loud and obnoxious like you're in NYC (sirens,trucks going by,etc) so you won't hear a single ocean wave. When you sit out on your balcony you face the balcony across from you... you might as well string a clothes line. That's how close it feels.
The pools are ALL ice cold and shaded by the towers themselves almost 24-7. There is about 1 hour of the day when the sun shines on them, about 12 noon,& THOUSANDS of people try to fit on about 50 chairs. The wind coming off the ocean tunnels through the space between the towers. You can't set a drink down (it will blow away--I'm not kidding), or read a book (you'll get sick of trying to hold the pages down), and you get quite sick of your hair beating you in the face. It is like stepping into a vacuum.
The beach towels in our room were frayed with strings hanging off of them everywhere. The toaster wouldn't pop up, we had to turn it upside down to get our toast out. The dishwasher threw a sandy sludge all over the dishes every time I tried to use it. The walls were filthy with marks and scuffs. There was hair in our jacuzzi so we never used it. We didn't have a single teaspoon in our room. The board games in the game room are missing pieces so when you request to play they say "sorry" and the ping-pong paddles have no rubber padding left so it's quite difficult to have a decent game. It appears this hotel does not reinvest to replace and repair the natural wear & tear of things.
The beach cannot possibly accommodate the thousands of people staying here. They also don't mention that the PUBLIC BEACH is just one hotel length away and those people add to the chaos of just trying to find a spot to fit your chair. The beach is packed like sardines. Expect no quite, no calm. Go to NYC or Philly. It will be more relaxing.

Give It a Chance

by TripAdvisor Member pattijIllinois

We just returned from Ocean Beach after a 20 hour car trip home and my family would do it again in a heartbeat. Only we would fly.
I had tried to book Seawatch Plantation and was placed at Ocean Blvd. on accident. I was nervous about the mixed reviews that I had read about the place and was very worried that my family would enjoy it. I have a 21, 19 and 17 year old.
The place is massive, and when we pulled into the parking garage my heart sank. Security guards directing traffic and no visable parking spaces. We were sent up to check-in and it proved a breeze. Lots of staff, helpful and good at their job.We stayed for a week and could always find a parking spot after check-in day. Sometimes across the street, but never a great problem.
The room ( 2 bedroom deluxe in Tower I) was very small but well designed. No space is wasted. The view from our balcony was beautiful. Tower I is the newest Building and has the best pool area. We had requested a lower room and that proved to be a bonus as peak times brought lines at the elevators.
The beach and pool areas are well maintained. We didn't feel crowded on the beach even at high tide and the pool in our courtyard was busy or empty depending on the time of day. The infinity pool is a delight to swim in. The hotubs in our courtyard were not hot or working most of our stay, but it wasn't an inconvienence for us. Security does a great job at enforcing rules and keeping things running well. The pool bar has a friendly, helpful bartender (Tom) that can give advice on what's available in the area. Not much without a car, but my family liked just hanging out on the beach or by the pool(s). We used a lot of our timeshare points to be there, but I would recommend it.

Nice hotel - but not perfect

by TripAdvisor Member mwfromva

Three major annoyances stood out for us. First, the parking is not a good situation. There is only a 2 story parking garage under the 3 towers the face the ocean. A 4 story garage is across the street under tower 4. Another 2 story garage is beyond that, 2 blocks over from the towers on the beach. The fact that the main 3 towers do not have more parking is pretty pathetic. Ocean Blvd really is a poorly planned resort when it comes to parking.

Second, "wireless internet" is said to be available yet it IS NOT. I stayed in tower 1, which is supposedly the newest tower, and there was no internet available. You could go down with all the kids to the main lobby in tower 2 and try to get 10 minutes on a computer but it just wasn't worth the hassle. I ended up paying for wireless broadband through Verizon and tethering my cell phone to my laptop.

Third, the pool between tower 1 and tower 2 was COLD. Yet another poor design, the pool is in the sun maybe 3-4 hours out of the day, leaving it fairly cold almost all the time. A bonus was the lazy river was is the sun (albeit partially covered) most of the day and stayed warm long into the evening hours.

Aside from those gripes, everything else was just fine. The room was nice, clean, and modern. Everything was just how it should be. A call to maintence for a door that fell off it's track was responded to within 5 minutes and fixed within 10 minutes - a really pleasant experience. Even with the hotel seemingly full (July 4th week) there was still plenty of room on the beach and never seemed overly crowded (the 3 tower beach front presence makes for a wide beach frontage). There was never a tremendous wait for an elevator and the front desk help was always kind.

Overall, aside from the gripes, I still give the resort a high marks for being well run, clean, modern, and quiet.

Disappointed this trip

by TripAdvisor Member KathrynI

This was my third trip to Ocean Blvd and the first since the completion of the additional towers, as well as the purchase by Wyndham. This is my "home resort" as a Fairfield/Wyndham owner. We spent 2 weeks over the July 4th holiday. The positives about the resort are the units, which are comfortable for up to 10 people in a three bedroom, stocked with everything you need to cook. The balcony is large, the grounds were well maintained.

I was disappointed with the staff, it seems to me that they are VERY understaffed at the front desk, housekeeping, and security. Clearly this resort has grown too fast and staffing has not caught up. Those at the front desk, especially, were not friendly or even pleasant. We were caught in the rush of check in and they were almost to the point of mean. During our stay, we tried calling the front desk twice and no one ever answered.

Parking, as noted in most other reviews is terrible, as well trying to unload. Staff at the parking areas were overwhelmed and manuvering through the garage back to the street and crossing over into the other building was dangerous. It would make sense to reserve a parking spot for each unit in the building and send overflow to the further parking areas.

The pools are cold and there is a wind tunnel effect. It would be a difficult walk from the pool decks for anyone with a disability or trouble with steps. The beach is terrific and the ocean water was warm. Naturally the beach was crowded, but that's to be expected during peak season holiday periods.

I am hoping that things will improve, my experience with Fairfield Resorts has always been excellent, I have owned with them since 1984, so this took me by surprise.

Had a great time at this lovely resort and would definitely return!

by TripAdvisor Member travelgirlpa1976

WE just returned from our stay at Ocean Boulevard. We stayed the week of Aug 12. To be honest, I was down right scared about this place after reading the reviews here.
Let me say, I don't know where some of these folks stayed, but my experience was great. Was it perfect? No, but we are talking about a huge resort here folks.
Yes, parking seems to be an issue here. However, we always found parking in the guest lot under tower four. A few times we even parked in the owners lot under tower two. We arrived early and thought we would have to wait to check in. However, our room was ready and check in took a few minutes. The staff was friendly and helpful and there were plenty of luggage carts for our nine adults and two babies. Yes, the elevators were busy on check-in day, but it wasn't horrible.
The room was gorgeous and very modern. Big rooms, set up well for large groups. We never felt cramped. We were in room 631 in Tower 2. Ocean view, not ocean front, but totally had a nice view. Also, my bedroom was on Ocean Boulevard and I never heard a thing. In fact, this part of the boulevard is pretty slow, compared to others.
The pools. They are blocked by the buildings for much of the day, however, they are not freezing. And you can usually find some sun depending on where you sit. We always found chairs around the pool for our party. The Infinity pool is cooler and less crowded then the zero-entry pool, which is usually warm. The 2 lazy rivers were always warm and we could always get tubes. Plenty of room on the beach too. We never had an issue with finding space. Also, the indoor pools got high marks from family members. There is also a pool at Tower 4 that gets a lot of sun and was never crowded. It was also great that the pools were open till 11 p.m.
Also, lots of family-friendly activities (we did karoke, milk shake and sundae socials) Also, pool tables and ping pong were fun. Ocean front bar, too. A bit high-priced.
The resort could inest in a few more computers for their computer lab with internet access. Lots of teens in there and not sure everyone sticks to the 30 minute rule. It was a bit frustrating not to have wifi available. But, the clerk at the desk was honest about it and advised against buying minutes from an outside service.
Also, the restort staff was helpful in setting up outside activities, including golf tee times. I was told they also offered special discounts to some places.
OVerall, this resort gave us plenty of options for a week's stay. We could stay together or do our own thing. I would recommend this place and definitely would go back.

North Myrtle Beach

by Tom_In_Madison

This is the northern most city in 'The Grand Strand', a series of little cities along the beach from Pawley's island to North Myrtle Beach near the North Carolina coast.

Just like the others, it has a huge miles long beach along the ocean. NOt much of a downtown, just a series of strip malls. You go here for the beach, not the shopping...most of the shopping is in Myrtle Beach.

Vanna White of 'Wheel of Fortune' fame has a big huge house on Ocean Blvd with some fantastic gardening and flowers and shrubbery on her lot.

Moi puttingMoi putting

Rock Ledges exposed at low tideRock Ledges exposed at low tide

Under the PierUnder the Pier

Rock ledges next to channel markerRock ledges next to channel marker

Comments