Holiday Inn Pawleys Island

Pawleys Island Inn
Orbitz.com Tingo.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

More about Pawleys Island

One of the many beautiesOne of the many beauties

BrookgreenBrookgreen

sculpture at Brookgreensculpture at Brookgreen

Scenes around the gardensScenes around the gardens

Travel Tips for Pawleys Island

Brookgreen Gardens a MUST VISIT!

by dustmon

I grew up staying on Pawleys Island every summer, and we always made the 20 minute drive up to Murrells Inlet to see Brookgreen Gardens on a sunny day. Over 300 acres of greenery, statues, trails and other artwork donated and assembled by the Huntingtons, I believe in the 1930's. This is an incredibly peaceful place to walk around, looking at all the wonderful statues dotted around the grounds, as well as in little outdoor galleries.

www.brookgreen.org

1931 Brookgreen Gardens Drive
Murrells Inlet Staying at Seaview Inn and crabbing across the road in the marsh---the cooks (my favorite was Alethia) would cook them up for dinner that night!

Brookgreen Gardens

by Kentbein

"A well kept secret"

BROOKGREEEN GARDENS
During the summer of 2003, my family and I visited some friends who had moved to Georgetown, South Carolina. During our stay, our friends took us to Brookgreen Gardens, a beautiful wildlife sanctuary and sculpture gardens set on 9100 acres of Carolina Lowcountry in what had been, prior to 1865, four rice plantations. I had never heard of the Gardens before, and after visiting this outstanding place, I am amazed that I have not heard of it. The facility is truly magnificent, with over five hundred sculptures from the greatest American sculptors, sighted throughout a meticulously kept landscape.

"My friend Robert, and Philip."

When I returned to the DC area, I began asking friends if they had ever heard of Brookgreen. I found very few of my architectural and even landscape architect friends here have ever heard of this place. In fact, only one had, Harriett Ross. Harriett is one of my favorite co-workers and excellent architect. She is a native of South Carolina and is familiar with Brookgreen, although she has never been there. No other friends in my architectural/Landscape Architect community were familiar with Brookgreen.

Brookgreen doesn’t seem to advertise itself, or at least, it does not advertise very well, especially considering that it is accredited by the American Association of Museums, The American Zoo and Aquarium Association, and is a member of the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta . It is highly worth the visit to this spectacular sculpture garden though, if you are anywhere near Georgetown or Pawley’s Island South Carolina. It is truly an amazing and very well kept secret.

Comments