70 Tanglewood Dr, Pawleys Island, SC 29585
Pawleys Plantation Golf and Country Club
Tingo.com Travelocity Despegar.com

More about Pawleys Island

web shotweb shot

friends in the fountain.friends in the fountain.

Everywhere you turn there is some magnificent surpEverywhere you turn there is some magnificent surp

One of my favorite sculpturesOne of my favorite sculptures

Travel Tips for Pawleys Island

Local Legend: The Gray Man

by acemj

Legend has it that Pawleys Island is haunted. The story goes that back in the early 19th century, a wealthy planter on his way to propose marriage, was thrown from his horse into quicksand and killed. A couple days later, his love was walking on the beach and saw a gray apparition. As she approached the figure, she recognized him as her lover, but when she drew near, he disappeared.

That night she had a vivid nightmare in which she was caught in a storm at sea. Taking it as a sign, the next day she and her family left Pawleys Island for the mainland, just in time to escape a deadly hurricane.

Then in 1893, The Gray Man was spotted again and immediately afterwards a famous storm hit Magnolia Beach just north of Pawleys.

The Gray Man's appearance came to be associated with impending hurricanes. Those who heeded his warning found that they and their property were spared. The Gray Man was also sighted before Hurricane Hugo in 1989, and was the subject of an episode of the television program "Unsolved Mysteries".

A little R & R in Pawleys Island

by acemj

The summer of '97 had its ups and downs. Like all summers in the Carolinas, it was HOT and I must confess, I'm sort of a wimp when it comes to the heat. So when my girlfriend at the time told me that her family was renting a five bedroom beach house on Pawleys Island and that I was welcome to come and relax, I jumped at the chance.

We spent the vacation waking up early and jogging along the shoreline with the low sunlight glinting off the stripes on our sneakers. We tossed the football and frisbee in the sand and sat out on the pier and dangled our feet in the cool waters. Her dad took me shrimpin' and fishin' and late in the evening we'd eat the fruit (er, fish) of our labors. One afternoon, we took the jet skis out and tried to see who could catch the most air by heading straight for the waves and jumping off their crests. But maybe the best thing about the whole vacation was just resting in the shade of the porch, drinking iced sun tea in the ocean breeze and listening to her grandma telling family stories. It doesn't get much better.

Comments