Howard Johnson Rock Hill Sc

Tags

Festivals Music Adventure Travel
See Amenities

Nightmare on Riverview road

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 5, 2012

Sometimes when traveling and looking for an overnight stay, you get caught up in reviews of these $50 a night Hotels, especially recent Five star reviews, but how do you know if their honest or does the hotel manager have a bunch of internet savvy relatives fabricating false descriptive reviews?, Well the latter seems to be the case here. Riverview road is right out of beetlejuice, hotels bunched together with abandoned businesses on what looks to be a psycho game board. Actually the Howard Johnsons inn ROCK HILL shares its borders with an abandoned building, with a high fence that runs around the building, I guess to keep the varmints out. Not exactly reminds you of a family vacation stay over stroll in the park walk from hotel to restaurant.... and back( I promise, the next time I’m passing through, I will take several photos and add them to the review) My stay here was unsettling and not friendly at all..and it got worse... I had been on the road driving for 12 hours straight after getting up at 3am the night before. I had work to finish via the hotel wifi before I could take a shower and unwind. I arrived at the hotel right around 3pm and checked in. My room was in the 100 block, ground floor. It looks like they had renovated the hotel but after further inspection it appears only the few rooms in the 100 block had been partially renovated and the rest of the facility is @&*%. There were only about 5 cars parked within the 100 block and the rest of the hotel seemed abandoned. Some of the furniture in my room was old and outdated; the A/C unit was very old and not cold and had been burned from what looked to be a cigarette. It was hot outside, the A/C was off, so I set the temperature dial on 60 and it was constantly running and stopping for a few minutes at a time. Some of the lights did not work, the hairdryer did not work, the bed was awful, the microwave/refrigerator was old and there was huge dust buildup in the bathroom fan vents. My non smoking room smelled like smoke, actually it was the bathroom that smelled like smoke. I only noticed it after I had unpacked my bags and set up my computer, changed my clothes and went to the bathroom or i would have asked for another room immediately or a refund, but as I said, I had work to get done. The wifi offered by the hotel was NOT WORKING so I called Jack at the front desk, was told it would be reset and that I could call their Internet service provider?? I was like what? Then Jack said he would make the call for me..??? After trying for about hour, still no internet. I could see it was a hardware issue at the hotel and they HAD TO BE fully aware of the issue, I could not even connect on my I-phone so I was off to starbucks a few exits down the road. When I returned the front desk called and told me they had reset the system. I told Jack It was an existing hardware issue and to please get it fixed, I had to leave to finish my work and I would need the internet again, if it’s not fixed in a few hours. After another hour and no WiFi, I went back out for free starbucks Wifi and finished my work. Shortly after returning, the noise started in front of the 100 block. I had the TV on loud enough to drown it out, and it seemed to come in spurts. About 10pm, I turned the TV off. I was so tired and I had to get up at 5am the next morning but the noise kept coming and the smell of smoke suddenly became prevalent. I looked out my window and could see guys standing and talking and smoking but why was my room engulfed with smoke? I checked the A/C unit to find there was no recirculation/fresh switch and that it was pulling all the smoke and air from the outside! I immediately called again, spoke to jack at the front desk, telling him what was happening....he offered to give me some spray for the room! He never offered to do anything about the smoke or people?/tenants? Party? My room.............I told him I had spray of my own in my room (OMG) and I then asked for the manager and he told me she would be there in the morning. I asked him politely to make a note of this AND MY ROOM NUMBER, I would see her in the morning!........After one of the most miserable nights of noise, smoke, all of my belongings smelling like smoke and very little sleep, I checked out of the room about 5:30am. As I tried to enter the lobby, the door was locked! I turned to walk away when I heard a women's voice from a small window. I handed her my room key sleeve, with my room number clearly visible purposely so she would see it. She looked at it and said nothing. I then handed her my key card, she said thanks, have a nice and that was it!...... I was in total shock! How can you manage a hotel and not ask a customer., how was your stay?.........wow!...so much for southern hospitality….As I walked to get in my car through the 100 block, Construction workers with construction shirts started coming out of their rooms. It was coming to me now, thinking they lived there and were the guys I saw smoking last night….Had to be it…I can’t wait to read the list of excuses and I had no idea! Reply to this clearly ACCURATE review… of the nightmare on Riverview road.

Nearby Howard Johnson Rock Hill Sc

• Pets Allowed
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Rock Hill Travel Forum

Need advice about Rock Hill, South Carolina? Visit the Travel Forum for Rock Hill and ask our Answer Gurus.

Rock Hill Travel Guide