Hill City Hotels

• Dymphna1 profile photo Dymphna1
  • Reviews: 214

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Oreville: National Forest Campground

It was a little close to the highway for there to be no noise at night, but it was quiet other than that. The trees are thick in this area and not much room for tents. Vehicles are not allowed on the grass. We used this to our advantage, we told our 4 year old granddaughter that she could not keep any of the rocks because the camp host would count them. Ok, she doesn't but at least we did not have to deal with pockets of rocks.

There is a stand to get your water from, but it is the only water. There are clean outhouses, but no other water for use.

There is an extra charge for bringing pets.

Buy your wood in town - it is less expensive and drier.

We reserved our spots on line. When we got there the camp host, this sweet older lady, came up to check us in. "You paid for 7 nights, so here is a card for a future free night anywhere in Mt Rushmore National park. You get it when you pay for 6 nights." I could not extend my stay, so I have a card for a future free night and refunding the extra night I had paid for was not an option. My son plans to go back next year, so he will be able to use it then.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Camping, Budget Travel, National/State Park
  • Written July 20, 2010
Tip Photo

New pet wolf in diaper - what a future mommy!

• Dymphna1 profile photo Dymphna1
  • Reviews: 214

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Twisted T CG: Hidden secret

This place is located about 3 miles west of Hill City and centrally located for most attractions. It is not on the internet, so it is not know by most. What makes it great is it's rates. For a single person with a tent, $5 a night or $10 a night if there is more than one person. Want full hookups? Try $20 a night. They have running water and pay showers (I was able to shower for a quarter.)

There are no fire pits or wi-fi - so you can hide from your office. There is also little cell coverage in this area. Want to pull the teens away from the texting? I hope they don't go into withdrawals. Call for reservations.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: National/State Park, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written July 20, 2010

• WFTR profile photo WFTR
  • Reviews: 147

I don't remember the name of the campground, but if you drive north from Hill City, it's a right turn just after you leave town. The campground is built on a small peninsula jutting into a small mountain lake. When I stayed there in '88, the only facilities were pit toilets (known as outhouses in much of country). I think they upgraded the facilities later. Mostly, I have pleasant memories of this place from my first stay back in '88. I remember making instant oatmeal at the picnic table and then walking along the shore of the lake in the early morning.

• Opinion of Price: