AmericInn Rapid City

Orbitz.com AmericInn.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Costs 30% more and rated 15% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Rapid City

tortoises petting zootortoises petting zoo

Berlin Wall ExhibitBerlin Wall Exhibit

Dinosaur ParkDinosaur Park

Motel ice machines?

by chickky311

This may sound like a stupid question, but does anyone know if Motel 6 has ice machines? I'll be bringing bottled water and some other stuff in a cooler and I want to be able to keep them cold while I'm there.

RE: Motel ice machines?

by paulinuk2u

which motel 6 plus i dont think americans can survive without ice.i was going to ring to ask but dont know which motel.or you can email them just ask google motel6 they come up just been looking,I did,nt know they were owned by accor

RE: RE: Motel ice machines?

by chickky311

There's only one in Rapid City isn't there? I believe the reservation said its on Latrobe ave. I'll see if I can find an email address on their website maybe.

Travel Tips for Rapid City

Meeting Elders or people

by wolf1964

It's customary to make a gift of tobaco to elders that you visit. Hau Kola is the greeting (means 'hello friend'. Toksha means 'later' (the Lakota have no word for goodbye).

also DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL while you're there.

Bear Country USA

by Dymphna1

This is a must see. It is best on a cooler day if possible, more bears will be out. Most of this is done from inside you vehicle. You drive through the other animals before getting to the bears. There are wolves, rams, dear, and others. Then through the adorable black bears. Just don't open the window!

Then there are areas with babies. This area you walk through. See the revenge of the wolf pups picture. Someone dropped their camera in the kennel and the pup was chewing it up. Say Cheese!?!?!

Warning - road rage can happen here. There was a wait to get to the bears and we waited our turn. Then all of a sudden there were jerks who were passing me as I got close!!! I don't think so!!! I started moving to the center of the road and ending the passing. NO ONE CUTS WITH ME!

Beautiful Landscape

by Hopkid

I've been to Rapid City three times in my life. First was back in 1991 when we were moving from Iowa to California. The main thing I remember from that trip was that it was boiling hot as it was in July. We only went into Badlands National Park to the first or second overlook before heading back to I-90 and dinner in Wall at the famous drug "store". Then we resumed our trek to Rapid where we had planned to spend the night. We drove all day direct from Iowa City...probably around 12 hours. Man, my car's AC was beat after that day! The next morning we hit Mt. Rushmore and then headed back to town to catch I-90 and resume our trek west. Pretty much a whirlwind of a visit.

The past couple of years I've had to return to Rapid for work, first in 2003 and then again in 2005. In '03 my co-workers and I stayed at a nice B&B on the main road between Rapid and the Mt. Rushmore area. It was the summer season and we saw the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore and I marveled at the major renovations that had been completed since my previous visit. Lots and lots of tourists!

I just returned from my last trip there. My co-worker and I finished our work early one day so we high-tailed it out to Badlands National Park (~ 1.5 hours east of Rapid) where I was able, this time, to take a more leisurely drive through the park. Then we sped to Mt. Rushmore (30 minutes south of Rapid) to get there before the visitor's center closed (got there with 15 minutes to spare). This time I made the little loop trek that takes you to the base of the mountain. There were snow flurries that day but it was mostly devoid of tourists and there were deer and mountain goats freely roaming the grounds. Nice!

Comments