Quality Inn Rapid City

Rated 28% lower than similarly priced 2.5 star hotels

More about Quality Inn Rapid City

Yuck!

by TripAdvisor Member rpdmom

Stayed here with my son and his friend for a weekend getaway. First room given was far from pool, pool in another building. Went back and asked for another room, was grudgingly given a room by the pool ($20 more) by a fairly rude desk clerk. Unfortunately, the hotel had booked 3 parties at the pool, so the pool was filled with 30 plus kids and so was the hot tub. By the time the parties were over, the pool was so dirty that we couldnt see the bottom and the hot tub was foaming up because of lotions etc. We left and went to the movies, thinking we could use the pool the next morning....but no, when we got up, it was being drained, as was the hot tub. When asked, the maintenance man very rudely told us he did not know when the pool would be available. With so many other reasonable choices around town, we will find somewhere else to stay next time.

Why the Gold Award???

This is a worn out place that is not worth staying at. The front desk treated us very poorly, when we refused to stay in their annex (dreary rooms filled with mold and mildew), giving us a lower level noisy room not more than 30 feet from the lobby pool. In our reservation, we requested a quiet, upper level room. There was no A/C, since they hadn't turned it on for the season, and the rooms were like ovens, with no windows and absolutely no air circulation. They refused to turn on the A/C when we requested it, also. Our only air came from over the door vents, which we left open--but it also let in all the noise (lots of that!) and smoke from passing smokers. They would not honor their 100% satisfaction guarantee, either. We were definitely not satisfied, but we got no compensation at all. Though we booked 6 nights, we stayed one, then moved out of this terrible place to their competitor behind the hotel and across the street. Will write a review for this place (it's a good hotel) also. Don't stay here at all, if you want a place that's comfortable, clean, quiet and cool, with a friendly staff. This has none of the above.

Not bad, but not a value at all

by TripAdvisor Member Heartogold

We stayed for four nights. The room was basic, but clean. And if you read my past posts, you will know that I am a stickler for cleanlineness. The bed was very comfortable and the shower warm.

The pool was very cold but large enought that we could swim in it despite the full hotel. They close it at 10 PM on the dot. That was ok with us because we know how rough it is to have a poolside room when the pool does not close until very late. You'd never get any sleep. So we thought this was well done on their part here.

The free breakfast was filling but the same thing every day. Scrambled eggs, hash browns and sausage....some cereal and toast or english muffins. That's nothing to complain about. But you might have thought they'd mix in a pancake or piece of bacon or two every other day. By the fourth morning, we were ready to go spend the money to get something different. Many Quality Inns have better "continental" breakfasts than this particular "full breakfast"

Several of the staff were nice to us. However, one front desk worker simply refused to accept that my room key was bad. He reprogrammed it twice, would not give me new one. He kept trying to tell me how they demagnetize. But, I've sort of stayed in a few hotels over the years and think I have a pretty good handle on how a key works. It doesn't just demagnetize in your back pocket. Oh well.

The price was a bit unreasonable because of the holiday. We paid $116 per night. So this is not in any way a hotel that is a good value. We got about $79 worth of hotel and eats.

Now the truly frustrating part came on the first night. I had booked online and they had my reservation waiting for me. But as I was checking in, a woman called on the phone and I heard the clerk tell her that they had one room left for the next two nights. It was a suite and it was $229 per night. Then, in the next breath she said, that she could let it go for $129 per night. The woman on the phone did not accept the offer at the moment. So I said, hey I'll take that.. But I was told that I was already reserved and that I would have to pay the full price if I were to take the suite. I couldn't figure that one out. Later, when I came down to get my key reprogrammed for the first time, the woman from the phone call came in and started to argue with the clerk that she had told her that the suite would go for $129 for two nights.....and now she was without a room. This, was of course a line of bull. But the clerk gave up and gave her the suite for a total of $65 per night while I had booked weeks earlier and was paying nearly twice that for a basic double double room....not even double queen.

So, I guess this place was ok. I might go back. But most likely I would look elsewhere first.

Nice place

by TripAdvisor Member PJTMichigan

While on our trip, we stayed at 6 hotels/motels. This Quality Inn was one of the two great values that we encountered. The room was small, but comfortable and clean. The front desk people were very helpful, but we kept having trouble with our electronic key cards not working. The hairdryer was nicer than others I've seen. The hot breakfast was eggs, hashbrowns, meat, donuts, toast and english muffins. It was kind of boring after 4 days, but it gave us a great start, and kept us going most of the day. Very nice pool. Note to Cingular/AT&T cell phone customers, SD has no service there!

Horrible- False advertisement

by TripAdvisor Member jennifermichele

We had to stay in this hotel as we had a corporate budget. All other hotels in the area were much more money.

Where to start:
First, we show up and the front agent was ..well.. some words I guess I shouldn't say on here. We come inside, she starts our registrations and needed our license numbers. So we go ahead and get the numbers and start bringing our bags in, which she knew! Well after we come in with ALL our stuff (4 people), she then says we are in the next building and we can not walk over with our bags- we had to load them back in the car and turn the corner to find out the hotel has OUTSIDE DOORS- totally unsafe~

Second, the main hotel SMELLS really strong of chlorine from the indoor pool.

Third, the rooms are outdated, there has not been any renovations as they said there was. The beds are so bad, I can't imagine how bad our backs/necks are going to be!

No fridges, microwaves, old chairs, ugly lamps, old phones, and I think a 1980 clock radio.

Great pool

by TripAdvisor Member HawkItraveler

On our week long trip through South Dakota, this hotel had the best pool which was important to our teens after long days in the car.

The pool is very large and has a deep end - over 8 feet. It was also the most enjoyable pool side to sit by for the parents as it is in a large atrium area of the hotel, so the noise from all the swimmers wasn't unbearable as it sometimes is in the small, separate pool rooms that some hotels have.

The hot tub was large, so could accomdate a large number of guests and it was nice and warm. There is also a game room, pool tables, air hockey, etc. for the kids to use.

Originally we had not booked a pool side room, but upgraded when we saw the set up as non pool side rooms are actually in a different building. We were happy we changed.

This is an older hotel and the rooms are a little tired, but the great pool made up for that.

A breakfast buffet was included and it was a bit better then many complimentary breakfasts.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Rapid City where the pool is important. If just want a nice room, there are probably nicer rooms in newer hotels in the area.

Good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jeopardy_d

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and it didn't disappoint me.

They have a hot breakfast, a rarity for quality inn. it's rather simple and can get crowded. The pool looks very nice but I didn't get to use it.

Right off I90, and very close to Rushmore Mall and other shopping centers. Rooms are very clear and FD staff are very helpful.

Free internet, but there appears a limit on how many ppl can connect at a given time.

TERRIBLE - Don't stay here

by TripAdvisor Member Mom1148

We were meeting another couple at the Quality Inn in Rapid City, SD. Two handicapped rooms had been reserved two months in advance for a 7 day stay. Upon arriving, we were informed that there was one official ADA accessible room and another "handicapped" room that wasn't really handicapped but had a grab bar in the shower. A plastic adapter was available for the toilet to make it higher (as it should have been without an adapter). Three nights into the stay, the temperature dipped into the 40's and there was NO HEAT. The front desk offered to bring extra blankets but that doesn't help when you have to get up to shower and dress. Each time these issues were addressed with the front desk and/or the hotel manager and the answer was "You can move to another hotel". This was not much of an option because we are both retired and on a limited budget. We planned on the hotel price that we were given and moving to another hotel meant an increase of $30-$40 per night. It just wasn't in our budget. The "free" breakfast buffet was barely edible since the hot food was barely warm and they served the same items each day for 7 days (scrambled eggs, sausage links, hash browns, fruit, cereal, toast/english muffins, and plain cake donuts). I would not recommend this place to anyone. If I had read the other reviews before booking, I am sure I would have planned differently and made other arrangements. South Dakota was beautiful and we would like to return in the future but we won't be staying at the UNquality INN, that's for sure.

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member teacher52

We could handle the registration difficulties and the outdated rooms but the noise was unbearable. It took 4 phone calls to the desk to get the pool area cleared and quiet at 11:40 pm. I heard voices outside our room at 5:00 am and I looked out the door. It was the police. Yikes!

Quality inn not full of quality

by TripAdvisor Member stevenage_saint

This was the second hotel on our honeymoon, and to be honest it was not the best. The room was clean, but they had no lift to the second floor and the car park was not well lit. The staff at times were not very friendly and did not want to help when we checked in. When you asked a question they did not really want to answer it.
The breakfast was OK nothing special but it was food and warm

Comments