827 Broad Street, Chattanooga, Tennessee, 37402, United States

Sheraton.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• Why is this Hotel Rated so high !

My husband and I decided to stay here because they offered the Aquarium package which includes: two adult aquarium & IMAX tickets, and a $10 Starbucks voucher. It seemed like a good deal so we reserved a king suite room for the night. The hotel wasn't to hard to find and when we arrived, we were greeted by the only helpful people during our whole stay: the Valet Attendants ! They were very friendly & helpful....

The room seemed quite small as we walked in. It was clean but very cold . At first the bed seemed soft when we laid down on it, but after a few hours it felt hard as a rock. My husband can usually sleep on anything, but this time we BOTH were up all night. Didn't get one wink of sleep. Besides the room being clean, the shower was the best part of our stay. The water pressure was excellent and we both had plenty of hot water. Since we only stayed one night, we didn't get to go in the pool or use the gym . They both seemed very nice.

Besides the bed being horrible, I have to mention the terrible check-out service. For one thing I was surprised that they had only one girl at the counter. I thought all I had to do was drop the key off and be on my way....but no....they had me wait in line. It seemed like the people ahead of me were having problems paying and were overly chit chatting with the clerk. It could of been a 1 minute ordeal for me that ended up being at least 10 or 15 minutes. It might seem like I'm making a big deal out of this but to me the little things count. By the time it was my turn I was irritated. After handing her my key, I asked her for a comment card , but as I was hurrying out I realized she tricked me and gave me something else !

Will not be Returning !

Unique Quality: Hotel was in a good location & had Valet !

• Worst Expensive Restaurant, Mediocre Service

My husband & I booked the Romantic Getaway weekend, with high hopes for relaxing & a bit of pampering, & made reservations for dinner at Porter's, the restaurant on site. The room was satisfactory- a bit small & dark, small bathroom to be expected in an older hotel, but comfy bed. However, we called to have our wine & cheese tray sent up to the room and an hour and a half later, barely before reservations for dinner, it hadn't arrived. But dinner was the most astonishing ordeal I've been through in quite a while. The hostess was pleasant, the room attractive. I'm a cook, & we eat out often, so we know food. I hate to say this, but this was absolutely the most pitiful excuse for a meal I've ever been served, and especially with such pretentions. To start with, the wine list didn't have vintages- maybe OK for the regular list, but not the Captain's. The bread was cold & partially raw- like brown & serve rolls they forgot to brown. My husband's lobster bisque was glistening orange & the consistency exactly of melted velveeta & tasted exactly like flour and clam juice. His spoon stood up in it. I, however, got the soup- my spinach & roasted beet salad consisted of spinach leaves floating in a soup of dressing, and three raw beets with the roots not even cleaned off. We sent these dishes back. Everything is a la carte, so nothing is included in the $28 steak price- not a single side. We each order a filet, mine plain, his their "famous" pepperloin, and we ordered medium rare, and we ordered sides, at $8 a pop. The presentation was this: a piece of meat squarely in the center of a huge white plate with nary a parsley leaf. They forgot to bring the sides we ordered. When I cut into my steak, it was so well-done it was gray. My husband's was also completely well done. At this point, we called the floor manager, paid for our drinks and our bottle of wine, and took a cab to St. John's, an absolutely lovely restaurant in downtown Chattanooga. Because breakfast was included in our package, we ventured, with trepidation, to the buffet the next morning. I won't bore you with more details, but let me just say the orange juice was from a frozen can, the grits were cold and raw, there were three or four soggy potato pieces, and nothing was remotely warm. We were too embarrassed at this point to even say anything. It was a horrible experience all the way around. I'm sorry to give such a horrible review, but I've never experienced anything so bad in a place that's supposed to be nice. Chattanooga is a charming place and has much better to offer.

Directions: downtown

• Wonderful Three Night Stay

My friend and I had a wonderful three night stay at the Sheraton Read House in Chattanooga, TN. during October 2008. I can't say enough good things. We were on the Club Floor and very much enjoyed the staff, breakfast and appetizer hours.

A beautiful old hotel, a real treat to stay. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. Our room, and the fitness center I visited were kept very clean. The bed was heaven.

This is not to say the hotel didn't have a few small problems. What large hotel doesn't. Over all, a beautiful stay in beautiful downtown Chattanooga.

BTW, I'm not part of the staff or connected to the establishment in anyway. Just a hard working woman in Kentucky who had a great stay at the Read House.

Directions: Downtown Chattanooga, TN.

• Terrible Hotel, Item Stolen

I am convinced anyone writing a positive comment regarding the Sheraton Read Hotel Chattanooga is being done so by the hotel staff. Just read the comments below. Who is going to bother including that much description on a hotel review? If they are they missed their calling in life & need to be in hotel sales. Sounds like straight up marketing trying to make up for people like me that were very unhappy. I work in customer service & I can tell you the only time people are going to bother responding to surveys or writing on blogs is when they are usually upset. No news is usually good news.

To start off we requested an early check in due to a 2pm wedding. They did not have our room ready & we had to get ready in the hotel lobby restroom. The front desk staff was extremely rude. The reception held in the silver ball room was an hour late & guests were having to stand around the entire time.

To make matters worse in between waiting for our room we checked in our luggage at the front desk. Then someone from the hotel staff moved it to "storage". When I got my bag back my $400 camera that was tucked in an inside pocket was no longer there. Obviously, someone from hotel staff handling our bags went through & took it! I had to submit a police report.

Breakfast is $24 for two & the free breakfast at a Motel 6 would have been better. Big deal they have Starbucks. The rooms were stuffy & had no temperature control.

This was the worst hotel experience I have EVER had. I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at the Sheraton Read in Chattanooga. Lack of managment present, terrible customer service, can't trust staff, not worth the money...stay somewhere else if you want to enjoy your stay away from home!

Unique Quality: The best part about this hotel was when we left!

• Terrible Item Stolen

This was the worst hotel experience I have EVER had. We requested an early check in for a 2pm wedding & they didn't have the room ready. We had to get ready in the public restroom. Then we left our baggage at the front desk & they moved it to "storage". Somewhere in between there my $400 camera was stolen out of an inside pocket of my bag from one of the hotel workers. Either bell boy or front desk person. The front desk staff was rude & unhelpful. The reception held there was an hour late on their set up making family members stand around. Breakfast was $24 for two & would have been better from a free continental breakfast at a Motel 6. Please don't stay at the Sheraton Read. This hotel has caused me a lot of headaches not to mention the loss of a irreplaceable item.

Unique Quality: Pretty hotel since it is older but wasn't very clean & hotel staff at front desk very rude/

• Chattanooga's worst hotel

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The hotel overbooks, the reservation you guarantee has no meaning to the staff, and you probably won't get the room you requested. The staff are rude and stuffy. The rooms are humid, noisy, the bathroom tile work looks like the restoration crew had never laid tile. Grout was dirty with cracks and gaps at the wall. The Porters STeakhouse was the worst $150.00 meal for two I have ever had. Mcdonalds would have been better. Lobster was tough and over cookedm meat was undercooked, the restaurant manager was clueless and rude. He seemed inexperienced and arrogant. He treated his patrons rude and upper management didn't seem to mind.
    Save your money, this place is overpriced and undermanaged.

Unique Quality: pretty old woodwork.. renovations are cheaply done

Directions: downtown

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Our Favorite Hotel in Chattanooga

On a trip to Chattanooga in February, 2006, Karen and I decided to stay at the elegant and historic Read House in the heart of downtown Chattanooga. It was a great choice. This hotel, operated by Sheraton, is a first class business hotel, but also popular with tourists. By finding an internet weekend special we got our room at a reasonable price too.

Unique Quality: The Read House lives up to its claim of "classic comforts with modern flair." It is a historic hotel with gorgeous Georgian architecture, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and also Historic Hotels of America. Yet it has been upgraded to include every modern convenience. Our standard room came complete with a sitting area and a spacious desk. The "Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed" was a pleasure to sleep on - much more comfortable than your typical hotel mattress.

The hotel is ideally situated, on the Chattanooga free Electric Shuttle route and within walking distance of the Tennessee Aquarium plus numerous other attractions, restaurants and shopping.

The many amenities include a new indoor pool with a cascading waterfall alongside the courtyard and terrace. There is a new state-of-the-art workout facility, and also a fine restaurant where we enjoyed breakfast.

Directions: Near the center of downtown Chattanooga, eight blocks south of the Tennessee River.

• grishaV1's Profile Photo

A Hotel And Historical Monument I Guess!

The Sheraton Read House is a hotel that is more than just that. It is really a historical monument as well even if it has been renovated recently. It can be one of those places you stay only rarely, special occasions, honeymoons, or if you have lots of money all the time. I don´t. The times I´ve stayed was when a friend worked there who could get discounts on rooms, when they were renovating you could get reduced rates, and when I had a nice time with my Friend (nice suite then ;-) Room rates can range greatly, you can have a single sleeper room for around $79, but some exclusive suites can run up into the few $100s of dollars, just have to ask for rates based on what you need and wish to pay.

When you walk into the lobby, no foyer is better work, more proper, you will notice the beautiful chandeliers, artwork and intricate detailing all around. You want me to describe our room? I will be glad to. The room we had was moderate level, a suite. Not penthouse level or anything but it was wonderful. We walked into a room witht high ceiling done in a lovely pale green color, walls and furnishings, very tasteful generous spacing. A small refrigerator was provided with of course liquors, you pay for these if you take. A divan, a television, tables, comfortable chairs to relax in, some usual things in a room, but the first opened into a second room, the bedroom which also have a nice wardrobe with television inside. Huge room, so comfortable. I can´t say how nice! If you can stay just one time, you should! The bathroom was also large and even fit us, we are 193cms and 199cms, even we were comfortable in the large bathtub and necessity.

If you are visiting downtown attractions, there are many other nice hotels as well with less expensive rates, but if a special trip please try to book this one. The service is great, staff is nice, it is quiet and relaxing. It is convenient to many attractions, plus near enough the highway you can go around to anyplace else you need to easily.

Unique Quality: They also have rooms for meetings, events, things like these. Starbucks Coffee is off the lobby and Porter´s Steakhouse are near to have dinner or whatever. They have 24 hours service to rooms. With a special person at your side you have everything you need here, and now the inside pool is ready I read, cascading waterfall too, all the rage right now for hotels ;-) Plus a new workout room that is fab.

Pricing was hard to do, the rooms range from around $80 up over $200. Our suite room looked very much like the one on the foto from their website.

Directions: 827 Broad Street, Chattanooga, Tennessee 37402 United States

More about Sheraton Read House Hotel

Historic (YEah)

We spent 2 months in the Spring of 2004 working on a project in town and staying at the Read House at company expense. After the first day the beauty of the main lobby wears off.
Don't eat anything from the hotel kitchen. The city health dept. should be notified.
After exiting the building via the service elevator during renovation health concerns like asbestos and lead contamination became very real. Not to menton the fact the ice machine scoop for the kitchen ice machine was being stored on top of the machine laying in pools of dirty water and god knows what ?

Both Starbucks and Porter's steak house have new kitchen facilities the hotel does not. "If the walls could talk".

The building infrastucture is totally falling apart.
Whole sections of some of the rooms are being "walled" in because of asbestos concerns.
I could go on...
Any place is better than this.

Beautiful hotel, outstanding service

I recently stayed at the Read House for a quick fall getaway. The renovation done on this hotel is breathtaking. The staff was overly helpful and courteous. Every staff member I passed while walking around the hotel said hello to us. The friendliess staff, great food at the restaurant and Starbucks (can't leave home without it!) made our stay so comfortable. For what you get at this hotel you would think the price would be 5 times what they charge, such a deal. We will definitely be back again soon!

Great Service! Beautiful Hotel!

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Read House on October 8. We decided on the Read House after comparing it with some of the other hotels in the immediate area. From the moment we walked in I could tell that we made the right decision. Check-in was smooth and the staff was very helpful. We had a gorgeous room with a view of the mountains. The bed was SO comfortable!

We had dinner at Porter’s downstairs. I was very impressed by the service and by the food. The restaurant manager even approached us while we were having cocktails at the bar and asked us how our dinner was! This really meant a lot to us since we are from Miami and RARELY ever have this kind of hospitality.

Overall we had a wonderful experience and will definitely go back. The Read House is a great place to relax!

Comments