Edgewater Hotel - Gatlinburg

Hotels.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• carrie.kindred's Profile Photo

Clean, Cheap and Comfortable

Edgewater Hotel was exactly what my friends and I were looking for when we went to Gatlinburg: It was nice, clean, comfortable, reasonably quiet, in the center of town, and most importantly, it was cheap! Gatlinburg sucks enough money out of tourists. We didn't want to waste anything extra on our hotel.

The room was a semi-spacious double bed room with a balcony. It was plenty big enough for the three of us to spread out in. The hotel has its own parking garage, so finding a place wasn't an issue. The staff was excellent, friendly and efficient. The pool and hot tub area was nice enough -- nothing spectacular, but clean, roomy, heated, and well maintained. The pool is both indoor and outdoor, and the hot tub is of average size. There was also free in-room wifi. The location was great! We were able to walk to most of the downtown attractions we wanted to see.

My only complaint was that the free provided breakfast was a little less than generous. There were cold pasteries and juice...and that was about it. This wasn't too much of an inconvenience though, because a big part of the fun in Gatlinburg is indulging in a pancake breakfast in town.

All in all, it was a nice place, and I'd both recommend it and stay there again.

NOTE: We booked through Expedia and got a great rate. No problems at check in.

Unique Quality: The staff was really welcoming and helpful. The rooms were very clean and well kept. The pool was a lot of fun. Even though our room was on the back side, there was a cute little balcony. The main elevator is glass and overlooks the town...that was pretty neat too. ;)

The age requirement for check in is 18, so it's a great place for college kids to stay.

Great website, listed below.

Directions: Directly next to the aquarium, right in the middle of downtown.

• Gatlinberg Hotel by the "river" :)

This hotel is well located, close to "downtown" Gatlinberg. It is a minute away from the ski lift area, and a quick 2 min walk gets you to the main street - bustling enough for you to enjoy a weekend and the cool mountain air. There's live music nearby and lots of food!

The hotel itself, is average. The room size is alright - I remember the lighting being pretty dim. However, in Gatlinberg - you dont really spend much time in the room, with all the activity right outside.

They have plenty of parking at this hotel.

I did like the fact that there was a little stream right outside the hotel. It made for a pleasant walk by that side.

The staff at the front desk will answer your questions about what to do and how to get there. They were nice and quite helpful. We were there on a long weekend, and they even told us the best time and route to leave the city so that we could beat the traffic.

All in all - as a hotel - it's average. The service was friendly and helpful.

Unique Quality: That rivulet outside the hotel. Also, there is a "house of horrors" or mystery mansion type of set-up,right next door - for those who like that.

It is located very well, albeit 2 mins off the main street.

• vhasouth's Profile Photo

One of the Best Locations in Gatlinburg

The Edgewater is an excellent hotel located 1/2 block of the main strip in Gatlinburg. The rooms were extremely clean, the hotel well-maintained. The indoor/outdoor pool & hot tubs were enjoyed by my family.

The staff of the Edgewater went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and had what we neede. Extra towels, shampoo, coffee...no problem.

Since we were there in the winter season, the covered parking was excellent. Yes, the parking is tight. But I'd rather squeeze in a spot than be exposed to cold rain.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who'd like to go to Gatlinburg.

Directions: As you enter Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge, fork right onto River Road at Ripley's Aquarium. The Edgewater is on your right past the River Terrace.

More about Edgewater Hotel - Gatlinburg

Nice, clean hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Tamara6959

Me and my husband just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel. Overall, I think it is an average hotel.

The rooms were of average size. They were a little outdated but kept clean. We had an end room with balcony overlooking the woods-very nice. Only complaint--when you walked in the room there was a very strong, musty smell. Once you were in the room for a few minutes you didn't notice it, but it would knock you out when you first walked in!

The pool was an indoor/outdoor pool where you can swim from the indoors to the outdoor. Again, a little outdated, but certainly enjoyable. There were also 2 spas next to the pool.

This hotel is located on the road that is behind the strip, so you are close to everything, but don't have to deal with the noise. They also offer a continental breakfast of cereal, bagels, toast, juice, etc.

This hotel was where Bluegreen Vacations put us for our stay to come visit their timeshatre property so we did not pay for these rooms. I have no idea what the going rate for the rooms here is, but if the price was less than $50.00 a night, I would stay here again.

Enjoyed the Stay

My girlfriend and I had a hard time deciding where to stay on our recent trip to Gatlinburg, but the location of the Edgewater eventually sold us. We had contemplated Zoder's and some others further up the strip, and I'm glad we picked the Edgewater....Most attractions were within walking distance. The parking garage was nice to have so you knew your vehicle was safe, and always had a place to park. We thought the room was adequate, not too fancy, but clean and always well attended by the staff. We stayed three nights and always had plenty of fresh towels each and every afternoon. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The pool area was unqiue and cozy. The continental breakfast wasn't spectacular, but it was good enough to get you going in the morning. Make sure you ask for a "River View", that way you can see all the sights downtown and also the stream running below the balconies is nice to watch. We had a great time in Gatlinburg and the Edgewater will definitely be our choice to stay when we go back there with the kids next summer. P.S. I called the hotel directly instead of booking online and got a better rate than the online reservations showed.

great location

by TripAdvisor Member vixtravels

Hotel has a good location within walking distance of everything. Parking garage was nice. When checking in--the host/hostess could at least let us know that they had a continental breakfast and where it is located.. Did not know any of this until after getting home and researching the hotel to see if there were other properties in the U.S. Balcony was too small. nice view of the river though. When checking in, the first room they gave us was filthy and not cleaned so they gave us a different room--no discount offered for their mistakes though. Never used the pool but it looked ok. Really had a nice time in Gatlinburg though--lots to see and do.

Great hotel, great location to stay in Gatlinburg

I was really impressed with this hotel for many reasons. It was nice to have parking for the hotel in a parking garage which kept you out of the rain or the heat. It was conveinent to walk anywhere in the downtown/tourist area too. There is a nice walk-way over the river to the side walk in the front of the hotel. We saw ducks swimming and fish jumping in the river right in front of the hotel. (The picture attached was taken the day we checked out and the river looks muddy cause it had rained early that morning.)
There were luggage carousels to load up our belongings to take up to our room which really helped because we would have been making about 4 trips up the elevator otherwise. The staff at the front desk were very friendly too.
Our room was on the 5th floor and overlooked the pool. The rooms were clean and updated. We used the pool and hot tub both nights that we stayed there. The pool stays open late which was nice. Actually there is two hot tubs so if there are too many people in one, use the other.
The elevator has full length glass to overlook the mountains and part of Gatlinburg. It is a beautiful view especially in the morning.
The continental breakfast is great. Lots of choices and the ladies that organize it have a Southern Hospitality about them. The only complaint is the toasters didn't work very well.
This would be my first choice if we ever get back to Gatlinburg.

Not for us anymore

by TripAdvisor Member AlabamaPat

We have stayed at the Edgewater for the past 15 years, every Halloween and have always enjoyed the location, the great parking situation, the indoor pool and hot tub. This visit, they had a convention, and are experimenting with a continental breakfast, since the restaurant has closed. On our last morning, we went down for breakfast at the regular time, not noticing that the time had changed (for the conventioners to enjoy a full breakfast)not complaining, as I am sure they paid extra for it in their package, but when we arrived, we noticed it was a full breakfast with a continental set up partially. We filled our coffee cup (in a plastic cup-no styrofoam was available) and the staff asked us if we were part of the convention people, when we answered no-they said OH this is for the convention. We left our plastic cup of coffee on the table, went to the desk, complained, and was told "they were supposed to send you around here for a voucher." (They did however in all fairness, adjust our bill $20.00, so one day they didn't receive the full $136. for their room.) Nothing was said about any voucher only after they saw it had irritated us they said "Oh but you can go ahead and eat we aren't going to take it up". Now this is after you are first refused because you aren't part of the convention. The rooms are in bad need of updating, our bathroom was a constant concern that it would overflow when flushed. The view is wonderful, the river view rooms have a great view of the town as well as the river and we really hate to give it up, but even the spreads on the beds are worn out as well as the blankets. It is not the best kept place and we have hoped over the past few years that surely they would do something before we go back the next year, but that isn't the case. So they won't have to worry about us visiting them again!

Never, Ever Again

by TripAdvisor Member tekgnm

We received a voucher from a family member for a 3 night stay at certain locations in the United States. We chose Gatlinburg, TN, and the only hotel choice was the Edgewater Hotel.

Location - This location is prime for walking and touring the strip. Nearly walk across the street and you are there. It is off the strip, but close to the strip. It is very close to Christus Gardens.

Parking - The parking is awful! Yes, there is a garage for Edgewater guests only, but larger vehicles will struggle backing up without hitting other cars. Also, the garage is small and cracked which causes water leaks when it rains.

Service - We had mixed results with the service. The check-in woman was rather curt with us. I asked a simple question about the bill and she responded hastily as if it was a bother. I had called much earlier and spoke with Housekeeping. I asked if they had plastic sheets to cover the matress in case of accidents. She told me she wasn't sure what I was talking about, and when I explained further she flatly told me they did not have such things. We had another run-in with Housekeeping on the elevator while leaving for dinner. This woman was very polite and friendly and struck up small chit-chat with us while waiting. As for the cleaning part, Housekeeping was average, nothing more.

Room - This is probably the worst part which is why I will never stay again. The room was terribly smelly! It was dark and drab even when lights were turned on in the evening. The decor was completely lacking. I was shocked to not see a single decoration, painting, etc. anywhere! The room was spacious. We had two trashcans that were large enough to hold 2 soda cans and a napkin. There were 2 small lamps in between the 2 beds, and one lampshade was dented. It also had a much dimmer lightbulb as opposed to the other. It seemed very unprofessional. Our A/c vent was rusted badly.(See pictures) My husband turned on the cool switch, and black particles flew out of it into the air. Further inspection showed it was terribly rusted and the paint had chipped off into the vent. I really question the safety of inhaling paint chips. (I had my husband open the sliding door for air instead) The bathroom, however, takes the cake for the review. We were greeted by a large, hunter green marble vanity with a ridiculously scratched up sink. (picture included) The rusted drain did not drain at all the enitre stay. The amenities we received in the bathroom consisted of one shampoo and one soap. The shower was adequate, but stained. We did have enough towels for four, thank goodness.

Pool - There is an outdoor and indoor pool. The outdoor pool was small and dingy around the outside areas. The indoor pool was heavily chlorinated and small. It, however, was very clean. The hot tubs looked, again, small, but clean. There was no kiddie pool.

Arcade - Okay, I am not sure this can even be classified an arcade. It had several outdated game machines and that was it. There were a couple of pinball machines as well. We were expecting an "ARCADE", not 4 game machines crammed into a small space called the Mezzazine. It also had a bad smell in this area.

Breakfast - Breakfast was a small buffet with limited hot selections and a lot of generic pastry/cereals. The dining room was well-maintained, and the waitress that was working was attentive to your needs overall.

In summary, I was very disappointed in this hotel. I was expecting much better quality based on their website. Although the outside is quite lovely with the scenery and the location is great, it does not make up for lousy accomodations. The awful smell of the room made us feel ill most of our stay, and I did not feel safe having the A/C on at all. I contacted the Ciara Group Company that provided us with our accomodations. I also submitted our room pictures. The Ciara Group contacted the management of the Edgewater in July who was supposed to get in contact with me. I haven't yet heard anything from them, and it is already November.

Yikes!

by TripAdvisor Member Lisa18

Well, as previous posts have stated the location of this hotel is awesome. But it is very outdated. Dont even bother using the elevators. You'll get to your room quicker if you use the stairs. The rooms were scary. Very outdated, nothing on the walls, walls were very thin, bathroom seriously outdated but yes, plenty of towels! The tiny balcony overlooking the river is very cool though. The beds were very hard but still managed to sleep well which I was surprised about. I would not stay here again unless everything else was booked.

Comments