Garden Plaza Hotel Gatlinburg

520 Historic Nature Trail, (Form. Holiday Inn SunSpree), Gatlinburg, Tennessee, 37738, United States

Despegar.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 24% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Not worth the money!

My husband and I booked this hotel for this past weekend. We arrived Friday night and went in the main entrance to check in. The front lobby looked okay but right away I was not feeling very comfortable. We got the map to our room and keys and drove around to the back of the hotel to a very dark parking area which really scared me. As soon as we walked in the back of the hotel I couldn't believe what I was seeing. DIRTY DIRTY floors, wall paper peeling off with mold on them. It smelled HORRIBLE! Well, we walked to our room opened the door and the room was FREEZING! The room was not inviting AT ALL! So we turned some heat on and was looking around the toilet had a black ring in it, tub was dirty, floors looked awful! I looked at my husband and could tell he was thinking the same thing I was. He called the front desk and asked if we could have our money back. She was very nice and said sure come on up. I understand that this is an older hotel but it was just ridiculous! I would not recommend anyone to stay here. We went up the road to a very popular hotel for just $20.00 more and had a very comfortable CLEAN stay!

• Not too shabby

Okay , if you have never went here before don't listen to most the people on this list. It's actually a very nice, family fun hotel. Most people going to Gatlinburg arent even that worried about there hotel just because the views and many attractions. But if you are then theres soo much to do. If you want to just chill and tan then theres a pool outside, if your skin is to weak for that then there's a pool inside. They have a gameroom, exercise room and two resturants. As far as i know the pizza resturant stays open till atleast 10 . Overall, i WOULD go back again.

Unique Quality: 4 minute walk to the strip.
    Pets allowed.
    Great pool and hot tub.
    Awesome game room.

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

Good location, nice pool area, & affordable!

I booked the Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort because I wanted a place on Airport Road (the heart of Gatlinburg so to speak), wanted a place great for kids, wanted indoor pools, and well one of the main needs was PRICE.

It was the most affordable place I could find that fit what we wanted. The check-in & check-out process was painless & fast. I requested a non-smoking room and we got it; if you press for this, you won't be stuck in some stinky room. I told the lady we have one child with asthma & one with a heart condition, and 2 adults who don't like stinky stuff. SO we got ourselves a non-smoking room. I have heard on other websites that even if you request a non-smoking room, ya get stuck in a smoking anyway; well if you let them know from the get-go you NEED non-smoking (for health reasons, and no, I didn't lie about the kids), they will accomodate your health needs!

We received vouchers & coupons upon check in, which was nice. $20 of vouchers per DAY for breakfast at Louie's, the on-site restaurant just a short flight down from our room. This proved to be really nice!!! Kids eat free anyway at the Holiday Inn; and the $20 totally covered my fiance and myself for all the grub we consumed in the morning. Really great pancakes (yes I had pancakes again) and even though the waitress was a little poofy-brained, she gave me my OWN CARAFE OF COFFEE so I fell in love with her.

Giving a coffee-addicted woman a whole carafe to herself deserves high praise.

The pool was very clean; the outdoor pool wasn't opened yet but I'm sure it was nice. Anyhoo we stayed in the lobby tower; just above the restaurant & looking down over the indoor pool. The pool itself was nice & warm, towels provided, lots of chairs to sit in.

Unique Quality: We didn't visit Sade & Dora's Lounge; which was onsite & right next to Louie's where we had breakfast in the morning. It looked pretty nice; cocktails, beer, etc. that apparently you are allowed to bring poolside -- I saw several people with beer in cups. Which is cool. Nothing like getting really hammered & going swimming.

The hot tub was nice; it was really hot the first 2 days, then on the 3rd day, became "lukewarm". Never really overcrowded, I mean you have to limit yourself to 15 minutes anyway to avoid passing out. The scenery was pretty nice around the hotel (behind it anyway); the streams, trees, mountains.

Some people might balk at having to walk the distance each morning and then, walk back up the hill. The trolley stops right outside the Holiday Inn; if ya don't feel like walking downtown & back, take the trolley! But for nice, temperate days? Walk. It's a nice distance & you get to shop & talk along the way.

Directions: Look for the Space Needle; make a Left. Go on up & turn right into the Holiday Inn at the big pink sign.

• vhasouth's Profile Photo

Have a Holiday @ the Holiday

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort on 2 occasions. Both times we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We did find that staying in the Tower was quieter than staying in the Main Building.

There is a fairly long walk to get to the main strip in Gatlinburg or you can wait and take the trolley.

We have had good luck at the motel and would recommend it.

Unique Quality: In the Tower Building there is an indoor pool and jacuzzi. At last check, the sauna was not working.

There is also an indoor pool and jacuzzi in the main building. Depending on your rate plan, you may be able to include breakfast with your stay. The breakfast buffet is standard, but good.

• The kids love it!

The Holiday Inn Sunspree is an older hotel and it shows. The carpet is very seventies. The fixtures and walls show their age, but overall it's a nice place to stay, especially for the kids. It has several buildings; we stayed in the Holidome so my experience is limited to this building.

Our room was on the 4th floor with an interior door overlooking the indoor pool. We had a great view of the entire courtyard area. The room was a bit small but nicely furnished and equipped with a dorm-size refrigerator, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, alarm clock, and cable TV. We had a king-size bed and a sofa sleeper. The room was fairly clean.

We were provided with individual coffee filter packs (regular & decaf) and newspaper daily.

Our refrigerator was more of a freezer than a fridge and there was no adjustment. It froze most everything we put it in. The last morning we were there we opened the fridge to find that a canned drink had frozen and exploded, making a huge mess.

The holidome has no elevator and we were on the 4th floor, but the layout of the building is such that it was only one flight of stairs up to our room if we parked on the north side. The building is built on a hill so parking in back is much lower than parking in the front.

We didn't eat at either of the restaurants in the hotel. Louie's Restaurant advertised adult meals for $9.99. Little Caesar's only had two sizes of pizza available: individual-sized or medium. We started to order Little Caesar's pizza delivered to our room but after staying on the phone on hold for several minutes we hung up and ordered Genos instead.

All the employees were very courteous and helpful.

Unique Quality: The Holidome building includes the lobby, Louie's Restaurant, Little Caesar's Pizza, a small general store, a fitness room and a game room with ping pong tables and air hockey. The open courtyard is 3 stories tall and includes an arcade with several video games and a pool table, an indoor pool, and a hot-tub.

My son loved the indoor pool, game room, and arcade. The hotel was hopping with kids and is very family-friendly.

Directions: a short walk north of the parkway at redlight #8

More about Garden Plaza Hotel Gatlinburg

Not in its heyday anymore...

by TripAdvisor Member fredandkell

I stayed at this hotel about 10-12 years ago and really enjoyed it. We decided to book a room there in 2002 based on the good memories.

Well, in the 10-12 years since I visited, the place has gone downhill.
The room had a weird smell and the heater made funny noises. It was pretty expensive (near $100) but the amenities were not comparable to the price.

The main attraction to this hotel is the proximity to all of Gatlinburg's attractions. It is within prime walking distance to everything. So if you can get a rate of $50 to $60, it's worth it...otherwise, try the Edgewater or better yet, rent a cabin - try Karr's Cabins, they are great.

Great Christmas getaway for the family!

Like a previous reviewer, I had already booked my room when I went online and read these horrid reviews and was terrified that my Holiday getaway would be a disaster. Nothing could be further from the truth.
My husband and I, 2 teenagers and the Mini Schnauzer enjoyed every second of our stay. Our room was in the Holidome right above the pool and we had none of the noise many of these reviewers have mentioned.
The room had no strange noises or smells. We ate the buffet breakfast every morning - great food at a great price. We could let the kids go the game room or pool area and if we wanted to check on them all we had to do was look out our door. Although we are campers and rarely stay in hotels, we are already making our plans to return to the Sunspree again next Christmas. Thanks Sunspree for the perfect Holiday stress relief for our family!

Had a nice time

We had a nice room which was clean and stayed that way. We stayed in the terrace section and had a beautiful mountain stream that ran in front of our room. The kids loved the indoor and outdoor pool and arcade. The staff was very pleasant.

Doubts.....

I spent my spring break in early April 2003. I did not experience any of these problems that others spoke about. Overall I thought it was a great hotel, but then again I didn't spend a lot of time in it. For me the point in Gatlinburg was to actually see the city, so I didn't waste my time complaining. However these large reviews are starting to get to me about my stay this year, but I am remaining to my decision.

Awesome stay

My wife and I had a great time at your resort. She is very particular about cleanliness and our room was one of the cleanest we've ever had.
The staff was very friendly and helpful and the food at Louie's was good. Your location is excellent. It is close to all the action of Gatlinburg and yet in a relatively quiet area of town. The pool and game area was great (a little noisy), but had a lot of activities to choose from. We hope we have the opportunity to stay at your hotel again.

Comments