MountainLoft Resort

More about Gatlinburg

No Way Jose's Riverfront BarNo Way Jose's Riverfront Bar

Fierce JawsFierce Jaws

commemorative plaquecommemorative plaque

One of the house towersOne of the house towers

Something Different

by sdhcch

Hello! We love Gatlinburg and travel there as often as we can. However, we are getting bored with all the same old things. We have been to the aquarium, the gold places, Cades Cove, Dollywood, etc. We are wondering if anyone has any tips on some things to do that we haven't thought of. We are staying on Ski Mtn. Road on our next trip, we haven't stayed there before. How are those roads at night? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Something Different

by cardwatcher

Ski Mt Road is twisty but okay. For something different try tubing on the river. There is a company called River Rats. Also we took a day trip to the Biltmore Estate and - long day - but really worth it. There is also an overnight hike to Mt leconte. Very fun. Hope this helps a little.
If you are renting from Chalet Village - there is a nice pool on the mountain where you are staying as well as tennis courts if you play.

Re: Something Different

by Dester

I got married in Gatlinburg once but I would advise against that activity. It was way too expensive and not even any fun, (and non-refundable to boot).

Travel Tips for Gatlinburg

Bear at super 8 downtown gatlinburg

by tracyboy

I love Gatlinburg,Cant wait to go back next year ! You have to watch out for bears, we had one getting into the garbage 2 nights in a row at our hotel on Historic Nature Trail..
This is the pic. I took at the super 8 downtown(convention center)

Be Prepared

by BurrGump

Make sure you have a comfortable back pack or a fanny pack. Be sure that your pack has a holster for water or a drink bottle. You will need it if you plan on hiking in the Smokies. It’s not a bad ides to have a water bottle with you if you are shopping all day on the parkway as well. This year I will be wearing a back pack made by CamelBak that has water reservoir in it with a tube that you bite the end of to drink from. This will come in hand this year. These packs are available in all sorts of styles and sizes. Be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes if you plan on shopping on the Parkway in Gatlinburg as all stores are in walking distance. If you’re planning on hiking in the Smokies then consider investing in some hiking boots. I purchased a very good quality pair for $50. You can spend a lot more if you feel the need, I just like a value when I see one. Pack a rain light-weight raincoat. You never know when it’ll rain In the Smokies.
Last year I was walking on the Parkway when it started pouring rain. I resorted to one of the cheap plastic raincoats you can by at most stores in town. These are not recommended if you’re hiking in the Mountains as you would tear it easily and would get cold quickly. If you do plan on hiking take along quality rain gear. Take a first aid kit. Also bring along or wear insect repellant. Wear sunscreen as well. If you are at higher elevations your are more prone to sunburn than you would imagine. Being the guy who is always looking to save a few bucks, I buy the one time use cameras. You can find these almost everywhere. Some are better than others. Don’t be afraid to drop an extra buck or two for the name brand ones. You can also take these to your local photo developing store and have your pictures made on a picture CD. I had 7 cameras last year. That’s a lot I know but I will enjoy my pictures for every.
I would like to own a nicer digital camera, preferably one with more memory or memory cards. These are nice as you can store photos and remove them if you would like. A tri-pod would come in handy if you plan on stopping a lot. Otherwise I think it would be a lot to carry.

Little Greenbrier School

by melanief

Little Greenbrier School was built in the early 1880's and first classes were held January 1, 1882. Some kids walked as far as 9 miles to attend school.
To get here from Gatlinburg, drive into the Smoky Mountains National Park and turn towards the Sugarlands Visitor Center ** might want to take a rest stop here, not too many "real" toilets after this ** Go past the visitor center and drive maybe 5 miles? and look on the right for the sign for Metcalf Bottoms. Turn in there and follow the signs for the Little Greenbrier School. While you are this close, you can hike up to see the Walker Sisters' cabin; it is a 1.1 mile hike from the school parking lot.

It seems like there is a...

by JuliaL

It seems like there is a pancake house on every corner in Gatlinburg. I'm not a huge fan of pancakes, but my son loves them, so we always eat breakfast at one of the pancake houses while we're there.

If you've never had sausage and biscuits with gravy, this is the place to try them! Some of the best good 'ol down home cookin in the world can be found in Gatlinburg.

Visit the Arts and Crafts Community

by 807Wheaton

This Arts and Crafts Community is in downtown Gatlinburg.
There are several communities scattered throughout the town and the surrounding areas.
There is also an 8 mile loop of crafters on Buckhorn Road, east of Gatlinburg.

Comments