2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

240 River Road, Gatlinburg, Tennessee, 37738, United States

Booking.com Orbitz.com BookIt.com

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

• Beware of this Place Outdated and Poorly Managed!!

I booked a room in this hotel and when I got there they didnot have the room avaible. Then they tried to put us in a standard room with out changing the rate. When we seen the room it was in motel condition. There are many good hotels in Gatlinburg this one is poorly managed and outdated!

Unique Quality: Location is good but there is better places on the stretch

More about River Terrace Resort & Convention Center

Nice room at the end of a busy, fun-filled day.

by TripAdvisor Member smartblnde

The River Terrace Resort was a great place to stay. We own a chalet in town, and it was rented out the weekend we stayed in Gatlinburg for a dance compeition. The room was very clean, the staff was very patient and willing to help, and the cookies in the lobby are worth the price of the room. The microwave and micro fridge were welcome amenities!
The location allowed us to reach our destination without dealing with the entire city's traffic congestion.
The only improvement I could suggest is a moderately priced continental breakfast and/or a healthier selection on the buffet in the restaurant. The food was very good, but went right to the hips.

Had a great time!

We visited 07/18 through 07/22, 2004. While the hotel is older, our room was large and kept very clean. The setting is beautiful and everyone was very friendly. Great pool area and close to everything. Plan on getting a workout climbing hills, etc. - our teenagers loved it! Gatlinburg is a bit touristy, but we're used to Mackinaw Island - it was better than that. Great restaurants everywhere - many chain restaurants, but we recommend eating at local places - Bennet's bar-b-cue was great and so was Brass Lantern. Pancake Pantry had a long line every day, but wasn't too bad if you went more at brunch time - 11 am - too many kinds of pancakes to choose from, but everything we had was great! Make sure to venture out of town and hike in the Smoky Mountains - the views are awesome. Also went to Ober Gatlinburg - tram ride was great - not a lot to do there, but we had fun watching skaters on inside rink. Outlet shopping in Pigeon Forge was so-so - pretty much like outlet shopping anywhere - very crowded - but a nice way to spend a rainy day!

Great Location, Nice, Older Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member capomom

Some of the buildings at River Terrace are directly on the Little Pigeon River, but some are right in the parking lot. We had asked for a river front room but for some reason were given a parking lot room. After telling the reservation desk we preferred to change rooms they gave us a two story suite at the same price. Staff was friendly and helpful. This is an obviously older hotel in need of some updating (especially bathrooms), but the location is wonderful if you want to walk everywhere. The rooms were clean as were the two pools. Some of the other hotels on the same street offer complimentary breakfast, River Terrace does not. I would stay there again but specifically request the two story building directly over the river or a room over the lounge which is also on the river.

Horrible Experience

I can't believe that this hotel is still in business. Must be only because of its good location. I have stayed at this hotel twice, and twice have experienced severe problems. On the first visit, we had reserved a room for four adults but had only been given bath towels and washcloths for two. Complaints to the management about this plus the lack of bath tissue, burned out lightbulbs, and inefficient air conditioning went unanswered until late the following afternoon. The next morning we had the choice of not showering or sharing bath towels. The room was filthy and didn't appear to have been cleaned since the furniture was manufactured -- c. 1949. There was an old pedestal sink with exposed pipes in the bedroom (?) that was covered in rust stains and the carpet was so dirty that none of us would take off our shoes. On the second visit we were given a room directly over the hotel bar, and didn't get but a couple of hours sleep because of the amplified bass from the bar band, and the incredibly loud behavior of the drunks going in and out all night long. The food in the hotel restaurant was terrible on both trips. I have been visiting Gatlinburg for more than 40 years and these are the worst experiences I've ever had while in town. Don't be fooled by the website; choose another place to stay.

Honeymoon

We stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon in 1996. We stayed in a townhouse suite, with a stone fireplace that extends to the upper loft, bedroom area. There were two full bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs. A wonderful balcony over the river. Watching the ducks was wonderful, and it was a very beautiful view at night, since all of the townhouse suites are on the top floor. Since then, we have stayed in a regular room with a hot tub, and a stardard room. I did not find their standard rooms to be as nice or as clean as the townhouse suites. This may be due to the fact that the townhouses cost more and are less used.

Okay Room~Bad view

My Husband and I recently stayed at the River Terrace. I was very excited that we were staying oin walking distance to everything in Gatlinburg. Although, I didn't realize that you had to walk so far to get any where on the property. We were in one of the units on the hill(6000's) and until we walked up and down the hill to swim or to the lounge we were exhausted. We had the worst view on the property. If you decide to stay here ask not to be put one the ground floor in unit 6000's . We had a view of the back of a grey building and couldn't even let our door open to sit outside because anyone could walk past (we even had a dog run into our room ,because we were located right beside the ice machine and he just wondered right in. The maid left the cart right in front of our door 2 mornings in a row, great view to wake up to. I have to say the room looked clean, we were not there very much. We did have a drink at the lounge and sat on the outside deck facing the river, that was very nice.

Great Week!!!!

My family and I stayed here June20-24,2004. I admit I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews and especially since you can only find one or two photos of the place on any website. We had reservations but when we arrived we had picked up a discount brochure at a rest area on the interstate that quoted a greatly reduced price than what we were quoted. Although at check -in the clerk stated that none of these rooms were available he would give us an additional 10% discount on our room. Our room was very large for a standard room. We had plenty of room for the 4 of us. It was very clean with new linens, carpet , etc. We were very close to one swimming pool and up the hill from the other one. Both swimming pools were very clean and every one was very friendly and cooperative. The housekeeper even arranged our children's stuffed animals every day a different way-just the way they do it at Walt Disney! The location of the hotel was excellant-within walking distance to everything. The only complaint I could have is the hill our building was on (Mountain View). We are physically in good shape but someone who has difficultly walking would have trouble unless they requested a building with an elevator or to be on ground level at the bottom of the hill!! We will surely come back to the River Terrace!

Nice Place!

River Terrace was very nice. Check in was very pleasant, staff was friendly..We had a room with a view of the little pigeon river which was very nice . We took pictures from our balcony. the shower had very good water pressure and we would definitely stay there again.. The parking lot was lighted very well and it seems very safe.

Great place, convenient to attractions

I had a great stay. The hotel is clean, although not new, and is convenient to all the Gatlinburg attractions (literally next to the aquarium - a GREAT place to go). I travelled with two dogs (well behaved) - I ok'd their stay with the manager beforehand. Very spacious room with frig and coffee pot, a full clean bathroom, and plenty of clean linens and bed coverings.

My next Gatlinburg visit will be a no brainer... I'll go back to River Terrace.

Thank you!