Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort

See Amenities
LindaS74's Profile Photo

Gatlinburgs Worst Secret!!

by written on July 20, 2012

On July 19, 2012, I called River Terrace in Gatlinburg TN to reserve three nights beginning July 20, 2012. I clearly stated that I did not want a unit on the hill as I am older and was uncomfortable. I stated that I wanted a unit that had been upgraded as I know in the past the place was so badly run down that I had stopped coming here. I had heard through relatives that the place had been partially upgraded. Anyway, when I arrived I was told I had a room at the top of the hill. I told the manager at the front desk about my request to the reservation clerk but he did not care. He was so flip and without concern or care. After much debate, he did come up with a room on a lower level that I could accept, however, he charged me an extra $60.00. I explained that I should not have to pay for their mistake but again, he simply did not care. He stated that I should call the Westgate reservation people back and get it corrected with them. The manager and the staff have the no personality or care about their customers. If Westgate is this way, I obviously will never stay here again. It is within walking distance of attractions and could be the best place here. Regretfully, it is not. I suggest you do not stay here. The rooms are sub-standard and no one cares.

Just Awful

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 23, 2011

While everyone mentions how they lie, overcharge and basically recommend you do NOT buy a timeshare here, I'll discuss our stay there - just awful. Our concierge was nice.

Good. A/C worked well, room was clean, large and comfortable.
Bad. It's the mountains, so everything is an uphill climb - everything! Parking was horrible, always full and tiny spaces. Sliding a dining room chair accross the ceramic tile floor made the people below us complain. Had to fight to get the "free" water park tickets for our children. It was a hilly hike to get to the tiny market - all other outside stores are 5 miles away. The kids were bored within 3 days. All the playgrounds are up the mountain. Construction was going on all the time. Our room's balcony was over top the bussling shuffle of potential buyers being golf carted all over the complex - not the peace and quiet we expected. Everyone's door slams loudly so you know when anyone is coming or going. The only thing to do for adults is pay out the butt for the spa or a rare show, otherwise you have to go offsite. Oh, or hike up the hill to a pool. Gatlinburg was great, busy little town with hundreds of stores, shoppes and restaurants - we spent all day travelling up and down the streets. We rode the sky lift up the mountain - fantastic.

Unique Quality: Nearby Gatlinburg, a great town to shop.

Directions: On lil smoky road, no sign or markings to find the resort without calling for directions.

Do not buy or listen to Time Share Presentation

by written on April 7, 2011

My wife and I along with good friends decided to explore vacation ownership at this property. MISTAKE!!!! Our guide Thomas Torrez was very nice in the beginning and was Mr. Hospitality until after the pitch. We politely said 48,000 for a two bedroom cabin at 17.99% for ten years was at the 802.00 dollar a month payment too steep to take on. After this polite refusal Thomas brought the sales manager Scott over to try the close, and things did get a little tense. I again refused and said I would not pay 17.99% interest in the first place because I would seek outside financing. I had to stand up and say no again!

At this point these two sharks attacked our friends in a feeding frenzy of price reductions and "one day only deals". We all finally got out of there and our parting was met with a "see you, bye"!

The morale of this story is when you sign up they encourage you to lie about personal info to get you qualified for the tour. And lastly when they get you there the promised breakfast was comparable to a trip to a gas station....soda and a cheap danish.

The upside we did get water park passes to a passable water park and a 3 day 2 night vacsation to one of their resorts, which I will review at a later time.

DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE 3 OR SO HOURS OF YOUR LIFE TO WASTE SINCE A 90 MINUTE PRESENTATION IN THE MOUNTAINS TAKES 3X AS LONG!

Niceville's Profile Photo

Gatlinburg TN, Timeshare

by written on April 19, 2010

The Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort was absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!!! The HVAC (Air Conditioner) filter has NOT been cleaned and there were dozens of dust balls the size of peas caught it he HVAC grill. When we turned on the HVAC the dust just flew out and smelled terrible. I notified the front desk and they immediately sent over a technician who removed the cover, got a vacuum and vacuumed out the dust while taking a paint brush to help loosen some of the caked on dust that has accumulated over the years. It was obvious that this grill has never been cleaned. The technician said he would tell the maintenance supervisor about the situation. He never came back to do a thorough job of cleaning the HVAC. The HVAC grill needs to be cleaned with soap and water. The vacuuming of the dust helped but did NOT completely solve the problem. We still had a smell from the HVAC and the room still filled with dust, but not as bad. We ended up leaving a day early because of the smell and filthy condition of the HVAC. We also ate at the onsite restaurant, the Smokehouse Grill. Service was way below standard although our food was OK. The couple at the table next to us complained that their food was icy cold and asked for to-go boxes. They did NOT eat at the Smokehouse Grill and were obviously upset as they walked out with their cold meals in Styrofoam boxes. Before we were served, the cooks put our plates on top of the serving counter ready to be delivered to our table by our waitress. The meals sat there for over 5 minutes while three waitresses were having a chat session tying to solve the problems of the world. When it arrived, the food was ok, not cold or hot. When we finished dinner, we asked for our check. Waitress indicated she would get it for us. Waited 10 minutes and figured our waitress would get the hint if we got up and stood by the cash register. We did and stood there for over 5 more minutes to get the check so we could pay our bill. We came close to just walking out. A few more minutes and we would have just left. In the aggregate the Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort is marginal at best. The grounds are nice, the rooms are like any other noisy vacation rental with guests coming and going all hours of the day and night. Since we were conveniently located on the ground floor, next to the stairwell and overlooking the parking lot, the room was as quiet as one could expect. I’ll never stay there again. I would only recommend staying at the Westgate Smokey Mountain Rresort for anyone whom I really disliked.

Unique Quality: Good access to the Smokey Mountain National Park.

Do NOT Buy A Timeshare from Westgate!

by written on November 14, 2009

This resort actually looks very nice and has some average amenities. So I might be willing to recommend staying there. However, please please don't ever buy a timeshare from this company! The customer service is terrible, starting with the Web site. You will call their phone number and they'll tell you that all the answers to your questions can be found on at the Web site. Not true! Lots of generalizations but no mention of the fees, fees, fees. There's the yearly fee, the name change fee, the transfer fee, the booking fee, ad infinitum. You also can't perform any actions on the Web site, like changing a week, or transferring to another resort. Then when you call customer service back and insist on talking to a human being, you can be put on hold for 10-20 minutes at a time. Also note that they don't volunteer information. For example, "Can I transfer my week to another Westgate resort?" Answer: "Yes" instead of Answer: "Yes you can and it will cost you a booking fee of $150 to change a week plus $200 to change a location plus a membership fee of $495 per year plus you must call us X weeks beforehand plus there must be availability, etc etc." Its like pulling teeth to get information, and then once you get the whole picture you think, "Man, this is hard!"

Specific note: I bought the timeshare from my brother and therefore needed a name change. After 3 phone calls [no joke] I was finally told that I needed to fax them particular information with signatures. I did so. This was in January. I called in February, March and April and was told to "wait, they're working on it". Today [November] I called again. First I was told that it would be $150 to make the change. In a year of calling this was the first mention of ANOTHER fee. Then I was told that I needed to call another number, the "Name Change Dept." This number went to voicemail and I have never received a follow up call from them. Almost a year to change the name on a deed?! You've got to be kidding me! The customer service representative I was on the phone with told me that there are people who have waited *5* years to get a name changed. Can you believe it!

I'm going to the press and the Better Business Bureau next, and anyone else who will listen. These people have to be stopped, these kinds of practices are certainly unethical and must border on the illegal.

anujackie's Profile Photo
anujackie Mar 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Worse resort ever... Rude people and no house keeping ... Checkout is at 10am.. At 10:15 they had police at our door... My kods could not underestand why... Never encountered nothing sooo horrible.. The manager named, Belinda was rude and ruthless... Everuthing in gatlonburg was great except this trashy soo claaed resort.. Save your money and book a.login... You will get nicer place with more space and no ride people with all.they cate for money.... And if.you still want.to book this nasty.place make.sure.to take your own vaccum and all the cleaning products.. Because you will be house keeping.. Walls.are.pencil thin.. So do not make a noice.. And be out by 10 or else you will have police at your door... Cheap everything and buy your own toilet paper... Horrible place...

Nearby Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Gatlinburg Travel Forum

Need advice about Gatlinburg, Tennessee? Visit the Travel Forum for Gatlinburg and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Gatlinburg hotel reviews

Explore Deeper into Gatlinburg
BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!! DON't Leave Electronics in CABIN
Log Cabin Pancake House
Restaurants
Unpleasant experience south of the border!
Restaurants
Hike to Laurel Falls (GSMNP)
Things to Do
Hike the Abrams Falls trail (GSMNP)
Adventure Golf
Ripley Aquarium of the Smokies
Ripley's Believe It or Not! Museum
Climb to Clingman's Dome
Mmm Mmm Good Prime Rib
Hard Rock Cafe
Nightlife
Golfing on a smaller scale
Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies
Ripley's Moving Theater
Ripleys Believe it or Not
Cades Cove
AVOID THE HARD ROCK CAFE
Forbidden Caverns
Things to Do
Don't waste your time in this filthy place!
Restaurants
Beware of cabins of Gatlinburg water shut off
Warnings and Dangers
Watch out for this one!!
BEWARE-Cabinsofgatlinburg.com