Best Western Galleria Inn And Suites

More about Memphis

Synagogue of MemphisSynagogue of Memphis

Elvis grave ,Elvis museum , Memphis, TnElvis grave ,Elvis museum , Memphis, Tn

B.B. King All StarsB.B. King All Stars

chicken fingers, fries and orange wedgeschicken fingers, fries and orange wedges

Romanian Language Lessons needed

by daileyjoy

There is a good possibility that in April my family and I will be moving to Brasov, Romania for an extended period of time. I have not been able to find any classes for us and wanted to try it that way before I went to books and tapes to learn from. I was hoping that someone here would know of a place that has classes or of someone who would consider it. Thanks

Jennifer

RE: Romanian Language Lessons needed

by YVRDave

Try here http://memphis.citysearch.com/profile/36132140/memphis_tn/berlitz_language_center.html

RE: Romanian Language Lessons needed

by shekky

hmmm....what's up in Romania ?...just curious...heckuva change!

RE: RE: Romanian Language Lessons needed

by daileyjoy

My husband was offered a great job there, couldn't pass it up.
Jennifer

RE: RE: Romanian Language Lessons needed

by gdawgii

You are not likely to find any Romanian-language classes here in Memphis. Fear not, however, I have traveled to Romania several times on business and as a tourist and I've never felt like I needed a class.

I have used the Pimsleur CDs (available on Amazon) with some success. They will teach you only basic Romanian. For deeper study you probably can wait until you get there. Many Romanians speak English and there are lots of English-speaking Europeans who work there. There should be opportunities there for you to learn. BEWARE! Romanian is a DIFFICULT language to learn. It helps if you already know a romance language (like French, Spanish or Italian) but Romanian is more like its Latin roots than those languages.

Brasov is a wonderful place. It can get very cold in the winter and snow is frequent (the good news is that Poiana Brasov, a ski resort, is right around the corner!). The people are just fantastic and it's a pretty modern and vibrant city. If you want more of a big-city feel, Bucuresti is a reasonable drive to the south (but the traffic, I should warn you, is horrendous).

Good Luck!

Travel Tips for Memphis

the cellar man gets his beer

by richiecdisc

What was I looking for? Beale Street couldn't hold much after gallivanting on Bourbon Street for a couple days. In my younger days, maybe I'd have gone to the clubs to check out some blues but now I'd be content to just wander the streets that old blues and rock heroes walked in their heyday. Ribs were certainly on the game plan. You can't go to Memphis and not eat BBQ. Of course with me, there was a brewery in the offing too. Bosco's was noted as one of the few places in the deep south that served cask ale and as a bonus were brewing one of the last versions of an old German bygone style, Steinbier too. But would I really be that crazy to deviate by a few hundred miles just for some culinary delights? My wife would say yes, but there had to be another draw and though not a huge fan of Elvis, there is little denial in most people's desire to see Graceland. And so, Paul Simon's tune just HAD to be played as we ultimately pulled into town some five hours after leaving the Big Easy.

Despite our days of overeating in New Orleans, we were famished on arrival and headed to Corky's, a BBQ place I'd read about on the Internet. I had had a hard time finding any definitive information on such matters. It was a bit disconcerting if convenient when we saw they had a drive-through but ordered up a couple pulled pork sandwiches with sweet tea.. After gobbling them down greedily we secured a room and made our way to Bosco's just in time for Happy Hour. The bonus is that the brewpub has a cellar man contest each weekday at 5:30 so we were given two chances to win along with our Steinbiers and waited for the drawing. Thanks to some very inquisitive locals the time passed quickly. They were quite intrigued with our traveling around the US and once they found out Doreen was from Germany and liked their beer we were the toast of the pub. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Im so tired of being alone....

by Sarah169

This was definately the icing on the cake!! We'd heard a rumour that Al green was reverend at a church on the outskirts of Memphis, so we set off in search, with great sucess!!

Although we didn't get to see a sermon, we did get to the church!

Its on Hale Road, but i couldn't tell you how we got there without a map!

Beale Street

by jonuga about Beale Street

This is the most important street in Memphis. It could be compared, although in a lower scale, to Bourbon St in New Orleans. There are lots of places that close very late at night and you can walk around with a beer in your hand while listening to live blues or some Elvis imitator.

Best Ribs!

by Abranch420 about Blues City Cafe

This place is always crowded on the weekends, service is never great, but some of the food is amazing. The ribs are very tender, the meat falls off of the bones. The sauce is sweet and has a great flavor. I would avoid the "World Famous Steaks" as I found them to be without seasoning. Stick with the ribs!

Automatic Slims' - Funky, Fun

by anderschwan about Automatic Slims Tonga Club

It is described as "Where Memphis meets Manhattan". The cuisine is mostly Southwest & Caribbean. The bar is fantastic. Lunch Mon-Fri 11am-2:30 pm. Dinner Mon-Sat 5pm until. Closed Sundays. 83 S. Second St., 525-7948

Comments