Best Western Travelers Inn

5024 Highway 78, Memphis, Tennessee, 38118, United States
Travelers Inn and Suites Memphis
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Memphis

The Peabody marching ducks, Peabody hotel, MemphiThe Peabody marching ducks, Peabody hotel, Memphi

Beal street, Memphis, TNBeal street, Memphis, TN

Beale StreetBeale Street

This drink should come with a Haz/Mat labelThis drink should come with a Haz/Mat label

Planning first visit to Memphis

by JennyAnn

We will be in Memphis in May. Staying at the Heartbreak Hotel. Is the hotel shuttle OK for visiting downtown (including Mud Island). Can you get taxi's easily?

Has anyone been on the Memphis Queen dinner cruise? We are thinking of doing that and would like opinions on it.

RE: Planning first visit to Memphis

by shekky

Heartbreak Hotel is a dump. Taxi easily?? heck no..you can't hail a cab in Memphis, you have to call ahead ! imagine that huh, pretty primitive I know, Memphis Queen for dinner??? that's awful stuff served on that boat, we felt like the thing was goin to capsize

RE: RE: Planning first visit to Memphis

by JennyAnn

Shall I not bother coming then?????

RE: RE: Planning first visit to Memphis

by shekky

coming or not is your call---if you find something worth experiencing athen by all means do so--that's a subjective call--my call is that the Elvis crap is for Elvis followers or fanatics, I think his house, etc. is very very tacky and the whole thing is over-rated- given the choice in the region I probably would say that Nashville is a better trip, or maybe the St. Louis Zoo- again it's YOUR time and your money, most people notwithstanding a bunch of Elvis fanatics and European travelers (with a fascinaton with his life/music, etc) have found the whole experience leaves them mildly cold !

Travel Tips for Memphis

Ardent Studios

by anderschwan

I used to live in a rickety old apartment across from Ardent Studios. Even though you can't tour through it, it still is a pretty cool thing to know about if you're a music fan in memphis. One of the premier recording studios in the world, you know it is first rate. Sometimes I would see people going in and out of the studios and wondering if they were recording. Check out the website to see who's recording. Usually they will play local gigs while they're there. I wish I had seen Jeff Buckley but I was out of town. Sadly, it was while he was recording that he tragically drowned in the Mississippi.

Reelfoot Lake !!!

by eddieboy726

Reelfoot Lake is about 100 miles north of Memphis, in Tiptonville Tenn. When we were there it was raining-cold & snowing. It's suppose to be a pretty good fishing lake. Unfortunately we were at the right lake, but at the wrong time.

Beale Street is the place to...

by KristinaLMF

Beale Street is the place to be. It is very similar to Bourbon Street in New Orleans. There are tons of bars and night clubs. Even if you are not a big Jazz fan I recommend BB King's Bar. He is a regular there and still plays the blues.

The Best Barbeque

by emilienoelle about Charles Vergos' Rendezvous

This is the real thing. Established in 1948, the Rendezvous is known for the best ribs in Memphis. It is located in a huge, old basement in an alley downtown, the kind of place that you would never know was there unless you knew already, or unless someone pointed it out. We were there on a Friday night and the place was packed to the rafters. Saturdays are even worse, so go as early as you can. By the time we left a crowd of hungry people were sitting on the ground in the alley waiting to get in. I sympathized with them. The smell of the hickory smoke out there is enough to drive someone crazy! The ribs are the best, better than any I've ever had in my life, but just about anything would taste good covered in their barbecue sauce. Bottles of the sauce are left out on the tables for you to add as much as you want, or even drink if you like. They have two varieties, mild and spicy. Both are amazing, but the spicy is really something special. Everything you order comes with coleslaw, which is also great. I could have eaten a bowl of it by itself.
Know what you want to order when the waiter comes. They don't like to have to come back and if you make them they will wait on everyone else first and make YOU wait fot them. Whatever you order, get a pitcher of beer to go with it. It's the best accompaniment to BBQ. Everything they have is available for mail order on their website. Closed Sundays.

not bad in a pinch

by richiecdisc about Corky's

Corky's is a big chain in the south and I found it by searching for BBQ places in Memphis. They have a strong presence on the Internet and should be commended for good marketing. It looked like an okay enough place from the outside but we were happy to see a drive through so we could give it a try and not commit too much of our daily food allowance to it. We figured there had to be better BBQ in Memphis than this. It was just lunch so we both tried the pulled pork sandwich. It was tasty enough but to be honest we were both starving. The sauce was a tad on the sweet side and there was far too much of it, making for an overly wet experience where the pork was overwhelmed rather than enhanced. Two sandwiches with a sweet tea set us back $11 so certainly reasonably priced and good in a pinch. We'd find out from locals later that it was not by any means indicative of good Memphis BBQ.

Comments