3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

300 North 2nd Street, (former Wyndham Garden Hotel), Memphis, Tennessee, 38105, United States
CrownePlaza.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Crowne Plaza Hotel Memphis

In July 2008 -- a mixed bag of renovation and service

by TripAdvisor Member IndiTravler

This hotel has potential, but I can’t recommend it in July 2008 - unless you get a really good deal.

Clearly, there have been significant improvements since this hotel was converted from the Wyndham Gardens (based on previous TripAdvisor reviews) – but it isn’t finished. Plus there are housekeeping issues.

I’d like to start with the positives. The lobby, restaurant, and rooms are looking good. The room had a great new bed, lots of great pillows, lovely furniture with granite tops and a flat panel TV. Our room resembled the photos from PedroANDSexy’s room. However, we had an unrepaired chip on our on tub, old electrical outlet, and the exhaust vent in the bathroom looked like it had 10 coats of paint on it. After obviously spending significant dollars on renovations – I don’t understand leaving the small stuff which distracts from the overall impression.

The there were the major mechanical issues that haven’t been addressed. I felt there were three, 1) the elevators, 2) the lack of AC in the halls, and 3) lack of proper exhausting from the bathrooms. We rode the service elevator more that the “regular” elevator as often it was the only one working. We were told the elevators were being replaced – something that should have happened when the hotel was closed. The lack of AC in the halls made the hotel seem stuffy. The lack of proper bathroom exhaust was most annoying as odors and steam often lingered MUCH longer than I felt they should.

Then there were housekeeping issues. We never got shampoo or conditioner – we were told the hotel was out. How can a major hotel be out of shampoo and conditioner?!?!?! We also never received additional lotion or body wash. Then there was the day the trash wasn’t emptied, and the day we didn’t get towels, and the day we ran out of toilet paper. SIGH!!!

Every staff member we talked to was pleasant and attempted to be helpful – but they couldn’t fix our problems.

A Continental breakfast was included in our package. We found it to be quite nice.

Finally, I too was annoyed by the parking charge when most of the lot was empty every night – seemed like it was a “junk charge” like a resort fee to make the room rate artificially low.

Given the location and the brand reputation, I’d give the hotel another chance in a couple of months after they finish the elevator renovations and work out the opening kinks.

Should not be a 3 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member twinmom97

We booked through Hotwire, and were actually quite excited when we saw where we would be staying. I was traveling with my sister in law and my 11 year old daughters.
I was initially impressed. The lobby looked wonderful, the rooms looked nice, even the $10 a day for parking didn't upset me.
Our opinion soon changed however.
It starts with one elevator being down, and the other not working correctly half the time. The stairs were an option, however not in a real convenient location. The hallways were HOT, not a liitle warm, we were sweating by the time we got from our room to the elevator.
When we got to the room, the toilet is scratched up--as someone else said, why spend all this money and scimp on the little stuff. The toliet also didn't flush right--we had to figure out the trick to it. Now, so far, none of this is that bad. If this was all we encountered, that would have been fine, and I would not be writing this review. We had a view of the pool. My daughters noticed some kids (12-15 years old) swimming in their underwear-some of which was a bit see through.
I always look under the beds to see if they are on a platform. While doing this, I found a beer bottle. Thought it was funny at first--ha-ha, must not have fully cleaned the room right. The bottle was shaped like a bowling pin, Which I had never seen before, so I was looking at it closer. Well, the mouth of the bottle had hair on it, and I don't mean off of someone's head. Searched more and found a walkie talkie. Called the Manager, telling him that I was a bit shocked to find this at such a nice hotel. He apologized, and said he would get us refunded for the first night, which hasn't happened yet. We also showed him the kids in the pool and he truly seemed shocked. We watched him go down and chase the kids out. Turns out, they weren't even guests of the hotel, they hopped the fence. We seen this happen a few times during our 3 day stay.
Towels, if you will need extra ones, you are better off bringing your own. We called down at 6pm for towels. Called again at 6:50-explaining that we were waiting to take showers. Called again at 7:20--ended up sharing towels as we needed to get going. 7:35 towels show up--with a snotty remark from the person dropping them off.
The next day, they didn't leave any more towels--just the 3 they brought up the night before. There are 4 of us in the room, and 3 have long hair. Most hotels would have left the same number that was in the room. At 6:30pm we went to the front desk to get towels--said they would send them up, they are running short on them. 7:20 we called again, explaining that we had to share towels the night before. We are told they are on their way. 8:30 called down again, explained that we again had to share, we are leaving for the evening, please have the towels at the desk for us to pick up when we get in. We returned at 11:50--asked for towels, they had none to give out, housekeeping was gone for the night, she would leave a note. We were woke up at 6:30 am with someone knocking on our door with the towels.
Our coffee pot was also not cleaned out the second day. And we planted things in spots to see how well they cleaned. The first day they got everything, the second day they didn't. And one of the things was obvious.
The pool area was not clean, my Sister in Law and Daughters picked up the area when they went down to swim.
We were always more than polite when dealing with the staff. I don't believe in being rude to anyone. We even started out joking about everything. The manager we dealt with the first night was great.
I will not recommend this hotel to anyone. I really don't feel they deserve a 3 1/2 star rating. I wouldn't pay over $60 for the room. Even the Days Inn in the area had a fridge and microwave--we didn't have either.
This is only one of two hotels in my 41 years that I would advise people to stay away from.

A fair three star but location not great

by TripAdvisor Member FionaMcC

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a weekend and it is a real mixture of god and bad.

Good Points
* Great rooms - clean and spacious
* Friendly reception staff
* Car parking ( you have to pay but there is lots and you can ee your car
* Small but well stocked gym

Bad points
* Rude restaurant staff and very slow service
* two lifts for large hotel and one not working during my stay. There is lots of waiting around - even 2 is not enough.
* Location - nice walk / tram ride during the day but get a cab in the evening as not the safest area.
* took 2 days to get a hairdryer ..despite 8 phone calls !

This is fine for a cheap weekend break and you can get good bargains but eat in the Beale Street area where the food is much better and the service is good too.

Not worth the money....

by TripAdvisor Member cin0118

We needed a Memphis hotel for one night before catching a flight out. I'd read reviews of hotels close to the airport and wasn't impressed. I decided to take my chances on Hotwire, with a hotel downtown. We paid $99 for the Crowne Plaza, which was listed as a 3.5 star. I knew immediately that we were going to have problems after calling the hotel to ask for a crib to be reserved. Story later....

Although the hotel had recently gone through a renovation - my husband described it as "putting lipstick on a pig". The staff was completely unknowledgeable and incapable - the elevator and hallways unairconditioned in over 100 degree heat - it was sweltering and it all smelled. I can't believe we paid $99 for such a subrate hotel and I really couldn't imagine paying full price! We stayed at a Comfort Inn in Arkansas the night before and it looked like a 5 star in comparison. Very Very Disappointed. Makes me not trust HotWire for future bookings.

After we had begun unpacking, the front desk called to say they forgot that the room we were in didn't have a working air conditioner. Although it was good they called us (we were starting to get concerned it wasn't cooling down), it seems ridiculous that they would have put us there when they knew beforehand. They said they would move us to another room within 6 minutes. I waited in the room with my toddler in the sweltering heat - over 100 degrees that day - for about 30 minutes before going down to the front desk to find out why we didn't have a room yet. The man said the housekeeper hadn't got back to him. I begged for a room, any room, any floor. He said he was trying to keep us on the same floor, I told him I didn't care where he put me as long as it had airconditioning and it was soon. We were moved to a room with AC on the 8th floor.

The staff couldn't accomplish any basic tasks. In addition, there was only one person at the front desk, and all the phone calls went through them, so they were constantly on the phone while trying to deal with them. The morning we were leaving, we realized we didn't preprint directions to the airport. I asked them for a map, but they couldn't give me directions to the airport - although the girl spent approx. 15 minutes working on it (it's only about 5 miles from the hotel - I can't believe it's an unusual request). I asked if they had a simple map to the airport (most hotels near one do) She said yes, but it wasn't simple. After she continued to look up directions, I asked for a printed map. She said "they" lost the map and it was really messin' her up. She wasn't good at directions. I asked for any map - she pulled out an advertisement and marked a location that wasn't the airport and said she was going to try to mapquest it. She told me I needed to get on the Freeway - when I asked which one, she said the one by the hotel (there's more than one) but she didn't know the name of it. I left before the mapquest (at this point we were running late) and I didn't trust her info - thank goodness. Should've walked out prior to that.

I called the Hotel as soon as I received the info from Hotwire, and requested a crib to be added to the reservation. The woman I spoke with was dumbfounded and asked if I was coming that day. I told her no, my reservation was in a couple weeks. The woman told me she couldn't hold a crib for me for that long. I explained that I wasn't expecting her to hold it, just add the note to my reservation so we'd be sure to have one when we arrived. She was again very confused. I told her most hotels did this. She said she would....of course there was no note when I arrived. After we got there, the man at the desk said he'd get a crib sent to the room. They put a message on the phone for the room that we needed a crib - after receiving one, I asked them to take it off so the red light would stop blinking. Although I called 4 times to get them to take it off, it continued to blink all night.

Although it had some modern looking furnishings, there was no air conditioning in the hallways or the elevator. There was only one working elevator for the whole hotel. Hallway ceiling were very low and dark. We were only there overnight, so we didn’t check out any other “amenities” to rate.

One positive - the bed was comfortable....

Don't waste your money, I'm sure there are much better hotels in Memphis that will gladly take your money and provide better service and amenities.

God help the fool that checks in to Crowne Plaza Hotel Memphis

by TripAdvisor Member firstmagnitude

We checked in for two nights which the manager at the front desk read, but I found out the next day that we were there for only one. Thank God I checked that next morning! Who knows were are luggage would have been that afternoon. One elevator was broken so the only other one was tied-up. Your only other choice was the service elevator. We asked for a king size bed and got doubles instead. The food in the restaurant was sub-par. The floor had pins and a cellaphane rapper from a cigarette pack. The bed spread had two stains.

People - this is a horrible hotel! It shouldn't even be open. There is a Marriott across the street - go to it. If you want to go to Beale street, it is a good mile away. Memphis looks rundown, I am sad to say, I was born in this town 56 years ago. But getting back to this hotel, it is horrible!!! PS The photos of the hotel look nice on the web, but when you drive up to the building, everything else looks run down including the crowne plaza as you look at it close-up.

Some Negatives .... Some Positives

by TripAdvisor Member DABCMB

We booked this hotel on Priceline for $82 per night. This is way below the normal price for any downtown Memphis hotel. There were two negatives to our stay and two positives.

The first negative was the customer service. It took us over 30 minutes to check in because the desk clerks were very slow. The lobby was not air conditioned so while we stood in line we were drenched in sweat. The desk clerks seemed to be annoyed by any request. We asked for a cab at one point during our stay and they told us to just take the Main Street Trolley. I told her that the Trolley was very hot and crowded so we would rather take a cab and she said she would try but couldn't guarantee a cab within 20 minutes. This hotel is the farthest downtown hotel from Beale St. so I thought they would get requests for cabs quite often. The desk clerks were also quite confused when it came to driving directions.

The second negative was the elevator situation. They only have two elevators and one was completely out of order. Then the second elevator went down. They do not have stairs, only emergency fire stairs that sound alarms when you use them. We were stuck using the service elevator which was always filled with maintenance workers and work carts. Eventually they did get one of the elevators working but the waits were long and frustrating. We were only on the second floor so stairs would have been ideal and would have saved us a lot of waiting around.

The first positive was the room. The room was big and clean. The bed was a true king and very comfortable with lots of pillows. There was a chair with ottoman and a full desk. There was a 32" flat screen TV. The bathroom looked very new even if it wasn't the biggest but also not the smallest I have seen in a hotel. We mistakenly left the 'do not disturb' sign on the door during the afternoon but the maid service brought us fresh towels and emptied our trash when we requested. Luckily we had a south facing room with a nice view of the pool area and the rest of downtown Memphis. The north facing rooms only have views of the Interstate.

The second positive was the parking. It might sound minor but I love hotels that offer secure parking. I have a brand new car and when I am in a downtown setting it eases my mind when the parking is monitored by a security force. We parked in the underground garage but it still gave us easy access to the hotel elevators. They also have above ground parking. The $10 fee per day was annoying but a small price to pay for added security and all of the urban hotels now charge for parking.

I probably would stay again but only at a reduced price through Priceline. If I had to pay full price I would stay somewhere else in Memphis closer to Beale St. and Peabody Place.

Not the best place to stay...

by TripAdvisor Member Terriv

I always thought that Crowne Plaza's were a step above Holiday Inn's, but this place is on par with a run down Days Inn. Too bad. I felt unsafe, dirty (the place is filthy), tired, itchy, unwelcome, couldn't wait to go home!!!!!

Service stinks. The management here must be really bad because they were always understaffed, nothing is standard from the in-room amenities to the food service, check in took a long time, the halls and elevator were toasty on a hot day, the AC unit in the room kept me awake all night (and I stayed here two different times in two different rooms). The bathroom had a lighted magnifying mirror, nice touch, but it looked as if someone flossed their teeth into the mirror as it hadn't been cleaned in a while. Both rooms had an unidentifiable stench, a friend was approached by a hooker in the elevator, another found a dead rodent in the room (decaying, dead) and cheap beer (Bud Light) was $5.50/bottle in the very tiny bar area. The place isn't very safe and I would urge anyone to move their plans to stay at the Marriott across the street and pay a few bucks more.

by TripAdvisor Member us24eva

As we arrived only one lift was working for the 6 days we were there. The toilet had [--] splattered around the bowl and toilet seat. Pubic hair in the bath, . On complaint we were then transfered to another room .Still didnt feel right after 30 years of marriage this was such a big celebration for us to come all this way and to be put into such a low grade place.

The cutlery was either dirty or bent! In the end if it hadnt been for a lovely young man who served us and kept us laughing we would have gone home earlier Oh also no laundry we had to get a cab to the laundramat in a dodgy area to do this. what a night mare.! Also ther is no saftey deposit boxes in the office or rooms at all. So please think before you book.

Avoid this Hotel if you can

by TripAdvisor Member Hongkongfirsttimer

3rd October 08
Edinburgh
Scotland

We have been visiting the USA for the last five years, and this is by far the worst hotel we have stayed in.

There was only one lift working at any time during our 6 night stay. The room was spacious enough but there was dried blood on the air conditioning unit which my husband cleaned up. (I wanted to contact the front desk to complain). The toilet cistern broke the first night and the smoke alarm went off twice during the night, although they did fix it next day.

We had breakfast there twice. The first morning we were shown to a table with no cutlery, milk, napkins (an empty table in fact). When we asked the waitress to provide them it took about ten minutes for her to come back. By this point we had taken most of the items we needed from other tables. The food was cold and when we complained, the waitress told us the food on the top gets cold quick and she had had a cold sausage for breakfast too. We were still charged for it though. Breakfast the next day wasn't much better. We ate elsewhere for the rest of our stay.

The bar staff were friendly but never behind the bar when we went in for a drink. We sometimes waited around 10 minutes before anyone appeared. And it was expensive.

Most, but not all, of the front desk staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. One did not even know if there was a public phone in the hotel.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced friendly hotel, try the Comfort Inn Downtown. After a week in Nashville, we had to come back to Memphis for two nights before catching our flight back home to Scotland. The staff were lovely and breakfast was good and included in the price.

Not as bad as others say

by TripAdvisor Member marysharry

I booked our room on Hotwire and after I found out where we were staying, I came here to see the reviews. As you can see, there are some TERRIBLE experiences, so I was quite worried. However, we had a perfectly fine experience at the Crowne Plaza. Despite some renovations, the 1 elevator was relatively speedy, and the exit stairs were useable. (I guess they disabled the door alarm.) My room was clean and renovated with flat screen TV and very comfy beds. The hotel is older, so the bathrooms are small-ish. But overall, it was totally adequate.

I was familiar with the city, so I knew what to expect in terms of getting around. This hotel is NOT walking distance from Beale St. if you are going at night. During the day, I would feel safe walking from the hotel to the center of downtown, but not after dark. There were cabs at the hotel and across the street at the Marriott, however.

I would ask for a room facing south, as the opposite side is directly next to an interstate. Overall, this is a place I would stay if I were not spending lots of time at the hotel. The room is a nice place to sleep and get ready, but the lobby is not very plush or relaxing. It worked well for my purposes, though.

Graceland car, Elvis museum, Memphis, TNGraceland car, Elvis museum, Memphis, TN

GoatsGoats

his very own car museumhis very own car museum

DucksDucks

MLK March

by inranger

A little help here if you please. Some time ago I ran across a notice that there will be a Martin Luther King remberance march in Memphis I think on the anniversary of his death. I have been unable to find the info again. I would love to participate in honoring the most influential man from my childhood. Anyone know when this march is?.....and where it will be?

RE: MLK March

by susiemargare

hi --

on the chance that you might want to commemmorate MLK's birthday next year, his birthday is january 20, i am pretty sure. you might search during the first two weeks of january for a memphis newspaper on "google.com"; i am sure there would be information there.

-- susie margaret