3685 American Way, Memphis, Tennessee, 38118, United States
Expedia.com Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Memphis

Graceland car, Elvis museum, Memphis, TNGraceland car, Elvis museum, Memphis, TN

South MemphisSouth Memphis

enjoying a brew at Bosco'senjoying a brew at Bosco's

DucksDucks

Great trip to Memphis

by seddy

Just like to say we had a great time on our trip to Memphis. The Heartbreak Hotel was fabulous and all the Elvis attractions were better than I could have imagines. The people we met were really friendly. My only complain is that I didn't have long enough there. I can't wait to go back.
If anyoine as any questions regarding the Elvis & Southern sounds tour I'll be only too pleased to help.

by mels1962

Hello

I'm plannign a trip to Tennesse (from the UK) next year and was wondering how many days to spend in Memphis - and where to go - before heading out to the East. All suggestion very welcome

RE: RE: Great trip to Memphis

by seddy

Hi. It depends on whethr you are an Elvis fan or not. I'm a big fan, we spent 3 nights in the Heartbreak Hotel and I don't think this was long enough. You need to visit Gracelands even if you aren't a fan. This is a full day. You also need to visit Beale Street both in the daytime and at night. There are lots of other attractions, Sun Studios being one of them. It all depends on what youy like and how long you can afford to spend thre time wise. Memphis is a great place and I can't wait to go back. If you have anymore questions I'll be happy to help you out.

Susan

by susielou

Hi there...i am just at the very beginning of planning a trip to Memphis for 4 of us...it has been fun looking things up on the net...my husband and i live in perth western australia and my mum and hubby live in london and we are hopping to go over there and take the trip with them...it is just that i dont know what the weather is like over there in Memphis and what would be the best month to go...also the best tour ..so its nice to find someone who has done it and is singing their praises...thanks ~Sue~

by imlikeabird

Hi, I just got back from Memphis. One day was nice, I didn't even wear a coat. The next day it was very cold. That was the day we went to Graceland, and we stood in line outside forever. Also went to Beale St., which was very entertaining. I'm not sure I'd go there at night with children, not sure if that was in your plans. There are several musuems that I would have liked to go to. My brother and his wife went to Mud Island and liked it very much. Unfortunately, we were only there two days. Saw a great live band on Beale one night. We stayed at the Peabody and it was perhaps the nicest hotel I've stayed in. It should be; it cost a fortune. I don't recommend it if you want to travel on a budget. High tea at the Peabody is a wonderful experience, but you will need to make reservations at least one day prior to taking tea.

Travel Tips for Memphis

If you like museums, you will...

by ccitrone

If you like museums, you will love Memphis. Visit the Children's Museum (if you're bringing the little ones), Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Hunt-Phelan Home, National Ornamental Metal Museum, National Civil Rights museum and Brooks Museum of Art. Sun Studios (where Elvis recorded) is also a great place to visit. Good lunch here.

Check out the National...

by salway

Check out the National Ornamental Metal Museum just off I55 on the east side of the River. It's located on the grounds of the former US Marine Hospital. The grounds are beautiful. There was a class going on in the smithshop when we were there and we were able to go in, watch the work and ask questions. It was pretty neat.

Driving in MAMMFISS

by shekky

Rule #11-- Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and apparently not enforceable in the metro area during rush hour.
Rule #12-- Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Memphis driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.
Rule #13-- Please remember that there is no such thing as a shortcut during rush hour traffic in Memphis.
Rule #14-- Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even a person changing a tire and reflect on why you're glad you're not them.
Rule #15-- Throwing liter on the roads adds variety to the landscape, keeps the existing litter from getting lonely, and gives Adopt-a-Mile highway crews something to clean up.
Rule #16-- Everybody thinks their vehicle is better than yours (especially pickup truck drivers with stickers of Calvin on a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy logo).
Rule #17-- Learn to swerve abruptly. Memphis is the home of high-speed slalom driving thanks to MLGW, which puts manholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.
Rule #18-- It is traditional in Memphis to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light changes. This is a drag race isn't it?
Rule #19-- When the light turns green, put the pedal to the metal; gas is cheap in Memphis, and this is a drag race isn't it?
Rule #20-- Seeking eye contact with another driver revokes your right of way.
Rules #21-- Never take a green light at face value. Always look right and left before proceeding. (See Rule #5)
Rule #22-- A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same jerks to squeeze their way back in before hitting construction barrels.
Rule #23-- YOU MIGHT AS WELL STAY AT HOME IF IT'S SNOWING!

Marie and Mable's Restaurant

by SCondrey about Marie and Mable's Restaurant

A real slice of Soul Food. The lunch hour is busy. They are only open Wednesday through Saturday 11:30 am - 7:00pm. I would suggest having lunch here and not venture into the neighborhood at night. Cash Only, No credit cards accepted, take small bills. They consistently score very high on their health inspections.

Update 4/25/2005: They will be closing their doors soon. Both ladies are ready to retire. Get it hot while you can.

Update 01/23/2006: So sorry folks. Thay have closed their doors. I am in search of a new Soul Food restaurant. When I find one I will post its location. Down home good cookin. The baked chicken, sweet potatoes, northern beans, corn, rolls, cornbread, pinto beans, it's all good. You have to call to see what they have cooked for that day since the menu changes daily.

Rendevouz shouldnt be missed,...

by KW38104

Rendevouz shouldnt be missed, it's become a bit touristy, and a bit over rated but the ribs are very good, and the atmosphere is great. It's a Memphis Landmark. For even better Barbeque without the tourist trade, try the Barbeque Shop. It's a hole in the wall on Madison Avenue a few miles away in Midtown. Folksy atmosphere, friendly help and awesome Barbeque platters. I'm a local, and this is my favorite place to go for Barbeque.

Comments