Doubletree Hotel Memphis Downtown

185 Union Avenue, (formerly Radisson Hotel Memphis), Memphis, Tennessee, 38103, United States

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Not worth the price!

We arrived and were told we had to move our car or pay $20 for valet parking. I must have overlooked this when booking because this was a complete shock to me. Needless to say, it swayed my entire stay there - off to a bad start. We only stayed one night on our way back from New Orleans and should have just booked it all the way home rather than stop over in Memphis. Live and learn. The hotel was ok - on the surface everything looks nice but with a bit of a closer inspection you can see that things are covered over and cheaply made. There was no mini fridge... which was really inconvenient. They gave us 3 sets of towels when we booked a room for 4. The location was ok but felt unsafe. We actually parked across the street in a lot for $5 though there wasn't any security overnight. Our car was fine but it made us nervous so maybe we should have paid the $20 to feel better. Oh and what's this about chocolate chip cookies? We didn't receive any and now I'm even angrier! Just don't go!

Directions: 3 blocks from Beale St

• PROBLEMS IN MEMPHIS

Just got back from a 3 week trip to Atlanta,Nashville and Memphis. Stayed at the Nashville Double tree and everything was really nice. Great service, nice rooms, close to everything. THEN we went to the Double tree in Memphis ! We arrived at 2:30pm on a Wednesday. Check in time is 3 so the room was not ready which I understand. Walked around town for a couple hours, came back at 4:30 room not ready. Waited in the lobby til 5:15, finally got the room key. When making the reservation. I specified that I wanted a suite with 2 rooms and a bed in each room (we had a friend meeting us there for a 2 nite stay). When we entered the room there was no bed in the second room. I called the desk and was told that they do not have rooms with 2 beds, even though the suite had 2 full baths? After 3 phone call to different people at the desk, they finally sent up a roll-away. They delivered it while we were out so they just left it in the middle of the room un-made. The carpets in the room where filthy. I mean filthy with stains all over and the furniture had stains and food crumbs on it. These stains were also all over the hallways out side our room and actually on almost every floor of the hotel. We called the front desk to complain and were told that they were short handed but that they would send someone up to clean. They never did. Now for the fun part. The toilet was not achored to the floor and would rock back and forth. Called the desk again and a maintanance man came up and said that he could not do anything about it until the next day and it might take several hours to fix. We asked for a different room, but of course there were none available. We were forced to use the other bath room in the suite. The next day while we were out site-seeing they did come to fix the toilet, but the carpet was never cleaned as was not the furniture. Just one more thing because I don't have time to write more. When we arrived there was 1 bag of coffee for us to brew, which makes 1 cup with one little container of cream. I placed a note on the table requesting that we would like a couple more coffee bags and a few more creamers. When the people came to clean the room, such as they did, the left 1 more coffee and one more cream. The second room which also had a coffee pot, on had 1 bag of Tea. One day we wanted to go to a restrauant that we had heard about. The hotel does have a free shuttle that would go according to them in a 4 mile range. The restrauant was 2.5 miles but they would not go there. We asked the person at the desk if he could call a cab for us and also if he could check to see if it was open that day. He told us that it WAS open and called the cab. When we arrived it was CLOSED. We had the cab driver take us to another restrauant but the area looked so bad that he advised us not to get off, so he took us back to downtown. The trip cost us$20. plus tip. Waste of time and money.
    Compared to other Doubletrees we have stayed at in the past, this Memphis hotel is the pits. There are so many othere nice hotels in the area, I would never stay at that one again.
    One last thing...... WE DID GET OUR COOKIE.....

Unique Quality: Lobby was nice, rooms were not!

Directions: Mid town Memphis

• imlikeabird's Profile Photo

Great room & location

Very modern & comfortable room. Lots of pillows. Wi-fi. Easy walking distance to Beale Street and the FedEx Forum. TGI Fridays on site that serves breakfast. Great lobby area with glass elevators.

Unique Quality: I adore the Doubletree cookies you get at check in.

Directions: Across the street from the Peabody.

• Betje's Profile Photo

A nice and friendly place to stay

One of the reasons I chose Doubletree Memphis Downtown is because UPTA had a deal with them. It is a really nice hotel with a great and friendly staff. Check in was quick and easy and we even got a nice warm, very delicious chocolate and nut cookie (def nice since i hadn't had dinenr yet). I did have some problems with getting into my room but when I went back downstairs to tell them, the general manaer lept to his feet to help fix the problem. The rooms are nicely furnished and a decent size. I so could have slept Forever on the King sized bed, that's for sure!! There is also the nice benefit of having a TGIFridays actually in the hotel. Also this hotel is only a few blocks from Beale street and a block from Peabody Hotel and the Peabody Plaza and right across the street is the AutoZone park. It's also located right by the greyhound station so very convient if that's how you are traveling.

More about Doubletree Hotel Memphis Downtown

Friendly nd Helpful Staff

by TripAdvisor Member NYWanderers

We stayed here for two nights as a place to stay in downtown Memphis, see Graceland, "do" Beale Street, and just enjoy the city. Our room was quite large but the size of the furniture made for small space nevertheless. The lobby's big and open (with an old brick facade inside it for some reason). My wife had problems getting the shower to work properly and the cold water sink tap had very weak pressure - we were on the 4th floor. But the staff was the biggest delight for us, They were friendly, willing to help (we were part of a group of 7), arranged transportation to and from Graceland and the airport when we left, and coopearive in every way. (A word of warning about Memphis cab drivers: they will try to drive you someplace without the meter running, not quote you a price, and then charge whatever they think they can get away with.) All in all, we found the hotel OK, not great - a little more expensive than necessary.

Noisy at Night

by TripAdvisor Member gizzyuk

Stayed in the Doubletree Downtown for 4 nights, our first visit to Memphis. Reception and staff friendly and helpful, v reasonable meals and friendly staff at TGI's.
Rooms a good size, v poor lighting. Clean, although carpets stained. Very noisy at night, ongoing loud humming noise and screeching and revving of the many car racers outside. They must have fantastic music systems for the fifth floor to vibrate! A good view of the police road blocks! V interesting to watch the 'goings on' from our window! Would certainly not go out alone, although it was reasonably ok walking to Beale St and back at night. Would not stray from the downtown area at night. A good time to be had if you know where to go and not to.

Enjoyable Stay Near Beale

by TripAdvisor Member ATennesseeTraveler

The Doubletree is a nice hotel with a great location to Beale. Only a 2 block walk. Our room was clean, quiet, spacious and very comfortable. The bed was great with lots of pillows. Everything was very clean in the room except the old stained carpet but rarely do I ever walk barefoot on hotel carpets anyway so not that big of deal just don't forget to bring your flip flops! Our bellman recommended Blues City Cafe for the best local ribs in the area so we had dinner there and the ribs were delicious! The walk back to the hotel late that evening (around midnight) was filled with people all along the way, no long dark stretches to feel unsafe in. All in all we had a very good experience at this hotel. And I would recommend that you give it a try.

Mix Feelings

by TripAdvisor Member GEOFFS3

I was here on a Saturday night in May - fairly busy weekend night in downtown Memphis.

LOCATION - Really doesn't gey better. Right across the street (you can touch it, it's so close) from the ballpark. Bealle Street is only 2-3 blocks away. Restaurants, bars, shopping, sights....it's all very, very close.

NOISE - Bring your earplugs.. This is a noisy place. The noise level (at least the night I was there) was deafening. No way you could have even thought about going to bed before midnight. The ballpark across the street had the music blaring very late. There is noise from the street, too. Maybe there is a quieter location than what I had.

SERVICE - Wasn't a fan. Not rude, but staff definetly was indifferent. You get the idea the employees aren't very valued there......

FACILITY - Beautiful atrium lobby with glass elevators. Very social in the lobby. Great gym for a hotel. There is a TGI Friday's in the lobby. Avoid it. Several of my colleagues had bad experiences there.

ROOMS - Ugh. Mine smelled like a nursing home. This is a very old hotel and you got the feeling there was layer after layer of paint on the walls. The bedding and room were nice, but something was just off. I think that it SMELLED old.

For a quick stay, this place isn't bad. Keep your expectations low and I think you'll be happy.

One Small Word of Caution

by TripAdvisor Member S1C2P3

This is a nice hotel, with very good and responsive staff.
Only one word of caution. We booked a nonsmoking corner room. We were given one on the northwest side of the hotel, and it smelled of smoke. We recognized it immediately and we were assured it was a non smoking room. Air freshener helped, but we smelled smoke throughout the stay. When we got back home, we noticed that all of our clothes (even those that had stayed in the closet) had to be washed.
My guess is that the northwest corner rooms are directly above the TGIF bar, and the smoke works its way up.

Enjoyed My Stay

by TripAdvisor Member travelfravely

I was recently in Memphis for business, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Doubletree. The lobby was huge and they had this giant facade that had been reconstructed with the original bricks inside the hotel atrium. My room was comfortable and had a great workspace with free wireless internet, which helped me catch up. One plus was the A/C individual climate control, which made it easy to cool down after coming inside away from the humidity. As it was my first time in Memphis, I loved being so close to Beale Street and all of the action. I will definitely be back.

Comments