Hampton Inn & Suites Memphis Shady Grove

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

More about Memphis

Synagogue of MemphisSynagogue of Memphis

Elvis clothesElvis clothes

Inside the Diner (waiting for the tour)Inside the Diner (waiting for the tour)

GracelandGraceland

Advice on 4 Night Visit to Memphis

by Lindapen

We are visiting Memphis June 2nd 2006 to June 6th, would like to do the usual Elvis scene of course, and get to Tupelo, are there any tour buses or is it advisable to hire a car, if so what rental company is reccommended. We are staying at the Park Place Holtel which has good reviews but is situated 15 miles out east, we think we shall be a little stranded out there, any advice would be very welcome. We have had a little experience of driving in the U.S. but not much.
Regards,
John and Linda Reed, England

RE: Advice on 4 Night Visit to Memphis

by MrsRealEstate

I would rent a car. I am not sure if there are buses or not. Try talking with Graceland's tourism department. Tupelo is a pretty far drive from Memphis. You will have to have your own transportation.

Travel Tips for Memphis

local hospitality sets Memphis apart

by richiecdisc

Neither of our numbers were called but as chance would have it one of our new friend's was and he promptly said to give it to the new guy. I proudly walked up to the keg on the bar and was handed a wooden mallet with which I was to tap the cask of the day. Luckily, I had done this before at my wedding in Germany where I swung a bit too softly so this time I wouldn't look like a complete amateur. With one swell swoosh the beer was flowing and I was handed a nice “Cellar Man” logo glass filled with the cask dry stout of the day. It was delicious, especially after all the hard work, and I beamed all the way back to my seat.

We enjoyed a few more beers but were getting hungry. The pub's food was pricey and even the locals said that if we were in town for only one night we should hit a rib joint. Which one was the question and the subject of much debate. Same as the Internet, there were many opinions. Corky's was mere fast food and not even in contention. It seemed to boil down to two places. One was a nicer place close by and the other in a bad neighborhood better visited during the day. We opted for the former for dinner and figured if still in the mood we'd hit the other for lunch the next day. We sadly said goodbye to our new drinking buddies. They'd made us feel at home and wondering why we would have ever hesitated coming to Memphis in the first place. Oh, the ribs? Both were great. The beer, that was great too. But it's the people that were the real pleasure, and that was all over town. Down South hospitality is no myth. They really are more friendly there and you become more friendly too, just by being around them.

Smalltown USA !!!

by eddieboy726

Erin Tenn, is a small country town about 100 miles from Memphis. It's close to Leatherwood Creek, and Paris Landing. I have realtives that live here. Not alot to do, but ride up and down the strip. There are a couple of motels in town. (P.S. they roll up the sidewalks early).

Beer from around the world

by myrtle about Flying Saucer Draught Emporium

At the Flying Saucer you can find many many different kinds of beer. They are said to have hundreds of different kinds of beer. If you go on the weekends you are likely to find live music here, and when there is a band there is a cover charge. I don't think it's anything more than about $5. When it starts warming up outside they will open the windows and you can watch people as they walk by heading to Beale Street. There are some couches you can sit on here, but if they are taken you can just head into the next room where the bar is & sit down at a table or at the bar. There are also several pool tables.

world famous barbeque

by John_P_LSU about Corky's Ribs & BBQ

This restaurant, with locations in Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, and Indiana has been voted the best Bar-B-Q in Memphis every year from 1985-2001 (and maybe beyond). And, memphis brags it is the BBQ capital of the world (as does Kansas City).

All I know is the food here is really good. Pulled Pork (shoulder) - this tender meat is hand-puled and is wonderfully flavorful!

Oh my GOSH ! There are sooooo...

by Wytpdibby

Oh my GOSH ! There are sooooo many fantastic restaurants in Memphis - For BARBEQUE,I would say don't miss Corky's on Poplar Avenue - For GRILLED STEAKS, it would have to be The Butcher Shop right in downtown Memphis. If you want ITALIAN, I love the Macaroni Grill on the corner of Kirby and Poplar. On Beale St. I like the Rum Boogie Cafe serving TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN FARE, ie: hushpuppies & fried catfish, greens, red beans and rice, ribs etc. as well as hamburgers for the less southern palate.Also on Beale is the Kings Palace which has really fantastic Etouffee and ribs.
If you wish to go to Corky's, esp. on a Friday or Saturday night - you will need to get there early - say 4:30 -5:00 in order to avoid the waiting lines of 40 min. + (Reservations are not accepted except for large parties )
Of course, while you are waiting, the bar can provide libation! Hint: The people at Corky's have built a second location out in the Cordova area of Memphis at Dexter and Germantown Pkwy.- it is slightly larger than the original on Poplar and not QUITE as crowded. From Corkys I love the pulled pork with coleslaw and BBQ beans. My Dad and husband love the ribs.
In Memphis, if you order ribs, they will ask you if you want them 'wet' or 'dry'. Wet means the ribs have been basted with BBQ sauce as they slowly cook so they are sticky and lovely with the delightful sauce. Dry means the ribs have slowly cooked the same as the wet, but rather than being basted with sauce, they are literally rubbed with spicy, dry powdered seasonings, and are served just as they come out of the ovens. This is why the tables have squeeze bottles of BBQ sauce on them. You then apply sauce to your taste. ( We didnt know that when we moved here from the north and had dry without any sauce. WE were not happy campers that night...thankfully we have since been educated!)

Comments