Holiday Inn Express Memphis

HIExpress.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Memphis

Elvis Presley Statue near Beale streetElvis Presley Statue near Beale street

Graceland car, Elvis museum, Memphis, TNGraceland car, Elvis museum, Memphis, TN

MusicMusic

The King's planeThe King's plane

Stay in Memphis

by chipper99

Hi. We will be in Memphis for a few days this summer doing the Graceland thing etc. We are currently researching hotels. Can anyone give us any advice on areas / hotels to avoid or that are good and also any info on taxi costs in the city. Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

by horsinround2

Unfortunately I don't have an answer as to where TO stay. But I can tell you NOT to stay in the downtown or Graceland area - they're not safe at night. I'll ask a couple of friends & hopefully have a better answer for you over the weekend.

by chipper99

Thanks horsin, much appreciated.

by riorich55

I've never stayed downtown, but the Peabody Hotel in downtown Memphis is very nice. My wife and I had an anniversary dinner at the hotel about 10 years ago. On my business trips down to Memphis I've stayed at the Marriott Courtyard near the airport and also at a regular Marriott just east of the airport. If you are looking to go out at night and want to stay in the safer areas of Memphis then you want to head to the east side of town going out toward Germantown Hills and Collierville.

Hi all,

is there a txi stand at or nearby the Greyhound station in Memphis?

by riorich55

No idea. Why don't you just call the Greyhound Station in Memphis and ask them.

by Rooster_poot

I love folks that respond about a city that they have no clue about.
Anyway, feel free to e-mail here and I can give you more details that are honest and true.

by riorich55

What are you saying exactly?? I've been in Memphis on business 5 or 6 times and do know a little bit about the city. My wife's relatives are also very involved with St. Jude's.

by chipper99

I emailed Greyhound again and they told me to bring the dud tickets to the station when I am actually travelling and they can refund them. Took them 5 minutes to reply to this one.

Travel Tips for Memphis

heading north to go west?

by richiecdisc

Heading out of New Orleans we were driving north, a funny direction when you're destination in the long run is west. But Memphis was north and this trip was not just about revisiting old friends for me and introducing them to my new wife but about discovering some new things together. Memphis had always both intrigued and alluded me. It was never en route on my previous three drives across country and I was determined that if this was to be my last such venture, at least for a very long time, I was going to make it to the home to the blues and the house that Elvis built.

Normally, I'd have been quite excited but after two indulgent and expensive days in New Orleans we were already over budget for our six month trip that was primarily designed to camp and enjoy the great nature of the US National Park system. Memphis would be a more welcomed relief after a couple of weeks backpacking ourselves into a exhausted and starving state. That's when creature comforts like a bed and hot cooked meal by somebody else are most appreciated. But sometimes things don't work out how you'd like. The closest National Park on our radar was close to 1000 miles away and Memphis was in no way on the way there. But it was where we were headed just the same, appropriately listening to some old blues and Chuck Berry's namesake song. (continued in Fondest Memory)

Hungry for Elvis?

by Elena_007

Elvis will always be a part of our history, and I remember hearing stories about him, as I was growing up in Memphis, Tennessee. I was just a teenager when I heard the news about his death. I cried. I admired the man for his generous nature and of course, his many talents. I had wanted to see him in concert one day, but I never had the chance.

I had a coupon for Edy's ice cream, and I decided to try the Elvis, Love Me Tender Brownies flavo(u)r and it was really good! Too bad it was a Limited Edition, and when I returned to buy more, it was no longer available. The brownies really were "tender" as they melted in your mouth. It also had thick fudge swirled in rich and creamy vanilla ice cream. I do not know if this ice cream was available in other parts of America, or the world, for that matter. In Memphis, Elvis is everywhere!

Are we in Egypt?

by grandmaR

The only surviving one of the Seven Ancient Wonders is the Great Pyramid of Giza, the necropolis of ancient Memphis, and today part of Greater Cairo in Egypt.

When the Memphis in Tennessee was founded in 1819 and incorporated as a city in 1826 it took its name from the old Egyptian capitol.

I guess it was considered appropriate for the Tennessee Memphis to have its own pyramid as a symbol. So they built the 32-story Pyramid Arena in 1991. At that time, it was the home court for the University of Memphis men's basketball program. When the National Basketball Association's Grizzlies moved from Vancouver in 1995, and became the Memphis Grizzlies, they also played here. The Grizzlies moved to the FedEx Forum in 2005,

The pyramid is visible from almost everywhere downtown, and approaching Memphis from the river side

Rental Car

by grandmaR

In order to have wheels while our car was being repaired, we rented a car from Budget. The Mercedes place got us a special rate of $32/day. I tried Enterprise first and it was $36/day although it was much less than that when I looked on the internet. We got a white Chrysler.

We got a ride over to the Budget place in a very fancy Mercedes limosine. It had an alternative fuel engine. Now that would be the way to travel!!!

Cozy Corner

by anne_h about Cozy Corner

Really good bbq ribs. In a nondescript strip mall. Don't be put off by the location or the look of the place. People are friendly and the food is really good. Most, if not all, of these places have their own pits where they roast the pork for hours.

Comments