Homewood Suites Memphis Hacks Cross

Lorraine Motel, MemphisLorraine Motel, Memphis

colorful Beale Streetcolorful Beale Street

Moving to Memphis

by lauranole

Hi, I am moving to Memphis for a new job and would like to know the areas that are safest and more geared toward younger people.

Re: Moving to Memphis

by daileyjoy

I sent you an email with my email address, I have lived here all my life so I can tell you anything you want to know. We are moving to Romania in May so I understand the fear of moving too a new place so no question is to stupid. Just email me as ask away!
Jennifer

Re: Moving to Memphis

by shekkie

First I would not advise anybody to move to Memphis....I made a mistake in moving there for sevral years....the place is behind the cultural curve for young people or just plain ole thinking people...there are better places for a career in my opinion......but if you have to do it....I suggest staying way the heck out of the City...in the suburbs...Germantown and Coliierville, or maybe Arlington......if you are 'facsinated' by the city and can afford a decent newer townhome, loft, etc, then maybe look at Mud Island area downtown or a very few selective places in MidTown......do your time and get the heck out of there !,, the place is primitive, repressive, and tends to be very caught up in the aspects of 'race' and politics...to much so.....bad educational system....bad infrastructure....bad attitudes.....awful drivers....and a very high crime rate indeed.....whatever you do, be careful there.......I say this even as a resident of Germantown ! the place is quite awful

Travel Tips for Memphis

see the ducks at the...

by Maryt1948

see the ducks at the Peabody!!!!! The Trolley Rides down Main Street and along the river front.We enjoyed Memphis so much! The city is currently renovating many of it's old historical bldgs. We were amazed!

Gambling in Tunica

by myrtle

Since the only kind of gambling that is legal in Tennessee is the lottery (which just started in 2004), you'll have to go to Tunica, Mississippi for the casinos. I still haven't been to Tunica since the casinos opened up. Mississippi didn't legalize gambling until about 10 years ago. I hear it's no Vegas, but it's only about 30-45 minutes from Memphis.

Don't be fooled - Alfred is a MONKEY!

by sarahbeth11 about Alfred's on Beale

We went to Alfred's to get something to eat on Saturday, and ended up staying for several hours! As soon as we sat down, the manager came and sat in the 4th chair at our table. I can't get over how friendly people are! The waitress joked with us, and we made friends with some regulars who gave us some tips about the place. Cover starts early! And don't try to avoid it by saying you know Alfred--he's a monkey who hangs over the bar. Unfortunately, we ran out of film and had to head back to the hotel to get another camera. When we got back, we weren't too set back by the $5 cover, and found the place was hopping. The two bands that play regularly are both great, and keep people of all ages dancing. It's a similar atmosphere as BB King's, but a much younger crowd. Lots of guys more than willing to buy drinks for a group of girls! Eventually, the thrill of drinking in the street got the best of us, and it was time to move on.

Dry rub at its best!

by JacquelineRenee about The Rendezvous

A boisterous hangout! Rendezvous is a cozy cellar that draws all to take a part of their offerings of chicken, rib, and all things barbeque. Collectibles and Memphis what-nots adorn the walls. And the ceiling. And hang all over each other every which way covering everything. The whole place is an amazing eclectic explosion of historical fun. Not since Adam have ribs been so famous! (Sign at The Rendezvous) Don't forget to start with the cheese plate!

Pizza was great

by Kene91 about Black Diamond

The restaurant featured a jukebox that had over 140,000 songs and the Bartender was playing all his favorites. I think this it the place were a few locals hang out. The pizza was real yummy and if you need something in your stomach for a night of drinking, this is a great place to go.

Comments