Inn at Hunt Phelan

533 Beale Street, Memphis, Tennessee, 38103, United States

More about Memphis

Graceland car, Elvis museum, Memphis, TNGraceland car, Elvis museum, Memphis, TN

ConductorConductor

now an old pro at tapping the casknow an old pro at tapping the cask

boogie-woogieboogie-woogie

1 night in Memphis

by danielinnz

I am having a week in southern Missouri in June and then want to head to Memphis to visit Graceland and have one night there before flying to Maine. Any suggestions for a well priced and located hotel/hostel?? i will have a car so somewhere with safe parking would be good too. Is it far from downtown to the airport?

Thks

Daniel

RE: 1 night in Memphis

by clmetal

Graceland is very close to the airport. The Graceland area is not great so you would not do anything besides Graceland.

Beal Street is the party area which is right near the downtown. Like a little version of Burbon Street (New Orleans). You will hear blues, have places to eat and drink, . . I recommend staying there. You will be 15-20 miles from the airport. Prices are reasonable, your car will be safe (but you will pay something of course).

RE: 1 night in Memphis

by garmentlady

When are you in Memphis? I am there 6/21-24 and back in Germany in July

Travel Tips for Memphis

Do not expect the pace of the...

by Wytpdibby

Do not expect the pace of the norteast here, esp. at restaurants. The key to remember here - Fast food, isn't.
Drive through windows here take at a minimum, 8 minutes bewtween ordering and recieving your food. That is s MINIMUM ! Usually longer.

Visit the National Ornamental...

by ccitrone

Visit the National Ornamental Metal Museum. Spend some time walking around HarborTown (beautiful homes) and eat lunch at the Pizza place in HarborTown square. Visit the Elmwood Cemetery which was established in 1852 - especially if you are a history buff. This is on the register of historic places. A Scwabs on Beale Street is a must.

Ideal Transport to Connect you to Downtown Sights

by aphrodyte

I love trollies!

If you plan on seeing several sights in Downtown Memphis or you are centralizing yourself there, you cannot go wrong with using the MATA Trolley or Bus Service. I drove to the North End Terminal, a hub which serves both trollies and buses. The parking there was free. I bought two all-day trolley passes there. You can buy 1-2-or-3 day passes from the trolley operators, but if you want to buy the monthly passes you would have to go to the North End Terminal (between Auction and Overton on Main St, just north of I-40).

Once you board the trolley, you place your brand new pass in the change machine and it time stamps it. You only have to do that once and any time after that, you just show the pass to the operator.

We really were not pressed for time so we did not pay attention to the accuracy of their time schedules. I felt that they were pretty consistent and we did not have to spend more that 10-12 minutes for a trolley at any given time.

Some trolley stops did have seating, but other stops were no more than a glorified awning to shield you from the elements (i.e. civic center stop - it's pretty don't get me wrong...but come on...where are the seats?).

Our experience with the trolley operators and their assistants were great. They were helpful with questions and always called out the next stop. Some even have brochures of museums, popular sights and trolley stops (always helpful if you can't print it off from their website)

I think there are stop pulls on the trollies, but you know...I always call out "yep, that's me" or yelled "thank you".

Trolley Base Fare $1.00
Senior and Disabled Fare $0.50
Lunchtime Fare All Riders
(11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) $0.50
Transfer to Fixed Route Bus $1.50
2-Ride Trolley Pass $1.50
Daily Pass $3.50
3-Day Pass $8.00

Operators do not make change...so be prepared!!

A more concise list of trolley fares are on the MATA Website.

We don't eat out much when we...

by Mammabunny1

We don't eat out much when we visit Memphis, because my brothers and sisters have to have us over for at least one meal at each of their houses before we leave. And that pretty much covers our stay there. My favorite menu item can only be found at my mothers house. It is her Caramel Cake.

Seafood in a Surreal Atmosphere

by anderschwan about Anderton's Restaurant

Ok - first I went here because of the name - (my last name) but it is also a Memphis Landmark. The place is straight out of a 50's Ester Williams film. No joke. But the food is great and you get a lot for a little bit of money.
I love it.

From Fodor's:
The decor is so outdated it's now retro and fun. The menu is extensive and the prices are very reasonable for the portions and quality. Enjoy several surf and turf options; both the steaks and seafood are excellent. Wait staff is friendly and attentive. A great find in Midtown Memphis. Probably the New Orleans style oysters.

An interesting side note, the upcoming film 21 Grams, with Sean Penn and Naomi Watts, filmed their Martini Bar sequence here.

Comments