Memphis Hotels

Our Members Say

• susiemargare profile photo susiemargare
  • Reviews: 189

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

express inn: basic lodging but pet-friendly and terrific staff

this motel is actually in WEST memphis, ARKANSAS, but it is very convenient to downtown memphis, especially if you want to stay on the west side of memphis.

the express inn is a basic no-frills two-story motel, but i felt safe, and the people who work there are outstanding. i had a room with two double beds, a microwave, a small refrigerator, a coffee maker, and a large flat-screen TV. local calls are free, but if they had a provision for making long-distance calls, i couldn't figure it out. the heating worked great and the hot water was plentiful, which was good, because i chose the worst week in the entire year to travel -- snow, sleet, icy roads, temperatures down to 0° for several days in a row. in fact, i got stuck in west memphis for a few extra days because the roads, even the interstates, were impassable.

i had a little trouble getting the key card to work sometimes, but i suspect the weather might have been causing that. i am pretty hard of hearing, so i could never hear the phone ring, but once i was on the phone, the voice volume was OK (there is a volume control on the phone). clearing the ice off the steps up to the second floor was a hit-or-miss proposition, but, then again, there was a lot of ice (1/2" to 3/4" in some places).

there are several quickie restaurants nearby -- mcDonald's, KFC, petro truck stop place -- but because of the weather and driving conditions, i didn't look any further than those. although i didn't see anything else that particularly struck me, the desk staff told me that there were several nicer restaurants (applebee's, for example) another exit or two down the road. and by the way, in case you've ever wondered, it IS possible to live on chicken mcNuggets for three days if necessary!

they have a continental breakfast, but i was never up in time to check it out. they advertise free wi-fi too, but i don't have a laptop, so i didn't try to check that out, either. the write-up on booking.com says that they also have coin-operated washers and dryers. parking is free.

i paid $45/night. the motel evidently does not have a website, but i got reservations on-line through booking.com -- http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/express-inn-west-memphis.html?aid=332539;label=metagha-hotel-439342_site-localuniversal_ucc-US_dev-desktop_los-1_room-0_lang-en_curr-USD;sid=d7b4a063968642ef7afb0928c5866f70;dcid=4;checkin=2015-03-22;checkout=2015-03-23;ucfs=1;srfid=b93cbc99bda00e8c72e53d5f4594040373173eeaX1;highlight_room=43934202. getting the reservation was very easy.

if you make reservations through any other website, be sure to search for "WEST memphis, ARKANSAS" as the city rather than memphis, TENNESSEE.

the only things i would suggest that they add to the rooms are a TV channel guide, a local restaurant list (with addresses and phone numbers), and a guide to all of the features of the motel and how they work (the phone in particular). and maybe a phone book with both yellow and white pages.

i fell on the ice in the parking lot four times while i was there (but i don't blame the motel people for not being able to get the whole parking lot cleared, because this really was extraordinarily terrible weather), which is when i really began to appreciate the staff. every single time i fell down (always during the day, because i was too afraid of the ice to go out at night), one of the housekeepers rushed over to me and helped me get up; this was at some risk to them, because they easily could have slipped themselves. they also helped me carry both my dog and my luggage to the second floor, which i thought was way above and beyond the call of duty for a motel this inexpensive under any circumstances but especially with ice everywhere.

then i got addled and very anxious from falling down and having to spend a few extra days there because of the weather, and that is when i really began to appreciate the rest of the staff. you know how all microwaves have a different latch for opening the door? for the life of me, i could not figure out how to open the microwave. i know, amazing. but i called down to the desk, and the night guy very patiently explained to me exactly where the latch was. then i couldn't get the hot water to come on, and the night guy again patiently explained how to work the shower thing. (actually, the controls were reversed, so i plead somewhat justifiable incompetence on my part.) then i couldn't get the key card to work (probably because of the cold), and the night guy came up and helped me get into my room.

i am sure that none of these wonderfully helpful people is paid much above minimum wage, but everyone was incredibly gracious and kind to me. this is not a fancy place, but i would not hesitate for a minute to stay here again.

BEST OF ALL FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, THIS MOTEL IS DOG-FRIENDLY, with no additional fee for the dog! if you have a dog with you, it would probably be easier to ask for a room away from the stairs to reduce the problem of noise from people walking by.

• Related to: Travel with Pets, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written March 8, 2015

• Anaid1 profile photo Anaid1
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

La Quinta Inn and Suites on Millbranch road: Nice hotel close to airport, with free shuttle!

This is a great hotel to stay at, we flew in late (after 11 pm) and they still held the room for us, and sent the shuttle to pick us up from the airport. Even though there was only one staff at front desk, he worked it out to pick us up, then checked us and about 4 others parties in when he got back. Next morning front desk staff went out of their way to make sure we knew what our options were for sight-seeing, and even helped us book! Nice clean room, and good continental breakfast.we would definitely stay again!

Great staff, always helpful. Easy to get to from the airport, and close to Graceland

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Museum Visits, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written March 11, 2013

• frankcanfly profile photo frankcanfly
  • Reviews: 2603
Heartbreak Hotel

I didn't stay here, but there's a conveniently located "Heartbreak Hotel" right across the street from Graceland.

If the main purpose of coming to Memphis was to visit Graceland, I'd stay here. They have several channels dedicated to Elvis movies and concerts that play 24/7.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written June 4, 2005
Tip Photo

• susiemargare profile photo susiemargare
  • Reviews: 189

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

days inn west/pyramid: cheap lodging 15 mins from memphis

this motel is actually in WEST memphis, ARKANSAS, but it takes only about 15 mins to get from the motel to downtown memphis, and i suspect that it is cheaper than most places in memphis itself.

it is basic motel accommodation but perfectly adequate. the rooms have a good heating/AC system, TV, radio, phone, fairly good soundproofing (ask to be as far away from the interstate as you can). there is also a pool. parking is free.

i paid $45 for a room with a double bed.

they have suites by the week ($250 while i was there). these are advertised to have a kitchen; this would cut down quite a bit on food costs.

there are lots of restaurants nearby.

if you want to make reservations through the days inn website, be sure to put "WEST memphis, ARKANSAS" for the city.

from approx 7-9:30 am, there is a free breakfast in a room off the lobby. they have coffee, orange juice, doughnuts, sweet rolls, toast, cereal.

west memphis is not the most attractive place, and i would NOT go walking late at night, but if you have a car, you will be fine.

try to AVOID rush hours (7-9 am, 4-6 pm), because there is construction on the part of the interstate that goes into downtown.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written March 2, 2005

• Sarah169 profile photo Sarah169
  • Reviews: 8
Motel: Anywhere outside the city

Being on a budget we generally tended to stick to Motel 6, or super 8's.

Because Graceland is such a tourist pull, if its possible, i would stay away from that part of town..unless you want the full experience at the Heartbreak Hotel.

It was cheaper for us because the cost was split between 5 people, but generally the cost was about £55 for a double room (2 double beds).

• Related to: Budget Travel, Music, Arts and Culture
  • Written June 19, 2003

• KW38104 profile photo KW38104
  • Reviews: 5

Touring Memphis? Pick a Hotel...

Touring Memphis? Pick a Hotel that is Downtown. I repeat, Stay Downtown. If you dont have wheels, splurge for a cab to Graceland. It's roughly 12 miles away in an area of the City called Whitehaven. Do not be tempted by low hotel rates in the Graceland/ Airport area. This area has become crime ridden and WILL leave a bad impression of our City.. Besides, there is nothing other than Graceland to do in this area.

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written August 26, 2002
Tip Photo

• Mammabunny1 profile photo Mammabunny1
  • Reviews: 7

Can't beat the price, my mom doesn't charge me anything, except the promise to come back soon.

Breakfast every morning, babysitter at night, for the rare occasion when my husband and I get to go out alone.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written August 26, 2002

• Pamzam70 profile photo Pamzam70
  • Reviews: 21

My friend and I have stayed at...

My friend and I have stayed at various places around Memphis, but the one we've frequently stayed at has been the Days Inn Downtown. HOWEVER, it has now become a Best Western Benchmark Hotel. I haven't stayed there since it's become the B.W. (I'm going to Memphis in March, '01, so I'll let you know), thought. When it was the Days Inn, it was decent. Nothing fancy, just a place to sleep when we've had a long night on Beale Street!! Prices were pretty good (I believe $45-65, depending on season).

We've also stayed at the Days Inn on Lamarr Blvd (inconvenient to attractions; far from downtown), the Days Inn Graceland (across from Graceland), and the LaQuinta Inn on Camilla Street (by Baptist Memorial Hosp. This one was pretty nice, but again, not within walking distance like the Days Inn/Best Western is).
We're going in March, and I've reserved a room for $60 for 2 double beds.

The Best Western Benchmark Hotel is across the street from the Peabody, and is just within a few blocks from Beale Street.

• Written August 25, 2002

• TerryP profile photo TerryP
  • Reviews: 66
Stay away from the Best...

Stay away from the Best Western in Memphis. Its run by three guys who don't know the first thing about hospitilty. I had told them when I checked in that I would be paying cash when I checked out and the next day they told me that they had already charged my card. The breakfast was lame and the room wasn't that great either. Overpriced also.
Probably about $65 a night which granted doesn't seem like alot but it was for what we got. On our trip cross country we found much nicer rooms for less.

• Opinion of Price: about average