Memphis Marriott

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Comfort and Convenience in Memphis

I had a one-night stay at the Memphis Marriott. I used my certificate to stay here for free, but when we saw the room, we were VERY IMPRESSED. The room was very luxurious - much larger than we had expected, and the beds and linens were heavenly! I sank into the pillowtop bed and was cradled all night.

I love that Marriott keeps track of your preferences - when I arrived, there were 5 pillows on each bed. LOVE IT!

The hotel is located right off the highway, which is very convenient, about 8 miles from downtown. Far enough away to be quiet, but close enough to not be out of the way.

Unique Quality: Due to my Marriott Rewards status, I was given vouchers for free breakfast in the Blue Shoes restaurant. Even had I not been given the vouchers, the prices are very reasonable.

This hotel has many amenities, but since I was there for just one night, we did not partake. Overall, it was a lovely stay, and a pleasant surprise. I've always liked Marriott, but this one was most especially nice and modern.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Full Service Hotel Near Airport

On the 4th and last night of my business trip through Louisiana, Arkansas and Tennessee I finally stayed at a full service Marriott after having spent the 3 previous nights at 3 different Marriott Courtyards. The advantages of a Marriott over the Courtyards are a full service restaurant (had breakfast for $1 the next morning), bar, more spacious rooms and nicer bathroom facilities.

The disadvantages of a full service Marriott are no free internet connections (they charge anywhere from $9.95 to $12.95 depending on the city you are city in). I still don't understand their logic behind that.

But all in all the beds are extremely comfortable and for a person like myself, who doesn't conduct all night business and for the most part does not worry about being connected to the computer 24/7 this was a more then acceptable place to spend the night.

Unique Quality: I've stayed at several Courtyards in Memphis while on business. The first one was closer to the suburbs and the area surrounding it was very nice. The other Courtyard and this Marriott are located closer to the airport which are in neighborhoods that you would not want to go walking around with anytime after dark. Not that I saw anything dangerous, but when the facility has gates around the property you have to wonder a little bit. No restaurants close by, so unless you are eating at the hotel you will need a car.

Directions: Just off I-240 about 6 miles east of the airport and 10 miles from downtown

More about Memphis Marriott

Horse-drawn Carriages in Downtown Memphis

by Elena_007

If you can afford a ride around town in a horse drawn carriage, then I suppose it could be fun. Personally, I think they are overpriced, but they seem to be popular with the tourists. There may be different companies with slightly different rates, and I noticed some drivers bring along their pet dog who rides beside them in the driver's seat. The carriages are everywhere downtown, some fancier than others. Unless you plan on them picking you up from your downtown hotel, it is probably not necessary to book in advance.

Carriage Tours of Memphis Rates:

Downtown Tours
Half-hour tour -$45.00
One-hour tour - $75.00
One-way shuttle available on request
Group Tour Rates available on request

Hours:
Monday thru Friday 5 pm - 1 am
Satuday and Sunday Noon - 1 am
Other hours available with advance reservations

Carriages are stationed at
the following locations

1. The Peabody Hotel - 149 Union Avenue
2. Memphis Marriott Downtown- -250 N. Main across from the Memphis Convention Center
3. Beale Street - at Second and Third Streets
4. The Rendezvous - Nov. 6th Alley
(across from the Peabody Hotel)
5. Holiday Inn Select - 160 Union Avenue
6. The Butcher Shop - 101.S. Front Street

For more information, see the website below:

Yet another Memphis question - HOTELS

by Pamzam70

It's me again, I just posted about bringing our 4 year old to Memphis...

I'd like to have some suggestions about good/safe/close-to-Beale hotels anyone can recommend. My hubby and I have stayed at the Best Western Benchmark (which was a total dive then, five years ago, and according to recent reviews, it hasn't changed much) and are looking for something (the Comfort Inn, maybe) that's close enough to ride the Trolley or walk to Beale?

I heard the Sleep Inn may be a suggestion, but then again, I've heard differing opinions about that, too! How about the Holiday Inn on Union...?

Or, would you suggest, since our 4 year old is coming along, that we find something a little 'outside' of Beale/downtown, so we're not walking around at night?

We're looking to spend $125 at the MOST (although cheaper is always better!). Thanks for your help!!!!

RE: Yet another Memphis question - HOTELS

by daileyjoy

The Memphis Marriott is a great place to stay, right on the river with a beautiful view. I would also suggest you find activites out east if you have plans with your child at night, Beale street is no place for a child at night. If you want you can email me and I can give you some great ideas for your trip. I have lived here my whole life and give you some fun ideas for a 4 year old since I have 2 children myself. daileyjoy@yaoo.com
Jennifer