Park Place Hotel Memphis

Expedia.com FourPoints.com Orbitz.com

More about Memphis

Synagogue of MemphisSynagogue of Memphis

Elvis music, Elvis museum , Memphis, TNElvis music, Elvis museum , Memphis, TN

View from Where MLK was standing towards shooterView from Where MLK was standing towards shooter

those were some GOOD ribs!those were some GOOD ribs!

bad areas

by san12

i have read alot of things about safety in memphis and was wanting to know what areas to avoid and what areas to look for accomadation in? also what sights besides memphis are must sees? thanks

Before we can tell you what things are "must" sees

by PR-7

We MUST know exactly WHAT you are interested in. I can easily tell you things that interested ME, but I have no idea if they would interest YOU. For instance, I was rapturous about my visit to Sun Studios -- but if you're not interested in the early history of rock 'n roll, it would be an absolute waste of time and money.

It would also help if we knew (1) what your budget is, (2) what type of transportaion you intend to use, and (3) what time of the year you intend to visit.

Re: bad areas

by daileyjoy

Avoid North and South Memphis, orange Mound,Lamar,Martin Luther King Dr. East memphis is nice, some parts of mid-town are nice, As far as what to see the Zoo is nice, Gibson Guitar factory, Sun Studios, The Civil Rights Museum, Graceland although the area is bad after dark. Hope this helps, I lived in Memphis my entire life until May of this year when we moved to Romania.

Travel Tips for Memphis

Dont miss BB KIngs club on...

by Wytpdibby

Dont miss BB KIngs club on Beale st for fantastic music at night. During the day go to Mud Island Park - a short monorail ride over the backwash of the Mississippi River takes you to a scale model of the rivers and tributaries that feed into the Mississippi River, a pleasant walk which you will follow leisurely for about 40 minutes to the conclusion in New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico. Complete with the river running beside you ( in miniature AND in person ! )and beautiful floral and foliage plantings the whole length. It is a lovely walk and gives you a beautiful view of the real Mississippi River and the barges as you walk the model. Masterfully done. The famous aircraft, the Memphis Belle, is also on display on the island, at the start of the walk. Gift shops, the Barge Museum and restaurants on site. Then on to CORKY'S Barbeque Restaurant on Poplar Avenue DO NOT MISS IT!! The barbeque and Ruby Wilson at BB Kings!! Nothing like it anywhere else!

Feeling Lucky?

by Elena_007

Take a drive down a bit further south to Tunica, Mississippi and check out one of the nine different casinos. It is only about 40 miles from Beale Street. When the casinos were built, gambling in Memphis was strictly prohibited. They had even banned Bingo! Of course, now we have a Tennessee Lotto (just last year) but I don't know of any plans to build any casinos here in Memphis.

I actually worked at one of the first two casinos that were built about 10 years ago. It was called Lady Luck, but because of some crazy law, they had to actually float on the Mississippi River back then. Lady Luck has since then floated on down the river to Helena, Arkansas. The other casino, Splash, wasn't prepared for tourists because it offered no lodging, and consequently, died. Now all the casinos there have hotels within them. I remember when I was traveling to work everyday, Hwy 61 was just a two lane highway, and there were many head on collisions from drunk drivers leaving the casinos. My ex-husband's Dad was killed on that highway. I didn't work there very long. It just wasn't worth the risks to me. Of course, now there is a major four lane highway and Tunica looks like a mini- Las Vegas.

The Sheraton is my favo(u)rite only because they send me free vouchers every month for a free hotel room during the weekdays. They have a jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room. The Horseshoe has a great buffet, and the Grand is just grand. It is huge and has it's own entrance off of Hwy 61, and Grand water tower, even. I don't go very often, though, and have yet to visit them all. Most will comp you a meal if you play the tables for a while. Some give incentives for slots, too. There are lots of concerts by big name performers at the casinos, too. Check the entertainment calendar to see who is coming to town next.

Click on the photo to see the names of them all. For more information, check the website below. Good Luck!

Irish bar on Beale

by myrtle about Silky O' Sullivan's

I've only been to Silky O' Sullivan's a couple of times, but it's a great place to hang out when it's warm outside. I prefer to sit on the patio near the fountain, drink, and chat with my friends. I know there's a goat there somewhere, but I have never seen it myself. Although, I've never looked for it either.

If you're interested in drinking a lot, I know they sell drinks you can buy in a bucket & take with you. It will almost definitely take more than one person to finish these drinks!

Not the best

by maggiesbest2001 about Marlowe's

This place was recommended to me by
several people and I was disappointed on many different levels.
My pork sandwich was dry and the meat had an off taste.
The french fries were soggy and tasted like fish.
There was a unpleasant odor where we were seated, maybe from the bar.
I won't be going back.

Memphis’s oldest restaurant

by JacquelineRenee about The Arcade

The place has been used in the movies The Client and Great Balls of Fire. Walking into this diner takes you back in time, the perfect spot for one milkshake and 2 straws. Friendly waitstaff, its that Southern hospitality, serve yummy burger and fries. I would highly recommend a chocolate milkshake.

Comments