Ramada Inn Memphis

More about Memphis

Synagogue of MemphisSynagogue of Memphis

Elvis grave ,Elvis museum , Memphis, TnElvis grave ,Elvis museum , Memphis, Tn

B.B. King All Stars - House BandB.B. King All Stars - House Band

memorabilia at hard rock memphismemorabilia at hard rock memphis

How safe is 'Greyhound'?

by ballymac23

Travelling from Memphis, TN to Nashville, TN and next day Nashville to Birmingham, AL. Both journey's about 4 hours during daylight. Have read different reports from 'great& safe' to 'avoid like the plague'!
Would appreciate some advise.
Thanks
Janet

I'll continue giving the same advice I've always given

by PR-7

Maybe I'll say, "great and safe." Maybe I'll say, "avoid like the plague." Since you've done your research and read advice, getting one more person's view -- ie, mine -- may or may not make any difference. But I'll give it anyway.

The people who ride Greyhound in the U.S.A. are almost invariably down and out, the bus stations are invariably in a less than desirable part of cities, and the quality of the busses themselves are less than idyllic. If you're used to bus service in many other parts of the world, U.S. bus service will be a shock. You won't run into any danger while on the bus or within the station, but the area less than a block away might be a place you won't want to walk in. For a four hour ride, you can probably handle being with people you probably wouldn't voluntarily spend a few hours with -- or you may meet some of the most fascinating people you could imagine.

My advice is to try it out for the short time you expect. It could be a little discomforting, it may be great, it may be worth it for the price. But I can't imagine it'd be dangerous.

Travel Tips for Memphis

Spend an afternoon at the...

by AABrewer

Spend an afternoon at the Peabody Hotel.
Sit in the lobby, order a drink, and at 5 pm watch he ducks
march from the fountain to their special
penthouse on the roof! Memphis is a city full of trees!
Our spring weather is gorgeous!
Lots of flowering trees, bulbs...

Memphis library

by William1982

Quite a distance from the centre is the handy Memphis library. It's air conditioned, absolutely huge, and has free internet access on top of the range computers; allowing visitors to keep in touch in comfort. Take the bus along Poplar av. and ask the driver to tell you when to get off.
3030 Poplar Av.
You'll also find free newsletters on happenings in and around Memphis.

pay and bear it

by vivalasteph about B.B King's Blues Club

Right on the corner of Second and Beale, B.B's introduces you to this famous street. More expensive than anywhere else here, with a cover charge and higher-priced drinks, you still have to go. Features national acts as well as local.

Fabulous, for an alley!

by sarahbeth11 about Rendezvous

We knew about this place before we came. On our run Friday morning, we peered down downtown alleys in search of this restaurant. Waiting for our car at the BW to go to Graceland, we smelled something fabulous as the door opened. We had found it, RIGHT next to our hotel! We went pretty early, around 5:30. No wait. This place is efficient! Our waiter was right there to take our order, and had a pitcher of Michelob (only thing they have on tap...but it flowed nice and smooth) ready within a few moments. The barbecue was excellent, and the people were friendly. The waiter gave us suggestions on where to go next, and even took a picture with us before we headed out. By 6:30 when we left, the waiting room was packed! We were all too wimpy to order ribs...had barbecue sandwiches, chicken, pork, and beef, instead. They were all excellent. They have two kinds of BBQ sauce out on the tables...one is sweet, and the other is pretty spicy! I tried both, but the sweet sauce suited my mood a little better. All in all, a great meal!

Tops Bar-B-Q

by myrtle about Tops Bar-B-Q

Tops BBQ is more of a fast food type place to get some of Memphis' best barbecue. It's definitely not a very fancy restaurant, but the BBQ is probably my favorite in the city. I like to get the jumbo BBQ sandwich combo. I've also heard that their hamburgers are great, too.

Comments