Red Roof Memphis East

Priceline.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 26% less but rated 16% lower than other 2 star hotels

More about Memphis

Memphis, TN, US.Memphis, TN, US.

Elvis music, Elvis museum , Memphis, TNElvis music, Elvis museum , Memphis, TN

Night on Beale StreetNight on Beale Street

no fancy eating here, dig inno fancy eating here, dig in

worried about safety in memphis

by smifco5610

Hello,
Im bringing my wife and daughter to Memphis for our vacation. Were from England and I have seen numerous warnings about venturing out after dark in Memphis. Were stopping at the heartbreak hotel which apparently is in a bad part of town. Is there anything to worry about or is it all hype. We will obviously want to go to Beale Street, and some of the other major attractions. Can anyone give me the do's and dont's. We wont be using a car,so which is the safest way to get about. If it helps we've been to Vegas a few times, and been Downtown there without any problems, is Memphis any worse or better?. Obviously we dont intend to wander off anywhere but what about returning to the hotel at night, are there likely to be problems outside at night?.
Well thanks in advance for any tips
Smifco5610

Re: worried about safety in memphis

by olddude

My personal opinion is that if you don't go out after dark, Memphis really isn't worth going to all. The best stuff happens at night. It is no better or worse than any major city for safety (although Memphis crime statistics may say otherwise). Just be aware like you would anywhere else in the world. FYI, I just checked the current crime stats and Memphis has just slightly more violent crime than the Las Vegas. Those stats are somewhat misleading however, since most of the violent crime in the southern part of the US occurs among people who know each other as opposed to crimes against total strangers as in Vegas. Remember the roving gangs of young people beating tourists (some caught on video) in Vegas last year? Also, check the very limited warnings and dangers on Memphis here on VT.

Re: worried about safety in memphis

by smifco5610

thanks olddude. thats what I was expecting but its nice to hear it from someone whos in the know just the same. by the way theres been several murders everytime weve visited vegas but of course you dont see it you hear it on the news. Also to be honest we get several violent deaths here in our neck of the woods as well the uk is a pretty dangerous place to be these days as well. Anyway thanks for your help, keep well and prosper

Some small bits of advice

by PR-7

Wherever you check in, ask the staff about places they consider unsafe.
Always be aware of where you are; Memphis is a place that can go from perfectly safe to scary in just a few blocks.
I'm amazed that I have to say this, but just in case: don't wear expensive jewelry -- it's like a neon sign advertising "Quick, easy pickings."
Keep aware of those around you. If you feel unsafe, there's probably a reason, and you don't have to apologize about leaving an area.
Stay sober enough to do the previous bit of advice.

Cabs are probably the safest way to get about, particularly when returning to your hotel after a night on Beale Street.

Travel Tips for Memphis

Visit Graceland. Although not...

by schmoopy

Visit Graceland. Although not as 'wild' as some people thought it would be, I found the tour of Elvis and Priscilla's home to be thought provoking and interesting. From the Jungle Room to the pool, everything has remained untouched, including family photos and of course some of the garish decor. There are also musuems across the street, one with Elvis' costumes (which I thought was fantastic) and one with his cars. Definitely see the house and don't miss the gates of Graceland with all of their notes and messages written by fans over the years. As I was the guide of a tour group from Canada, I thought I would have some fun and dress up as Elvis in anticipation of our arrival in Memphis. In my polyester pants and shirt and fun fur sideburns I led the bus in singing some of the number one Elvis songs. It was a blast.

River Trail - Gorgeous!

by sarahbeth11

So the Mississippi River isn't the most beautiful body of water in America. The trail, however, is a fantastic place to walk or run. My teammate and I went for a jog our first morning in town, and decided to just head toward the river and see what we found. By accident, we ended up on a cement trail that went up on the bluff that overlooks the river. It goes behind about a mile or so of GORGEOUS houses. The trail seems to end sort of abruptly, but it really turns to the left and puts you in this fantastic neighborhood with cobblestone streets and big historic houses. I'm not sure how you get to it from the street, because it seems like it would be right in the shady part of town. It was beautiful though! We ran through the neighborhood and came upon a footbridge that crossed back over the road. We ran back on the trail at the bottom of the bluff, that runs right along the river. It ends at the riverboat, where we took Union right back up to our hotel.
Very highly recommended!!

Great blues juke joint!

by Hopkid about Mr. Handy's Blues Hall

Mr. Handy's Blues Hall is a great spot to hear a blues band. It is pretty small and only has a handful of tables and stools on one side of the narrow room and a bar with addtional stools on the other. The stage is on the end of the room opposite the entry from Beale Street. It is this intimate setting that makes seeing a band here really nice. It reminded me of a couple of the blues bars I've been to on Halstead Street in Chicago. Bar service is fast and friendly although their on tap selection was a bit lacking.

Another plus is that the place is great for people watching. We saw quite a few colorful characters on the two nights we spent time here. And everyone in there is very friendly just taking in the music and atmosphere and wanting to have a good time. On both nights we saw local blues band, Delta Highway. We were so impressed by them the first night we had to come back the next night! Definitely a great experience! Casual

An anachronism, and all hype

by shekky about Rendezvous

I must say that this place is a 'legend in it's OWN mind', or for people that don't know any better. Some of the reviews here are 2 years old or date back to almost 2003. The BBQ is dry and reminds you of eating something akin to sawdust. The ribs taste like they have been sitting under a friggen heatlamp for days. The service is loust and indifferent. Many of the servers act as though they are doing you a favour. This place may have been something special in the 1970s, but it's truly lousy. There are better BBQ places. The servers act like they are in some kind of oppressive, southern timewrap. It needs to fade away with 'Ole Man River'.

PASS Nothing is good...maybe the beer on second thought

Disappointing meal

by soundsgoodtome about Alfred's On Beale

Alfred's is the typical bar/restaurant on Beale Street. If the weather is nice, I recommend sitting on the upstairs patio. The atmosphere is fairly nice because you are right in the middle of Beale Street and the live music can be heard from outside. Prices are also fairly reasonable. The service was quite slow and they were not very busy. My waiter accidently gave me unsweet tea, and instead of replacing it with sweet tea when I told him, he just brought packs of sugar and sweet n low. When I finally got a refill, which I had to wait a long time for, my tea was finally sweet. The only thing we had that was pretty good was the house salad. I had the cajun salmon which was very bland and tasteless. The potatoes O'Brien were alright but your taste buds seem to like them less and less as you eat more. They are slightly mashed and made in a creamy cheese sauce with onion and green pepper. Avoiding the onions and peppers definitely makes them taste better. The toasted bread was also good.

Comments