50 Harbor Town Sq., Memphis, Tennessee, 38103, United States
Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Rated 10% higher but also costs 85% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Memphis

The Peabody marching ducks, Peabody hotel, MemphiThe Peabody marching ducks, Peabody hotel, Memphi

Elvis clothesElvis clothes

2010 Schedule2010 Schedule

Guitars in the Rum Boogie CafeGuitars in the Rum Boogie Cafe

Beale Street for Kids? (4 year old)

by Pamzam70

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I (who've been to Memphis about 5 years ago on our own) plan on taking our 4 year old son to Memphis in Sept 2006 for his birthday (he loves Elvis and all things blues and rock n roll) and would totally dig Graceland/Beale Street.

I've read posts that Beale Street/Memphis at night isn't a great place for kids at night. Can you give me reasons why? Our son would really love the atmosphere with the lights/sounds of Beale Street (you'd have to know him, again, he is a freak for music). Obviously, we couldn't/wouldn't take him into any of the bars super late at night (maybe for dinner). But would sitting in the Pavilion on Beale, listening to music, be 'a problem?'

Would you all suggest we visit 'early' on in the evening (around 7-8 or so) and head back to the hotel?

It's one thing for just my husband and I to visit, but to have our son along, too, of course, we want to be safe...

Thanks for your help!

RE: Beale Street for Kids? (4 year old)

by shekky

Beale street is an over-rated place in the first place- it's designed for drinking adults for the nightime- it's not designed for kids AT ALL- kids have no place around this this of atmosphere at night, heck they ought to be asleep- there is no place I would suggest on Beale Street even at 7 or 8- I mean there's no Chuckie Cheeses on Beale Street, there's booze music, and a bunch of drunks on the weekend---I'm not sure whether any 4 year old knows WHAT they appreciate, and they certainly won't remember seeing Graceland or any other of the Memphis tourist crap--just my opinion--in short, it seems inappropriate and a waste of time to haul a 4 year old around on Beale---try the Zoo, or something educational.

Travel Tips for Memphis

Memphis in May International Festival

by myrtle

May is quite possibly the best time to visit Memphis. It's finally warmed up & Memphis in May is back!

Memphis in May is a festival we have been celebrating here in Memphis for many years. Each year a different country is selected for us to celebrate. People representing that country are brought to Memphis to share their culture with us. For 2005 we are celebrating Ireland.

The month long festival starts out the first weekend in May with the Beale Street Music Festival. It's a 3 day music festival with 2 main stages & a few others. You will find not only very popular well-known bands, but also a few unknowns. This music festival offers music from many different genres & they're all brought together to celebrate Memphis in May. You can buy 3-day passes in advance, but they always say "Once it's May, the deal goes away." It's a better deal than buying 3 one-day passes. The Beale Street Music Festival actually takes place in Tom Lee Park overlooking the Mississippi River.

One weekend is dedicated to the Barbecue Festival. There is a BBQ cooking contest, and there are tons of groups that enter. You can enter as an amateur or representing a BBQ restaurant as a professional. As far as I know they don't sell the BBQ after the contest is over, but if you know someone who is in the contest, they may invite you to come & join them after the contest is over so you can try some of theirs.

The last weekend of Memphis in May is when they have the Sunset Symphony. I've never been, but I've heard it's really nice.

There are many other activities involved in the Memphis in May International Festival. You can look them up on their website.

I know this sounds goofy but...

by salway

I know this sounds goofy but we like to play miniature golf when we're doing the touristy stuff and there is a really cool place in the Peabody Place Mall downtown (next to the duck hotel). It is completely lit with black lights and painted with day-glo colors. It was wild.

Smokey Club

by myrtle about Rayford's

The music at this club is great, but you may not like the environment very much. I think it used to be a strip club, so there are stripper poles on the stage. They also play this horrible siren sound every now & then that is just annoying. The only drinks they sell there are 40 ounce beers. It's not a very big club, so it can get pretty crowded quickly. I know it was recently shut down temporarily because they were caught selling drugs in there. I never noticed this the few times I was there, but they're back in business now from what I understand. It's very smokey not only from the smokers, but also they have those smoke/fog machines going in there. The music they play is hip-hop, which is my favorite to dance to.

It's not far from Beale Street. Just about anyone on Beale Street ought to be able to tell you how to get there. It's just a bit of a walk through a bad neighborhood. When I took some friends that were from out of town, one of my local friends made the comment about the song "Walking in Memphis." He said, "If you're walking 10 feet off of Beale you're in a bad neighborhood." That's pretty accurate.

Typical Hard Rock Cafe

by recipe_addict about Hard Rock Cafe, Memphis

This was our second stop on Beale Street, and it is your typical Hard Rock Cafe. In my opinion, the food is average but the atmosphere is where it's at. We got there before the dinner rush, so the restaurant was not too busy, although the wait for the food still seemed to take forever. We got to sit upstairs, which was neat. Other than that, not much more to report. Average restaurant, average report. It's something to do, just to say you did it. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I couldn't even tell you what I ordered that particular night. I think I got the hot wings, but they must have been average as well because I don't remember my meal impressing me.

Hard Rock on Beale Street

by Toughluck about Hard Rock Cafe, Memphis

It's a Hard Rock Cafe. Much a alike, with a local Blues theme. Music and TV's all around, easy to find and a place everyone can be comfortable in. Good Question. What did we eat? There were six of us, and we tried a bit of everything. Steak, salad, etc. Everybody was happy with what they choose and there was plenty of selection.

Comments