Americas Best Value Inn/Nashville Airport

Tennessee Bicentennial WalkTennessee Bicentennial Walk

SignageSignage

Tennis, hiking around Nashville

by thesojourner

2 friends and I want to celebrate our 40th birthdays in Nashville, as it's always been somewhere we wanted to visit.

We're really hoping for a decent hotel with tennis courts (or easy access to them) and hiking nearby. Can anyone recommend any hotels in or around Nashville that would fill the bill? We'd be happy to go up into the mountains, if it's not too far away.

Thank you in advance!

RE: Tennis, hiking around Nashville

by susiemargare

hi --

i don't know about places to stay, but i can tell you that you will not find any mtns around nashville. they are only about three to four hours east, near where tennessee meets north carolina.

-- susie margaret

RE: Tennis, hiking around Nashville

by Eeya22

I can't give you any advice on hotels or tennis courts, but I can help out with mountains and hiking. In the Nashville area, there are hiking trails at the Warner parks, Radner Lake, Percy Priest Lake, the Natchez Trace, and the Narrows of Harpeth. Nashville is more in the hills than in the mountains. To see mountains, you will need to drive east. A three to four hour drive down I-40 will take you to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. If you don't want to go that far, you may want to try Fall Creek Falls State park. It's about a 1 1/2 to two hour drive down I-40, near Cookville.

Travel Tips for Nashville

Take A River Cruise

by horsinround2

Blue Heron Cruises in Ashland City provides an inexpensive and relaxing way to spend an afternoon cruising the Cumberland River. This is a family friendly cruise. Lifejackets, snacks, non-alcoholic drinks, and waterguns are provided. No, you do not have to get wet. There are plenty of seats out of firing range. Mostly the kids just have a great time aiming at sticks floating in the river. You can bring your own food or drinks and alcohol is allowed (just not provided). There is a restaurant at the dock that provides typical American fare for reasonable prices. My sister and I each had a grilled cheese sandwich w/fries and a soda for a whopping total of just under $10. The boat seats 24 and there is a small restroom on board. Ashland City is approximately 20 minutes northwest of Nashville on Hwy 12.

Call for reservations several days in advance. Odds are you'll have to leave a message and Captain Jim will call you back.

**Due to the flooding over the weekend of May 1st & 2nd, 2010, the river is currently closed to pleasure cruises. There is still too much debris and the water is still too high for navigation to be safe. Captain Jim's boat is just fine and he will resume river cruises just as soon as officials allow it. Hopefully, this closure will be a very short one!

Well I really only went to one...

by schmoopy

Well I really only went to one place in Nashville (I was only there for one night) and it was the Wildhorse Saloon.
The Wildhorse is a HUGE dance club that plays mostly live country music. Modern and open, it is a mecca for tourists who know of the place because of Club Dance (a show that I really do not wish to elaborate on). Anyhooooo, they will play dance music if you stay long enough. Patience is truly a virtue. Typical bar wear.

Great Food in a wonderful atmoshere

by gkitzmil about Bound'ry

A broad restaurant (tapas menu) with a range from good seafood to wonderful small pizzas and pastas. The mushroom pizza with brie is one of the best pizzas I've ever eaten!

It combines several mushrooms with brie on a wood oven grilled crust.

Great beer and wine selection

An Hour Wait for Heavenly Pancakes!

by TravellerMel about Pancake Pantry

Billed as a Nashville Tradition, the Pancake Pantry has been on my "Nashville Bucket List" since I moved here in 2008. It's in the Hillsboro Village neighborhood, which is not close to me so by the time I think about it, I've already had breakfast. Every time I've passed by, there was a line to get in, which is usually a good sign. We finally went last weekend - the line wrapped around the corner. We timed it - just over an hour to get seated. But once we were seated, I could understand the appeal. The staff is very busy, but friendly, and ready with a suggestion if you ask.

Because of the location and proximity to Music Row, I've read about many celebrity sightings here, although I recognized no one during my visit (it was 11am on a Saturday, so I couldn't blame them...). It was very enjoyable, even with the long wait. I was torn between the chocolate chip pancakes and the sugar & spice pancakes, finally opting for the latter. Oh. My. Goodness. They were wonderful! The cinnamon syrup was wonderful on top and the applesauce made for a nice switch-up. It was delicious! You get five pancakes (I managed to finish three...) I will definitely go back!

Tootsies Orchid Lounge

by ccnanny

Actually this place is little more than a hole in the wall. I enjoyed stopping in with friends, having a beer, and seeing the place that so many country stars got their start. If you're interested in country music, then you should stop in at Tootsies.

Comments