911 Airport Center Drive, Nashville, Tennessee, 37214, United States

More about Nashville

downtown franklindowntown franklin

Me & Shmoopy at LP FieldMe & Shmoopy at LP Field

Carillon on Tennessee Bicentennial WalkCarillon on Tennessee Bicentennial Walk

Indoor pool complexIndoor pool complex

No Car= Bad Life In Nashville?

by starttoday

I'm considering moving to Nashville from Portland, Oregon. In Portland, you can get along just fine without a car; the public transportation system is very good. My car is older and may not be reliable for a cross-country trip. If I sell the car before leaving, and fly out to Nashville, would it be reasonable to expect to rely on public transit in Nashville? Or will I definitely need a car in that city?

by vhasouth

Nashville does have a bus system, but I'm not familiar with how well it operates. So many people live in the suburbs that having a car for them is a necessity. Have you been to Nashville. Do you know what area you'd be relocating to??? Worse case scenario, if you have the cash...sell your car if its unreliable, fly to Nashville and pick up a good used car.

by susiemargare

hi --

i agree with vhasouth about selling your car and then getting one here.

for all the errand-running required to settle into a place, i think the bus system would probably be too unwieldy. have you already narrowed down an area where you want to live? riding all of the different buses might give you a good tour of the different areas of nashville.

i just found a website for the metro bus system -- http://www.nashvillemta.org/setpage.asp?page=homepage.html

see if it helps give you an idea of where and how often the buses travel between different areas.

good luck!

-- susie margaret

RE: RE: No Car= Bad Life In Nashville?

by ForestqueenNYC

I am always looking for a new place to move. I am just curious as to why you would choose Nashville.

by lgh

Hi Steve,

I'd recommend that you buy a car if you would like to stay in Nashville. During my first few months there I tried to get by using public transportation, it turned out to be quite a nightmare given the limited bus routes. Most of the apartments are not within walking distance to the grocery stores. Overall, Nashville is still a nice town to live in.

Travel Tips for Nashville

LP Field - Home of the Titans and CMA Music Fest!

by TravellerMel

LP Field is home to the Tennessee Titans NFL team, Tennesee State (University) Tigers football, and the CMA Country Music Festival evening concerts. The stadium is HUGE, holding almost 70,000 fans at capacity. Lots of food, beverage, & souvenier vendor stands - although not cheap. I guess average for stadium food though - $4 for a hot dog, $9 for chicken tenders & fries, $6 for a medium cola, $8 for beer...

At last night's Titans vs. Saints pre-season game, our seats were in Section 330, row AA. Although very high up, we had an unobstructed view of the field - it was GREAT!

A bonus is LP Field is directly across the Cumberland River from Downtown Nashville, so the upper part of the stadium offers incredibly beautiful views of the city.

3rd &Lindsley: Hard to Find- But Worth the Search

by TravellerMel about 3rd and Lindsley Bar & Grill

Excellent place for live music. Smallish venue (maybe seats 150 at small tables & bar). The sound was great, and the venue is smoke-free, which works for me. Calendar list in on their website, and the music is eclectic.

Italian/Mediterranean Dining

by grishaV1 about Valentino´s and ZOLA´s

Italian/Mediterranean Restaurants. Pasta is a favorite of mine, though my partner is allergic to seafood, we usually have to go to at least one Italian/Mediterranean place wherever we travel.

Valentino´s Ristorante at 1907 West End is extremely popular and recommended by most guides to Nashville, 615-327-0148. It has many awards for service and menu, and what´s most important, an Italian friend who lives in Tennessee said its one of the closest places to get really Italian food in the area. Venetian to Milanese, seafood fettucine, veal saltimbocca, pastas of all kinds with authentic sauces and wines, and much more, see www.valentinosnashville.com

ZOLA´S is also much awarded restaurant started by Debra Paquette, she´s been on "Great Chefs" television series. Its a really good show, and I noticed it still comes on Discovery Channel in the USA in the late afternoons. Her dishes combines French, Italian and Spanish influences. But also includes Moroccan and Greek tastes as well. Seafood is a speciality and very fresh, flown in daily. Reservations, they say are suggested but not required. Its popular, and if you really have a special dinner arranged, call ahead to reserve. Its open only for dinner Mon-thurs 5,30pm-10pm or Fri and Sat, 5,30pm-11pm. Expect to pay for what you get, average is around 18,95+ for entreés. Its at the corner of West End Avenue and 29th Avenue South. 615-320-7778. www.restaurantzola.com Pasta Puttanesca is my favorite most any place, I like the combination of black and green oliven and anchovies.

Disappointing

by TravellerMel about Wild Bill's Bikes and Beignets

I really wanted to like this place - I saw "beignets" on the sign, and being a little homesick, I was very excited to find a little "home" in my new hometown. I ordered a small cafe au leit and an order of beignets. I cringed a little at $3.99 for two beignets, but as a treat, I didn't think it was too bad.

I got the coffee first - as I added the sugar, I see there are "things" floating on the top. It looked like the milk had curdled - two sips, and I realized I couldn't drink it.

The beignets were made to order, and arrived lightly dusted with powdered sugar. I know I am spoiled, but at New Orleans Cafe du Monde, there is at least an inch of powder on the top. When I bit into the beignet, it was heavy and tasted of butter. I ate them both, but it did not satisfy the craving I had developed when walking into the cafe. It probably wasn't BAD, just not what I expected from a beignet.

Bottom line - if you've never been to New Orleans, it might taste good. If you have had "real" beignets, you will not like these. I should know better...

Country Music Television (CMT)

by Astrobuck

I'm not a really big fan of country music, but CMT is broadcasted every day from Nashville, and it's headquarters is also here. I drove past it while in Nashville, but I didn't stop. Tours of the studios may be available. Contact the website below for further information.

Comments