Howard Johnson Nashville West

Tennessee Bicentennial WalkTennessee Bicentennial Walk

SignageSignage

Visiting Nashville

by Garth21

Hi, My wife and I will be visting Nashville in mid September for a couple of nights. I have heard about the Johnny Walker tours, has anyone ever booked with this Firm? We will be driving from Hattiesburg Mississippi, does anyone know far it is, and how long it will take? We will be over from Northern Ireland visiting our daughter who is at College in Hattiesburg, and although we been to the States a few time times, this trip will be new to us. any info would be great. Cheers!

by travelmad478

Use www.mapquest.com to figure driving distances and estimated time.

I have a page on Nashville that you might find useful. I don't know about the Johnny Walker tours, I'm afraid. Have a great trip!

RE: RE: Visiting Nashville

by ocicat

Do you want the scenic route or the fast route. You could take the interstate to Birmingham, AL and then up to Nashville which would be one long day. Or you could take the Natchez Trace which would be 1.5 to 2 days, depending on how relaxed you drive.

by susiemargare

hi --

in the probably unlikely chance that you have gotten the name wrong, there ARE tours of the jack daniels distillery (johnnie walker is a scotch, jack daniels is a bourbon). it is in lynchburg, tennessee, but i have never been there and so have no good idea how close it is to nashville.

-- susie margaret

by Juliettte

I would highly recommend Johnny Walker Tours, the main contact Caroline is WONDERFUL, and very very helpful. My friends and I booked with them for our Fan Fair package this year, and while our hotel left a lot to be desired, Caroline bent over backwards to help us, and we wouldn't hesitate to use the company again. Oh, and a word of advice, avoid the Comfort Inn Music City at all costs, it's NASTY and traffic is horrendous in that area.

Any questions, just email me at jdawson21@cogeco.ca

Jules

RE: RE: Visiting Nashville

by Juliettte

Susie, I did a google search, and the name IS correct, the owner is coincidentally named Johnny Walker, lol.

Jules

johnny walker and jack daniels

by susiemargare

hi --

weird!

-- susie margaret

Travel Tips for Nashville

The Hermitage

by Rabbityama

The Hermitage is the home of America's seventh president, Andrew Jackson. The mansion that exists there today has remained the same since 1836. The original French wallpaper, chosen by Andrew Jackson, is still on the walls and in good condition. In order to enter the mansion, you must have a guided tour. No one is permitted to roam freely in the mansion. Outside however, in all of the other buildings, you may go inside and explore without a guide. Each building has information about it to read, if you want to learn the historical significance of the building and what it was used for. In the garden, you'll find Andrew Jackson's actual grave. He is buried beside his wife. The hermitage is a great historical trip for anyone interested in American history.

(for information on prices, guides, etc. please visit the website I've listed below)

Great Atmosphere

by ahouse2003 about Aquarium

This restaurant was amazing and is appropriate for all ages. There is a huge aquarium in the middle of the restaurant that is home to hundreds of saltwater fish including black-tipped sharks, stingrays, grouper and eels. I had the fried shrimp, which is my favorite seafood, but there were many great choices. There was also a kid's menu.

Barbecue--a must eat

by travelmad478 about Hog Heaven

I got a lot of suggestions on where to go for barbecue. We ended up at Hog Heaven, a takeout place right next to Centennial Park. Grab a platter of ribs, pick your side dishes, and take your picnic right over to the park lawn, where you can eat your meal in the shadow of the Parthenon.

Avoid at all Cost!

by TravellerMel about Panda House

Very close to my office, we actually started to go to Subway but the smell of Chinese food was enticing, so my companion and I walked next door to Panda House.

One of your standard fast-food Chinese restaurants - you order at the desk, then sit down and they bring the food to you, and the menu on the wall is only photos. They have a lunch special on the printed menu at the counter.

We ordered, and had a seat to wait for the food. It came quickly enough, and was average tasting - not GREAT, not BAD. We were discussing our soon-to-be cancelled trip to Egypt, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw something moving. I put on my glasses and stifled a scream, as a COCKROACH was walking toward me on the wall.

Now, I am the first to admit I have an abnormal aversion to and fear of roaches. In my mind, it walked toward me, stopped and looked me in the eye, thought about it, and continued walking. My companion saw it, and monitored it as it walked away. A few minutes later, her eyes widened and she informed me it was coming back. Again, it looked me in the eye, and this time decided to approach. It started down the wall and as soon as its little legs hit the table, we scrambled to pick up food/purses/coats and move to another table.

At this point the waitress asked if everything was OK. My companion pointed out the roach, and the waitress went over to the table and with the rag SHE HAD JUST BEEN CLEANING WITH, she squished the roach.

In shock, we decided we had had enough, and left. On the way out, we saw the state inspection record...

Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum

by travelmad478

If you have even the slightest interest in country music, take a spin through this museum for an excellent look at how this genre developed. There are plenty of interactive exhibits, explorations of the evolution of various musical styles, and artifacts from the hundred-year history of country. The place is enormous, and you can be excused for getting a little exhausted toward the end, but it's still worth a visit. The gift shop alone, which maintains a superb and vast CD collection, is worth a visit in itself.

Comments