La Quinta Inn And Suites Nashville Airport

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

More about Nashville

MarqueeMarquee

sgt. alvin york statuesgt. alvin york statue

President Andrew Johnson StatuePresident Andrew Johnson Statue

Ghost Ballet, Nashville, TNGhost Ballet, Nashville, TN

Help & Advice Needed For Oz Visitor To Nashville

by gpeden

Greetings, waves and salutations.

I have a simple enough request: I want to obtain info (sights, hotels and the like) for Nashville. We are planning on visiting in a year (from today), so I'm starting to dig for information.

Ideally, I'd like to talk with someone, either a resident or traveller, who knows the place.

As a ps -- I'm a big country music fan (Hmmmmm thought you'd need to know that).

Best regards, looking forward to a response.

by Agraichen

I'm certain you'll get info from locals that is more up to date, but 16th Avenue is one of the locations the hopefuls used to hang. An old aquaintance had a song about it and she did, ok.

by dwm10251

Country music is big about a mile from me here in Austin. Can't help you with Nashville.

by TravellerMel

If you like country music, you MUST come to the Grand Ole Opry - if you visit during the winter, it is held at the Ryman Auditorium. The rest of the year it is at the Grand Ole Opry House in Music Valley. Either way you won't be disappointed. I moved here last year and am still exploring myself, but am happy to answer any specific questions, if I can. :-)

by gpeden

Hiddy ho!

Thank you for your response. Your comments and time are both appreciated. If you don't mind, I'll keep you close, as I have several items I'd be keen to find out about.

Best regards for now,

George
(Melbourne, Australia).

by TravellerMel

George, it would be my pleasure. And feel free to check out my Nashville page, as I update if fairly frequently.

by SONG

George, I lived in Nashville for many years before moving to Florida. In fact,
my SONG name reflects Music City USA since Nashville is where I lived when I joined VT. I know the city fairly well, so I might be able to answer some of your questions. Feel free to email me or respond in here with your questions.
Kathy in Sunny Florida/SONG

George,

Another thing to think about - I had a blast on the NashTrash tour (I wrote a review on my Nashville page). If you decide to take that tour, book early (like, a month or more in advance) because it is a very popular tour and sells out frequently. Other city tours (Greyline has several) don't usually sell out, but do require reservations.

by Melvin_Francisco

You are going to have a great time visiting Nashville. There is so much to do and see. There are some great websites that have a ton of information. I would search for some of these on the net.

by ocicat

The landscape of Nashville has changed this month. By Sept '10 the Opryland Hotel will still be closed from the damage of the flood this month. Haven't heard a time line on the Grand Ole Opry theater, it's being held at another venue at this time.

The tourist things on 2nd Avenue were damaged also and are projected to be open in coming months.

Travel Tips for Nashville

Nashville is a vibrant,...

by Don_Wright

Nashville is a vibrant, beautiful city! It has a great downtown area, situated on the Cumberland River, and the beautiful surrounding countryside!

It has a special quality of a marvelously balanced blend of tradition, and cutting edge. Of it's beatifully well preserved history, and modern. Of old fashioned, and cosmopolitan! And the old, and the new, have taken to each other, right well!

And, Nashville is called 'Music City USA', and rightfully so! It is the heart and soul, of country music, and the music business! When I was a young boy, a family trip to Nashville, with my parents and little brother, around 1969! A beautiful spring day in April, on Easter weekend, my dad parked the car in the lot next to the Ryman Auditorium and walked up to the box office to buy tickets for us, for that night's Grand Ole Opry Show. Well my brother and I, never went on a trip, without our baseball gloves and a baseball, to play catch at every opportunity! So we jumped out of the car, and began to throw the ball to each other in the parking lot! Two gentleman came up to me, and said, 'hi son, do you mind if we play catch with you, too?'. I said 'sure'! Oh then my dad came back, as the gentleman left! My dad looked at them, and said, 'do you know, that was George Jones, and Porter Wagoner'! And he was right, because he showed me their photos that night, in the Opry program!

Art on a Budget

by TravellerMel about Art-o-Mat at TPAC

Art-o-mat machines are retired cigarette vending machines that have been converted to vend art. There are over 90 active machines in various locations throughout the country, including this one at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in Nashville. The selections of art vary (jewelry, paintings, very tiny quilts, books, etc) as do the artists, and they change periodically, so you can check back often and get something completely new. The cost is only $5 per piece - I have made it a tradition to buy something every time I attend a play at TPAC.

Above the pull is a "teaser", but you will not know what your actual work of art is until you pull the knob. It's a fun - and cheap - way to start a funky art collection! Each piece of art is only $5.

Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!

by mightywease about The Drunken Fish

You could be forgiven for mistaking this long, narrow, brick-walled restaurant as a cocktail bar and, indeed, they do serve a martini and oyster special on some nights. The ambience is relaxed and the lighting duskliy intimate. Wooden tables line the walls and the small balcony at the back. Perched on high stools at a round table by the front window of the restaurant we had a great view of the line-dancing at the Wildhorse Saloon across the road!
The service was friendly, informative and efficient and, most importantly, the food was good quality and very tasty. Perhaps a little more expensive than average but good value for money. I'd recommend a visit. We had
Crab Cakes
(cooked in white wine, lemon juice and garlic), Jasmine Rice and Vegetables
Blackcurrant Cobbler and Ice Cream
(Very nice and filling)
Amaretto Pie
(a light mousse with a crumbly base)
2 Beers

Total cost for 2 people (including tip) $72.00

Pancake Pantry

by Krumlovgirl

Ahhh...the Pancake Pantry. Definitely a Nashville institution, the Pantry has been around forever. I remember back when it was just a little hole in the wall that seated about 50 people and the line ran around the building. Now that they have expanded and renovated, the line STILL runs around the building. But oh well. The prices are amazingly good and the service quick. It's also a loud, noisy place that seems to always be busy. I have many favorite dishes at the Pantry. I love the crepes, pancakes stuffed with chocolate chips. I also like the Carribean Pancakes-stuffed with bananas and walnuts and topped with coconuts. The strawberry waffles are good, as are the apple n spice pancakes which come with warm applesauce and apple slices. You really can't go wrong. My mom likes the omlettes, making her the oddball.

Opryland hotel - hard to believe it's a hotel

by ccnanny

I thoroughly enjoyed walking around the hotel. With it's "river" and waterfalls, shops and eateries it's hard to believe it's a hotel. You can spend a quite a few hours just walking around taking in all the sights.

Comments