4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

2100 West End Ave, Nashville, Tennessee, 37203, United States

Loews Vanderbilt Hotel Nashville
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Rated 10% higher but also costs 79% more than other 4.5 star hotels

• Not even a three star hotel

Loews Vanderbilt Hotel
    2100 West End Avenue
    Nashville TN 37203
    (615) 320-1700

Hotel Room Review:
    This review is for a stay that took place in the month of January 2010.
    It was for a weekend stay, and the rates posted from Loews own website started at $160.00 per night.
    The hotel is rated 4 1/2 stars.
    We arrived… at the hotels entrance a valet gave us our receipt for the car.
    The lobby of the hotel is nice enough with granite and high ceilings, and a hint of class as there is a large white winding staircase (to the left of the check in desk) leading up to a second floor.
    But, First impressions and lobbies of stone do not justify a 4 1/2 star rating!
    As you will see from the images that I have include in this article, the rooms are more or less standard or equal to most other 2 or 3 star rated hotel chains. In some respects this room was inferior to rooms I have had at other hotel chains and at less than half of Loews published rates.

The Room:
    Sized at about 15’x22’, plus the bathroom. It was not in any way special or large.
    The walls were wallpapered with several different colors and the furnishings were decent but again nothing special. The TV was a flat screen style. The comforter on the bed was decent but the sheets were very plain. The rugs were ok.
    There was a coffee maker in the room that you had to pay extra to use. And there were snacks in a drawer that you had to pay a premium to take/eat. There was WiFi available, also for an extra charge. The bottled water would also cost you extra.
    The view was of a parking garage.
    The bathroom was slightly above average in style but smelled slightly of mold and had an extremely poor caulking job around the tub. The shower curtain was constantly falling off as the curtain hooks were all bent out of shape and failing. Shampoos and soaps were average. The bathroom door hinge was rusting away, and there was water damage to the inside of the bath door.

Hallways:
    Narrow and dirty looking… poor lighting!

So…. Why is this hotel rated at 4 1/2 stars???????
    Is it because they charge $26.00 a day to park your car for you?
    Maybe the $9.00 martini lemon drops?
    Could it be they get 4 1/2 stars for location?
    When I called hotwire and expressed my disappointment, the response from the Hotwire was something to the effect of “service that the hotel offered”?
    What service is that?
    When I booked this room I was expecting that a 4 1/2 star hotel would have some class, or luxury, or something special about it. Maybe a rooftop pool or jacuzzi? Maybe flowers in the room? Possibly special chocolates on the pillow? Anything that would justify this almost perfect rating?
    This place didn’t even have a pool. Nor a jacuzzi. Not even a Jacuzzi tub!

Loews Vanderbilt in Nashville might have rooms that offer that little bit of extra luxury, but they probably are on the top three floors of the hotel where you need a special key to enter. And the price is most certainly very, very, very special.
    Seriously… I feel like I was legally robbed by this hotel… and Hotwire. Not necessarily just for the cost of staying in an inferior property, but also for the loss of honesty in advertising. Hey, I realize that everything can’t always be perfect. But I expect a 4 1/2 star rated hotel to have more class than this property has had in a long time.
    Loews Nashville is not worth staying at. I will not ever again believe a Loews rating or grade. Nor will I ever stay in another Loews property. They are resting on their laurels and charging much higher prices than other nearby hotel properties because of what they may have used to be.
    $200.00 a night rack rate is absolute theft!
    Seriously Disappointed!

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Lowes Vanderbilt Plaza

I actually expected more out of this hotel than what I got. For it to be an expensive, supposedly top-rated, hotel it really lacked in amenities. Like an indoor pool, for instance. Or even an outdoor pool. I didn't find the rooms to look any different than any hotel I have ever stayed in before and the "souvenirs" that were distributed out through the hotel and available for purchase were a little pointless. It's mostly meant for the parents of Vanderbilt students and therefore its location next to the college campus is good if that's what you're there for. If you want to go downtown you still have to drive and find downtown parking. The big dining option is the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse which is one of the more priceier restaurants in town.

• allenkite's Profile Photo

Loews Vanderbilt Plaza Hotel

Average price is really expensive . . . But don't despair, you can get great deals . . . I have found the conceirge level for only $99 per night before . . . Always check out their specials page . . . Loew's is also on most of the major discount lodging search engines . . . Rates can vary from $200 to $99 per night depending on the dates you pick, so try to be flexable

Unique Quality: My favorite . . . Loews location is perfect for the person who really wants to stay away from all of the craziness of the Opryland area . . . Close to many historic areas including downtown and the new football stadium . . . Close to the Vanderbilt University area . . . I always prefer to stay in these areas if possible . . . Close to many fine restaurants . . . Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is located in the lower level of the hotel . . . If you want a 'resort' this is it in Nashville . . . Great service with a personal touch

• Nomad_2001's Profile Photo

We stayed at Loews Vanderbilt...

We stayed at Loews Vanderbilt Hotel and the Opryland Hotel. While the former is well-suited for business travel (and not especially well-suited) for the traveling family, the latter is well-suited for the traveling family (and not especially well-suited) for business travel. Service is great at the Loews hotel, but be constantly prepared with tip money. In contrast, the Opryland hotel features inexcusably long lines for check-in/check-out and even fairly long lines for guest services. It does have a very nice campus, though, that is well-suited for family travel. In addition, while the book prices are very high, the specials are really quite reasonable. The garden conservatory is really quite impressive and the Cascades pool (outdoor) was very nice.

More about Loews Vanderbilt Hotel Nashvillle

Frequent Business Guest

The Loews Vanderbilt is a great business hotel. While it is not (like Union Station in Nashville or the Palace in San Francisco) a unique hotel experience, it is always dependably excellent. As previous reviewers have noted, the staff at this hotel provide the kind of service to which a Ritz aspires. Superb, superb, superb. We have stayed at hotels around the world, and the Loews Vanderbilt has, on average, the best staff we have ever encountered.

The room decor is predictably nice -- nothing exceptional. The primary structural problem is the lack of sound-dampening quality, and if you end up with some "rowdies" on your floor, you will hear it. However, if you use an AmEx for your reservation, you will be upgraded to the Club Floors (very quiet) which provides a nice two-story English club-type lounge for your use during the day. One does feel a bit gouged on parking, but the other hotels of this caliber in Nashville also have parking fees. Interestingly, go down a single star rating and no one in the same geographic area charges for parking.

I don't know that in all the times I have stayed in this hotel I have seen anyone with children (dogs frequently, but children, never). Perhaps it is the absence of a pool, but this is really a business-oriented hotel. The hotel's proximity to Vanderbilt and Peabody is unmatched, and provide a beautiful park-like walking environment in the morning and evening. The hotel is also within (barely) walking distance of Centenial Park, which is also very nice. Numerous restaurants around the hotel, running the gamut from Jack-in-the-Box to Ruth's Chris. Proximity to Hillsboro Village provides access to great ethnic food (good Indian restaurant immediately adjacent to hotel).

Having stayed at virtually every four star hotel in or proximate to downtown Nashville during the past year (about once a month), this is the hotel to which I consistently return.

Nice Experience...But

Just spent three days at this hotel. Great staff, very clean, great location. But they charge for everything. 15.00 for parking, PARKING! I rated this hotel above average simply because We got our room for over half price off what their web site advertises. Had we paid the posted rate I would rate this hotel Terrible. But with all thing being fair, you get what you pay for. The room service food was excellent as was their hotel restaraunt. of course it is overpriced, but you have very excellent eating choice within 3 blocks of the hotel. The lobby bar had a nice atmosphere with a great piano player and attentive and well trained bartenders. The room was nicely appointed but suprisingly was not very soundproof. All in all, I recommend this hotel if your looking for a nice little get away and have plenty of extra cash to spend.

Really BAD!

by TripAdvisor Member CCBob

I was there with a business group. When reserving I requested a non-smoking room but when I checked in there were none available. I know this happens and while I was not happy I am an experienced traveller. This room smelled like there was someone actually sitting in the room smoking at all times, except the middle of the night, that acrid, fresh smoke smell. At one point I went to the bar because it was LESS smokey. I asked to be moved and was told there was nothing else available. No alternative was offered the 2nd night either. Hotels always have empty rooms. They were mildly apologetic but really brushed me off. The shower did not work and they did not care about that either!
Room was dirty, smelly and the worst hotel experience of my life.

Really Enjoyed It

I went there for a lawyer convention and the hotel was nice. The workout room had decent cario machines, but the weight training machines were not too upscale. Room service food was SUPERB= fried catfish, fries, and cheesecake - YUMMY YUMMY! It was perfect after a long day of classes.

Good choice in Nashville

We just spent one night at the Loew's in Nashville while visiting Vanderbilt University with our daughter. It's just across the street from the university (about a mile or so from downtown Nashville) so it's a perfect location for a college visit. The room, with very cotton-y duvets, was fine. Our only complaint, and the reason for writing this review, is the price of food at their breakfast restaurant (called EAT, on the lobby level) is outrageous for what you get. We paid $44 for a basic breakfast (and not a particularly good one) for 3! Maybe I'm out of touch but that seems to be a ripoff! We did eat at the steak house in the hotel and while not inexpensive, had great food.

Lots of class & pet friendly, too

by TripAdvisor Member rcmann

I stayed at the Lowes Vanderbilt in July '05 for a conference. The entire facility was extremely clean and well-kept. Our room was spacious, with one of the more comfortable hotel beds I've slept in. I was initially concerned that a pet friendly hotel might mean carpet stains, but there was no evidence of past puppy guests to be found. The staff was friendly and helpful and the price reasonable. My only complaint is that there are items for purchase in the guest rooms, including a display of CDs and hats and a sweatshirt in the closet. I didn't like feeling like the room was some type of gift shop annex.

BRUNCH Buffet

by Catpurring

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go for a Sunday Brunch Buffet?

Re: BRUNCH Buffet

by lmkluque

Sorry, I don't know specifically about Nashville, but it is my experience that most nicer hotels offer a lovely Sunday brunch buffet. You might take a look at the ones there.

Re: BRUNCH Buffet

by horsinround2

I live here. Honestly, I can't think of any buffets other than those at hotels. The Loews Vanderbilt hotel is supposed to have a good one. This being the south, regular portions at a regular restaurant are huge so there really isn't a need for a buffet. My favorite breakfast places (in order) are: The Loveless Cafe, The Pancake Pantry, and Cracker Barrel. I've written tips on the first two in addition to responding in more detail about them in other questions about breakfast in the Nashville forum.

Comments