The Hermitage Hotel

Costs 78% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Hermitage Hotel

Hermitage Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Showmeit

My husband and I were attending a Merrill Lynch function in Nashville on the weekend of April 15th and 16th. We arrive at the Hermitage Hotel around 4:00 Friday afternoon and were greeted at the curb by Frederick from the hotel. By the time that we made it to the registration desk they already knew who we were and greeted us with smiling faces. James the bellman brought up our luggage and explained everything about the room, including the complimentary shoe shine. We were taken by shuttle to the Wildhorse Salloon for a evening of dining and dancing. We husband even got up on stage with the Nashville Star announcers and sang a verse and chorus of a Alabama song. After a wonderful evening we retired back to our rooms for such another great surprise. The bed turn down was especially great. Not only did they have everything put up for us they even brought bedside cookies and bottled water for the evening. I have to say that the linens were fabulous. I have no idea what thread count they were but it was the most wonderful feeling a person can have. The next morning we showered in the grand bathroom. It was marble tile from floor to ceiling with a seperate shower, toilet and tub. Most impressive tub I had ever seen. Believe me I did have to soak in that tub before our departure. We had brunch in the Veranda of the hotel. The food was excellent. We walked our brunch off by going downtown and looking in some great souvineer shops. We also went to the famous Tooties and also the Legends on the corner of Broadway. The entertainment at both places was fantastic. We left there to go back to the hotel to prepare for our black tie evening and of course Frederick was there waiting to greet us. We were greeted by black limos and were taken to the Parthanon for dinner. We arrived and were greeted by greek maidens and red carpet. The entire evening was most memorable and a special thank you to all staff at the Parthanon. This was one of the best experiences we have ever had. A first class trip all the way. Do all that you can do while in Nashville, you will not be disappointed with any attraction there.

Historic Hotels - Lobby of the Hermitage Hotel

by TravellerMel

Historic Nashville hotel, opened in 1910, and has been the favorite hotel for celebrities, politicians, sports heroes, gangsters, and locals alike. The hotel lobby is beautiful, and absolutely worth a peek inside if you are in the area. The sunny verandah would be lovely for a wedding...

Just past the check-in desk, beside the staircase, is a wonderful display of memorabilia of the history of this hotel. Definitely check it out!

What a Great Hotel!

My Husband and I had never been to Nashville and had wanted to go for years. We decided to make it a vacation to remember and stay at the Hermitage Hotel and we are so glad that we did. The hotel was beautiful, the rooms were amazing, and the staff went above and beyond to make our vacation one to remember. We will definitely recommend this to our family for future vacations to Nashville!

A Grand Hotel & top-notch service for a great price

by TripAdvisor Member kak531

We followed the recommendations on trip adviser, and they were correct. The Hermitage Hotel’s staff is all about welcoming you – all the time. The doorman/bellman escorted us from the hotel door to our room walking us thru the check-in process and ensuring everything was top-notch. The room was decorated very nicely; the bath was especially impressive for a hotel – well done marble floor/counters, full-size tub, separate glass shower, and separate toilet room. The hotel lobby was also very impressive with ornate decorations and trim. There is a daily snack/drink hour; and a turndown service (just leave the cookies - I can flip a sheet). We only did breakfast in the restaurant, but it was very good – and thankfully included in the hotel price as part of a $179 Two-for-breakfast deal. The hotel’s location is a little removed from the downtown club scene, but it’s still walk-able, and on the weekends it’s clearly a popular bridal reception location, which brings in a bit more traffic and people watching. The only minor imperfections were: AC system in the room was a bit noisy, and too bad it didn’t have a pool - would have made it the perfect hotel. We paid $179/night over the memorial day weekend, which after all taxes and valet’s comes out closer to $240, but it was worth every penny and felt like we could have paid twice that.

Great hotel and more...

We spent two nights at the Hermitage Hotel the weekend of April 8th 2005.

The service was top-notch from the time we arrived to the time we left.

The lobby is just beautiful and the staff extremely friendly and efficient.

Our room was upgraded to a nice suite overlooking the Capitol. The room was quiet, beautifully decorated, super clean and the bathroom wonderful. Dual sinks and glass doors on the separate shower, marble tile everywhere. Bathtub (soaking tub) looked sparkling and brand new. Their bath products (Molton Brown-London) are really good. I took about four baths during the stay (loved the ice cold bottled water given to us at bath time).

The shower was beautiful too and good water pressure. Toilet located in a separate room with a door. Fluffy comfy luxe bathrobes and towels and lighted make-up mirror.

We have stayed at numerous 5 star hotels (love grand hotels) and this was one of the best.

The bed was ultra comfortable and the sheets really nice.

The fitness center is well-equipped and super clean. We enjoyed the cold bottled water and fruit set outside the fitness center.

Cookies are served by the concierge station (don’t miss them!) in the late afternoon. Coffee service is served in the same location in the morning (they don’t tell you about the cookies or the coffee at check in). If you jog in the morning they have towels and bottled cold water at the hotel entrance.

Turndown service was timely—brought us cookies, new bath supplies, ice, slippers, bags, and fresh towels.

Add extra time when getting your car from the valet.

Vickie Hudson at the concierge desk was fabulous. She got us great tickets to the Grand Ole Opry (Joe Nichols, Vince Gill, Craig Morgan and Loretta Lynn…ok to go right up to the stage and take pictures-bring camera) and gave us directions and info on what to do. We’ve been to Nashville a few times before but it’s always good to check out the staff and concierge for ideas.

We had good bbq at Jack’s (about 3 x), pralines were good at Leon’s, enjoyed the Country Music Hall of Fame (cameras need to be checked in there), clubs at Printer’s Alley and Broadway, avoid the Wildhorse.

For a great breakfast ask Vickie for directions to the Loveless Café, beautiful drive to the restaurant, great food and nice scenery. Try to stop there, yummy!

The only food we paid for at the hotel was popcorn from room service and it was hot and delicious (and buttery).

Room $229 Valet $18

Great Time

My husband & I visited Nashville the weekend of Dec 3 - 5th for a weekend getaway. We originally had plans to stay at Opryland, but decided to cancel those reservations and stay downtown at the Hermitage, for the same price. First of all, the hotel is simply beautiful inside. We flew in early on Fri AM and got to the hotel around 9 am. We had to wait about 30 mins for them to clean a room, which I didn't find to a big deal. We had a standard room with a king bed, which was very comfortable. The bathroom was awesome, as were the Molton Brown toiletries. We loved that the hotel was close enough to walk down to Broadway, as well as 2nd Ave and Printer's Alley. We spent the day Fri exploring downtown and taking a tour of the Ryman. We returned to the hotel in the afternoon, and I called the conceirge desk for Vickie to come pull me a bath. I had a choice between a couple of different aromatherpy scents (I chose lavendar). When Vickie was done, the lights in the bath were dimmed, there were tons of bubbles and rose petals, not to mention bottled water and a couple of apples. With the exception to breakfast on Sat morning, we didn't dine at the hotel (but wish we had done so). Breakfast was wonderful, but pricey (~$50 for two of us - Sunday AM we walked down to the Renaissance which had a breakfast buffett). Overall, we throughly enjoyed our stay. We found the service to be attentive; we received a couple of calls from the front desk making sure everything was okay, which is was. We did venture over to the Opryland Hotel on Sat evening since we were going to Opry that night. The Opryland Hotel is something to see, but I'm very glad we didn't stay there - it's so big and so much going on, not to mention the crowds of people. My husband sized it up well when he said it was a "Disney World for Sr. Citizens." We'll definitely go back again - we didn't get to see/do everything in Nashville that we'd like to have, and we'll be staying at the Hermitage!

Perfect Wintertime Anniversay Location

by TripAdvisor Member Moost

My only problem with the hotel was that I could not spend more time enjoying the service and ammenities. My wife and I spent our anniversay there to get away from the child and enjoy a night out at the ballet. This hotel is very, very convenient to the TN Performing Arts Center. Because of the show we could not just sit down and just soak in our surroundings as much as I would have liked. The bathroom has to be seen to be believed. The room is large, but not too large to leave you feelign confortable. The bell service ir beyond reproach. Room service even for something as simple as a bedtime bowl of ice cream was prompt and cordial. Valet parking was awkward due to the front doors location right on the street, but the valets and doormen were quick with assistance.

The Oak Bar and the Capital Grill were exemplary. The Grill is without doubt the finest and least known restaurant in Nashville. It is far more than an "expense account" restaurant. The experienced waiters will be glad to assist you if you have a time restraint such as a show to attend. Very relaxed, very romantic atmosphere. The Oak Bar has the greatest assortment of fine bourbons I have ever seen in one bar.

I went in with the thoughts of this hotel being similar to the Pfister in Milwaukee or the Peabody in Memphis. But this hotel and its staff far outshines the other "historic" hotels I have stayed at. I will be glad to go here next anniversary and enjoy everything this hotel does and not other hotel in Nashville can even dream of.

Overwhelmed by incredible service

We made a visit to The Hermitage on Saturday, March 19. We are not important people by any measure, but they make you feel like royalty here. After we pulled up in our 2000 Jeep Cherokee, and after telling the bellman our name, he said, "Welcome to The Hermitage."

As we entered the door, a hotel employee said, "Welcome to The Hermitage, Mr and Mrs __________." This person knew our name, I believe, because it had been radioed ahead via the headset he was wearing from the bellman.

Needless to say, we were starting to feel like we were welcome at The Hermitage! My wife and I looked at each other in disbelief as we walked up the stairs into the glorious, spectacular lobby of this hotel that has been painstakingly and meticulously renovated.

Need I say that the front desk person also knew our name and extended a warm welcome.

Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the bellman who brought our luggage to our room, but he -- also -- welcomed us by name and he gave us a thorough briefing on the hotel, our hotel room, etc., got ice for us, and told us to call if we needed anything.

The welcome we received was truly overwhelming to us and meant a lot. As I said, we are not important people. I can only imagine if we were important people!

After our bellman left, we looked around the room. I'm a hotel junkie and enjoy sizing up how different properties do their rooms. This hotel is done as beautifully as any hotel I have stayed at in the world. I have stayed in many five star and five diamond hotels and this ranks with any of them. The service is equalled by only one hotel that I have ever stayed at.

There was an assortment of fresh fruit and a bottle of Panna water on the table for us.

On the desk, there was a note welcoming us back to the hotel. Under the note was hotel stationery with MY name on it! Wow, what a nice touch. Never seen that before.

As I said, this hotel has been beautifully restored. The rooms are really more like suites, with huge bathrooms -- all marble -- with great amenities. My wife loves the soaps and shampoos. I do not recall the name of them but I do remember buying her some for Christmas at Neiman-Marcus. As one would expect, there were many other amenities in the bathroom -- sewing kit, make-up pads, Q tips, cotton balls, shoe mit...the whole nine yards. The bedding is superior, with everything you would expect from a hotel of this stature.

As we relaxed and watched a little of the NCAA basketball tournament, the turndown service came by. They said they wouldn't bother us and wouldn't take long, but I told them to take their time. They were extremely nice. They took up the bedspread and very neatly put the robes on the bed. They put little mats on the floor by each side of the bed and upon these put slippers. As they left, they gave us some delicious cookies (which we devoured before they even left the room) and a card with weather for the next day.

The next day I was feeling a little queasy as I went down for the Sunday brunch -- no fault of the hotel. Bad timing on my part, because it looked delicious. I had to excuse myself and return to the room. My wife normally would accompany me to look after me, but she said, "I'll be up there in a bit," as she continued to enjoy the great food. I couldn't blame her! Capital Grille has long been one of the best restaurants in Nashville, a very good restaurant town. But it is now better than it has ever been. Kim got me some soda water before I went to the room, to try to help my queasy stomach. The manager of Capital Grille offered to send up something to eat via room service, which I had to refuse. Needless to say, everyone who came by the table knew our name. Service there was professional and reminded me of a great restaurant in Atlanta known for its service: The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead.

Checkout was smooth and seamless. Our car was waiting for us. Inside, there were two bottles of water for us to drink on our ride home. Finally, the manager of the restaurant, knowing I was sick, had waiting for us in our car a mini cooler with the hotel logo on it. Inside was some soda water, some crackers and some fruit. A note from the Capital Grille manager was inside, hoping that the contents of this cooler would help me get well.

That did it. At that point, I didn't know what to think. We have stayed at Halekulani, Lodge at Koele, Four Seasons Maui, Four Seasons Milan, Ritz-Carltons in Cancun, Santiago (Chile) and Atlanta. Ritz-Carlton Chicago. Charleston Place. Blackberry Farm. Many more. But I have never had personal, thoughtful service like this. We were taken aback by the service. It was overwhelming. In my opinion, this hotel is not only the finest in Tennessee, but it is one of the finest in the world. It has five diamonds from AAA. I believe it will eventually receive five stars from Mobil, as well. It absolutely deserves it.

I had to call the hotel the next day to ask about our stay. I spoke with Janet in sales. I asked, "Do you treat all your guests as well as we were treated?"

She said, "We try to. That is our goal." She mentioned a guest they have who has been there over 30 times. She said that the staff knows he likes Starbucks coffee. He was running very late one morning and they knew he would not be able to get his Starbucks. So they went for him and had a cup waiting for him in his car. Wow. She said it is their goal to get to know their guests, to establish relationships with them. I thanked her again and assured her that we would return.

I wish I could convey via this posting the warm experience we had at The Hermitage. But I think you have to experience it to fully understand it.

Whimsical & Wonderful

I suprised my husband with a weekend getaway to the Hermitage for his birthday last year. We had a fabulous time. We ate dinner at the Capitol Grille, and the service was excellent. I've never had a more attentive waiter than the one we had that night. The food was excellent, as well as the service.
We loved the room, nice king size bed with tons of pillows and wonderfully comfortable down comforters. They also had a down mattress cover underneath the sheets, which added extra comfort. We were offered turn down service each night, and the staff was perfect.
The bathrooms are large and well lit, the room is large and nicely decorated. Each bathroom comes with two sink vanity, large stand up shower, and garden tub.
All in all, a wonderful escape, and by far the best place in Nashville to stay.

The Best...Above the rest...Nashville's finest

What a awesome hotel. From the staff to decor. The restaraunt is wonderful from a brisquit breakfast to exciting dinners. The lobby is outstanding take the time for tea and relax. The rooms are beautiful and so very clean. There is only one hotel in Nashville..."The Hermitage"
Enjoy your stay.