Union Station - A Wyndham Historic Hotel

Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection
Booking.com Expedia.com Autograph Hotels

Costs 155% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Union Station's lack of concern

Union Station Hotel was very beautiful and room was very spacious with a great, comfy bed. The problem we had was our car was valet parked by their staff and during the time it was in their possession it received a dent, and several scratches on the driver side door of a brand new car. They are unwilling to fix or even address the issue. I would not recommend staying here because of their lack of concern.

• ahouse2003's Profile Photo

Beautiful Architecture

I did not stay at Union Station, I just visited and took pictures because I love historic train stations. It is absolutely beautiful.

Unique Quality: This hotel was a train station that was opened in 1900. It has seen the likes of Al Capone and Mae West. The architecture is beautiful and the history fascinating. A must see hotel, or must stay!

• bowler866's Profile Photo

Historic, but Noisy

Beautiful Hotel as far as an old tran station will take you. Keep in mind I just said train station, which means thatt there is a working railway system running right next to your room. Not much sleeping going on there. Also, the rooms circle around the upstairs floors. I was on 2 which was open to the lobby below, where the bar was out in the open. That too was noisy at night.

Unique Quality: Historic building, with plenty of reminders of it's past as a train station.

Directions: Just up the hill from all the Nashvill happenings. Not a bad location in that respect.

More about Union Station - A Wyndham Historic Hotel

Incredible building with a few caveats

by TripAdvisor Member burlyb

Booked through Expedia for a business trip to Nashville.

The building is amazing and almost all of the rooms have been renovated by now. The main floor banquet, bar/restraunt and all areas below lobby level are still under construction. OSHA would have a field day in this place as the renovation is unprotected and features random areas of partially removed carpet (on stair treads!).

Renovated rooms are great. The decorating and features of the rooms are top notch with a marble topped vanity, classic tile, lcd tv and mod linens/fabrics - and the beds are fantastic.

Great location - within walking distance of the tourist areas. No parking whatsoever. Expect to shell out $17/day for valet.

If you any option, stay away from room 713 (and all of the rooms on the railroad side). Some rooms on the 7th floor are within the roof structure and feature tall windows within the dormers, but above 713 lie the airhandling equipment. My room vibrated and was about as quiet as a room in a boxcar (or maybe that was a halucination from the adjacent train tracks.

As earlier reviewers mentioned, the railroad tracks are very active, although thankfully, not all night long. Expect a 6am wakeup as a 4 engine freight train powers up to speed.

More good news arrived as I proceeded to check out. The desk clerk tried to charge me a different rate than what I booked for, but only after overriding the stubborn computer and manually writing the new bill. Then she sprung the whopper and told me that I was smoking in my room and would have to pay a $250 fine. Now, since I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, I offered to split open my chest and let her have a look at my nubile, tar-free lungs. She volleyed back and asked me if I was sure that noone else was smoking in my room - possibly alluding to a hooker or my imaginary friend. She said that "this is what security reported to me" and eventually relented. All this fun stuff allowed me to recreate a scene from "The Fast and the Furious" to catch my flight on time.

So, yeah, to again borrow from an earlier reviewer, the staff is "aloof" (except the valet - who was friendly and helpful). I anticipate that once complete, there will be a staff makeover and rates will be jacked. Just pray for a room not on the tracks.

Beware Construction

by TripAdvisor Member Scarlet46

This is a gorgeous building that is undertaking a major renovation. All the restaurants and shops are closed down. There are workers galore and lots of sheetrock dust. It seems the hotel could let you know that they only have 2 floors open for stays and that the service will be very slow. You have to order an expensive room service breakfast to eat in the morning as there is nothing in the area to go to. The front desk was not very pleasant. Even the elevator was scarred and scratched. The rooms have been redone where we stayed. They looked pretty good except for the stains on the walls and maid service was not so hot. Someone needs to tell them to add an exhaust fan in the bathroom and use scrubable paint or this place will go down hill fast. It is located near downtown Nashville and right off the freeway which was plus though.

Don't believe the renovation story!

by TripAdvisor Member Gsand1956

The renovations are not complete,whole floors do not have carpet.Our room was cold due to single pane glass window. Water sprayed out under the glass shower door because of not having a rubber seal. Hotel is next to several rail lines and trains are very noisy. Sixty-five foot atrium is beautiful but that 's the only thing good about this hotel.Not worth the price yet.

Visit The Building And Stay Somewhere Else

by TripAdvisor Member glrbob

The Good Stuff: Beautiful building, comfortable bed, friendly staff. The Bad: Unable to sleep for the 3 nights I was there due to the multiple train tracks just next to the hotel. It was EXHAUSTING. I was there with a group of staff and we were all walking around like a bunch of zombies from lack of sleep. They are also in the middle of renovations. Unless you can sleep through train horns, rumbling train tracks and saws and hammers...Stay somewhere else and visit the beautiful, historic building on a day trip.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member timmyc328

This hotel is beautiful. Albiet the renovations are not complete. I did not find this to be a hinderance to my stay. THe hotel staff is extremely hospitable. The room was wonderful, the views are not that great, but do to the location it is not a hotel that offers great views of the city. OUr room was on the traintrack side of the building. I did not once wake up due to the sounds of trains. Knowing the histry of the hotel, you should expect it to be in very close proximity to train tracks.

The rooms have been renovated, and are clean, and very very well decorated. I was impressed by the huge plasma televsion and dream like bed. The valet was also very helpful, I am a smoker and the entire hotel is non-smoking, so i spent alot of time on the veranda with the valet. Overall, I highly recomend this hotel to anyone staying in Nashville.

Comments