Grand Resort Hotel & Convention Center Pigeon Forge

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data
  • TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Budget Friendly Lodging at Older Hotel

After a bumpy beginning, we enjoyed our stay at the Grand Resort Hotel and Convention Center.

Hubby and I were looking for an inexpensive place to stay for a holiday weekend of hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We found the Grand Resort Hotel and Convention Center on a discount website, and for the price we thought "great!!".

We arrived around 8 pm, and it took nearly 30 minutes to get checked in - not sure why, since there were three desk clerks and we were the next person in line... While waiting, a man approached the desk to return his keys, saying there was already someone in the room...

We finally got checked in and rode the elevator to the 4th floor. As we studied the signs to see where to next, the lady who checked us in asked if we were looking for room ****. We said we were, and she replied there was already someone in that room, but if we would follow her, she would show us to our room. We followed her down the outside hallway - where the hall lights were all out - and she let us into our room.

The room was fine - clean, if a little dated. We couldn't specify room type when we booked, but we were still disappointed to find two full size beds, instead of queens. When I was single, I slept on a queen, so now that I'm married, we need at least that! But my wonderful husband just laughed and said we would be cozy this weekend. :-)

Anyway, it was still a nice weekend. The rooms were dated, and the staff needs some training, but the bed was comfortable (if small). The water pressure was great, hall lights were working by the next night, and the location is PERFECT! Right on the main drag, but still very quiet. For what we paid, I would stay there again, but I wouldn't pay more!

Unique Quality: Two swimming pools (one in the lobby, one outside). Rooms have a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and hair dryer. Restaurant inside the lobby. Walking distance to several restaurants, shopping, and activities. Just about a mile to Dollywood. Hotel backs up to the Little Pigeon River - I don't know if there are fish, but there were lots of ducks! :-)

Directions: On the main drag in Pigeon Forge

• The Tennessee Nightmare

This had to be the worst vacation of my life I booked my reservations on line paid and thought it was all over, but little did my family and I know it was the begining of a total disaster! When we got their we were told that the reservations we made on line didn't charge to our card that that just secured our room so we proceeded to contiune through the transaction so we get to our room and to find blood on the bathroom door boogiers on the ceiling of the shower just flat out nasty. So the maid comes in and I tell her about the mess and she does clean it up but why was it their to begin with ? We proceed to continue our vacation and go to the parks and what not and come back later that evening and the maid had thrown all of our food and and cases of drinks away thinking that we had checked out . Management said that they would give me a refund of the cost of the food and containers well what they didn't say it was going to be in coupons. We left our vacation 1 day early because we were just so miserable I get home to find that yes my card was charged twice and now they want to use the coupons they gave me for my food also for the over charge for the room.SO thay want me to say in this reveiw that they took care of me okay ye'll right more like please don't hurt my business. If you would like to have a peaceful vacation DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!No I do not recommend this hotel unless you enjoy choas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Not to mention I have made it back home and it is still haunting me : (

Unique Quality: Well the jacuzzi you couldn't enjoy because their was kids their that was diving babys floating in floats the water wasn't warm beacuse of the children they had to turn it down people were in just in their street clothes . The pool I guess was okay didn't really get in but looked clean.

Directions: Middle of pigeon Forge just 8 Minutes from Dollywood and splash country

More about Grand Resort Hotel & Convention Center Pigeon Forge

pay for your ice.....

we were there sept.2003 and i would never go back, not the rate they charge.when taking a shower the water kept going from hot to cold you would either be burn up or frozen. i didn't like the way we had to pay for our ice....the rooms weren't that great. there was a dirty towel in the bath room. they wanted us to be saving with the towels, they wanted us to keep using the same ones over again.the hottub was in with the dining room where everyone was eating. and the free breakfast was either a pancake or biscuit & gravy.you had to pay for your drink. the staff wasn't that friendly

Very Sorry

We stayed at the Hotel the weekend of July 4th. This had to be the worst place my wife and family have been in Pigeon Forge. The rooms were dirty, had to pay to get ice? and aside from killing roaches and finding a mouse in our clothes when we got home the trip was great. I would not recommend anyone to stay here the price was way too high for the stay...

What a grand nightmared

DATE OF CHECK IN: July 3, 2004 at 2pm
DATE OF CHECK OUT: July 3, 2004 at 11pm

What a nightmare! What a disappointment!

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Workers smoking at the check in desk, bugs all over the hotel and in the room, extremely run down. Whoever designed their website must be paid very well. I would suggest that they remove the word "Resort" from their name. It's as far from a resort as you can get.

The best part of our stay at the Grand "Resort" was how nice and quick I received my money back when I ran away around 11:00pm to another hotel.

"Free breakfast" is a trap

We stayed there the night of September 4. Check in was unbelievable - 30 minutes of standing in a line that stretched out the door.
The room was clean and comfortable. Lots of noise from kids in the pool, which didn't close until 11:00. Everything worked fine, though.
The "free" breakfast was a rip-off. A choice of pancakes or biscuits and gravy sounded reasonable, but we weren't told until the end of the line that this was available only if we purchased a drink - water for $1.00. There were also offers of bacon, sausage, and eggs at the counter, but this would have jacked the bill to $7.95 - again without any notification until you reached the end of the line.
The line itself was pretty long, since the cashier had to explain the extra pricing over and over to each customer. A Japanese lady in front of us was almost in tears. A sign would have helped explain things; but that's the nature of a trap, that you don't give it away until the last minute.

Gross not grand!

We had four rooms on Friday Oct. 22 though Sunday Oct. 24. One of the rooms was so dirty at check in that we asked to be moved. The staff
lied and said there were no more rooms available.
When we decided to check out and ask for our
money back, they surprisingly came up with another room. The original room was larger and more expensive than the room they gave us.
But...the staff would not credit the difference to our credit card. They said no one was in the hotel that could authorize the credit. We called the main
office, explained the situation and they promptly hung up on us. When we called back to assure the hang up was not a mistake, they put us on hold until the line finally disconnected. This is not a AAA
hotel! It's an old run down motel with rude people
running it. All my family's rooms were disgusting.
So never again!!!!!

Do not stay here

This hotel is nothing like it appears on the internet. The restaurant wasn't open. We were told the restaurant would not be open Christmas but it wasn't open the day after Christmas either. The help told me that they don't open the restaurant if there is not enough people staying at the hotel. There were not many people staying here and they put us in the worse possible room. We did not feel safe here. The parking lot was not well lit. The room did not have a radio or clock. They told us that we could not have a room with a fireplace even though the hotel on our stay had very few people.

Grand Hotel owned Family Inns

We tried to book the Grand Hotel and had to take rooms at the Family Inn which they own. This was the dirtiest, most run down place I have ever had the misfortune of staying in. There was hair in the bath tub/shower and sink. The carpet was filthy as was every other part of this place. The door handle/lock was in such bad shape, we had to have it replaced. ( Took a day and a half). It is obvious to me that the Grand buys up all the old motels and gets what money they can out of them preforming absolutly no maintenance or cleaning. I assume they will continue to rent them to unsuspecting folks until the word finally gets out or they get condemned or they just fall down. As much as I am into old cars (having a small collecton of six), if I had to stay here, I would not come to the car weekends.

Grand Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member Arshes

On a spur of the moment overnight trip for 12/31, we reserved a room at this hotel specifically for the 'indoor pool' and assumed the 'hotel' price we agreed to pay would be represented in the property.

Problems with this hotel, in order of observance: #1) pools found indoor- small waterfall pool (no swimming allowed) and whirlpool (reportedly area's largest, but I read that on the website, so I'm still skeptical); both of which were in the middle of the lobby, right next to the restaurant that was not open at all during our stay (observation #2). #3) swimming pool that was reported to also be indoor was actually outdoor, though commedable as it was to be full of water in December, it wasn't maintained, and most importantly: NOT INDOOR. #4) ice- a limited commodity, so it required a fee of $0.25 USD/bucket to offset the operation costs of the machines. #5) the ice machine on floor 2 was out of order so I'm not sure where the money to fund its maintenance is going. #6) no clock in the room to set the alarm in the morning, which lead to #7) no dialtone at all for the telephone, therefore unable to call down to the front desk and ask for a wakeup call and extra pillows and blankets. #8) "free satellite and HBO" in room was actually very few channels and no HBO #9) sink in room that dripped constantly, in spite of the sign posted in the bathroom gently asking us to be mindful of water conservation by reusing our towels if possible #10) "free continental breakfast" represented on website was reported upon Check-In to be "free pancakes and biscuits and gravy". Fine enough. Free pancakes and biscuits and gravy informed of upon Check-In became "free with the purchase of a beverage" upon arrival to area 'lavish' breakfast was provided in.

Any good points? #1) Nice view of creek from our room. #2) After sending our son down to lobby to request extra pillows and blankets, the employee who delivered them to our room was very polite.

Overall, a grand disappointment considering our expectations. Would have been suitable if we had just been looking for somewhere to sleep and there weren't less expensive options to do so in the area.

Bait and Switch

DO NOT stay at this place (hotel?)! It was terrible, antiquated, and unfriendly. Though the bathrooms were "inside"! Many other favorable lodging choices are available; choose those, NOT this one. Bottom line camp-out if necessary!
ยง