Smoky Shadows Motel And Conference Center Pigeon Forge

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 26% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

More about Smoky Shadows Motel And Conference Center Pigeon Forge

Nasty! Do Not Stay Here!

We went to Pigeon Forge on a small family vacation. We needed a room that was adjoining and not overly expensive. Smokey Shadows seemed like a great place. I'd read some reviews, but decided that since not everyone can be pleased all of the time, and there were some positives, we'd just stay there and judge for ourselves. That was a huge mistake.The air conditioner was not working, our room was over 85 degrees. My mother in law has a heart condition and I called the front desk to let them know that the air wasn't working they said they would send someone to look at it. Not only did our tv not work properly, it only had fuzzy reception on one channel. When we called the front desk we were told that it was working fine everywhere else in the hotel, but they would call the cable company. The fridge had food in it and gum stuck all over the inside. The bathroom was discusting. The rugs and linens were stained and gross. The pool is a laughable joke. We decided not to stay. When we advised the front desk clerk we were not going to stay and demanded our deposit back she said she could not issue a refund. We were able to obtain a refund for all funds payed. All I can say is...just don't stay there.

Great! I don't understand the bad reviews.

We traveled to Pigeon Forge in May 2005 with a girl scout troop and reserved three non-smoking rooms ($49/each) at Smoky Shadows in the older section of the hotel. We were very pleased with the amenities, cleanliness and service we received. Granted, the older section doesn't compare with the new one from the outside, but the rooms were wonderful for the price we paid. It was obvious that the rooms had been remodeled within the last year or so and the beds were very clean and comfortable. The pools were small, but clean as was the other parts of the grounds that we explored. The donuts for the continental breakfast was a bit disappointing, but we saved more than enough on our rooms to get a "real" breakfast at a sit down restaurant.

I really don't understand all the bad reviews that have been presented here unless management and staff had changed prior to our stay and they have really improved things in the interim. From our experience, we would definitely recommend this hotel and will very likely stay there again on our next trip to Pigeon Forge.

It was everything I hoped for and much, much more!!!

by TripAdvisor Member lebrona

My family and I just got back from 5 days at this hotel. We went to Pigeon Forge to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary. We made our reservations a few weeks ago based on some pictures/pamphlets I had received in the mail. After doing this, I got on this web-site to check out some more information and I was quite honestly very worried after reading what was posted by other guests. I contacted other hotels to see about reservations and I even called this hotel back with my concerns and they knew of the internet posts and guaranteed that I would be completely satisfied. I was very satisfied to say the least!!!

I had reserved one of the Presidential Suites in the Tower part of the hotel and since I was a first time guest at this hotel I received a GREAT RATE. The Presidential Suite consists of two adjoining rooms each with a large jacuzzi, a balcony, and two wash basins. Our room had two KINGS and my parents room had a king and pull-out sofa along with a table and chairs. We received these TWO rooms for $130.00 TOTAL!!! This was counting our AAA Discount. This price was not for each room, but for both combined. Our five night bill for these two rooms was a little over $700.00 counting tax. Both of these rooms had a creek view.

I had called this hotel to ask them to see if they could recognize my parents 50th anniversary on the marquee and they had it up when we arrived much to my parents surprise!! They also made sure that the basket of "goodies" I had ordered from KlassySnacks was in their room waiting for them.

The maid service was excellent every day. We had some problems finalizing the sale of our old residence in Ohio during our stay and the staff at the Smoky Shadows Motel was absolutely great in helping us find a Notary Public to receive a fax and get our signatures and overnight this paper back to Ohio to complete our sale.

There were some things that maybe need improving at this hotel. Some I noticed were one elevator for the Tower part, the pools were both too small for the number of rooms they have, and there is no hot tub/whirlpool at this hotel.

However, I highly reccommend this hotel to anybody who goes to Pigeon Forge. For the price, location, cleanliness of the rooms, views of the creek, etc.... this place can't be beat!!! The parking lot was filled with cars from many, many states each night we were there and it was hard to find a parking spot when we came in at night and they have a large parking area.

This hotel is much better than a two-star hotel. It may not be a five-star, but it is at least a high three or even a four star in my book. Another thing I thought was important was that they had pop/snack machines on every floor. It made for a great week for us and for my parents in celebrating their 50th anniversary. I know the next time we go back to Pigeon Forge there is only one place we will consider staying and that is the Smoky Shadows Motel!!!

Flies and wasps and more flies oh my!

My daughter and I returned yesterday from our 4 day vacation to Pigeon Forge. We had a small budget so I did alot of web searching to find the perfect place to stay. The Smoky Shadows Motel and Conference Center sounded wonderful on the internet. I booked the rooms at what seemed a great rate, just $57 a night. Well, when we pulled into the parking lot I began to lose hope. The lobby was very outdated and messy. There was a big sign posted on the check-in desk that read "No Refunds." Not wanting to quench my daughters excitement for a great mom and daughter week I paid for the room hoping things would look better. We drove to our room which was in the very old, outdated part of the building. We did have a nice view of the creek, but our room was full of flies and wasps and another flying bug I couldn't identify. The room smelled bad and looked like it had not been vacuumed. The security latch on the door was broken which I really did not like since she and I would be staying alone. The room seemed so dirty I didn't want to touch anything. We went to Wal-Mart and bought a big can of Lysol and bug spray. I sprayed the bug spray all around the door and that seemed to take care of the wasps but not the flies. We got alot of use from the attraction brouchures from killing flies. Also the a/c unit's lid was off and it was dirty and full of dust. We "lysoled" everything in the room and made the best of our time together. We go to Pigeon Forge several times a year but I will never, ever stay here again.

Beware!!! Do not stay here!

i was mislead and lied to. i reserved a room with my credit card for a friend of mine for their honeymood as a gift. i spoke to the front desk clerk on two different occasions and told her i was sending the newlyweds with a check from me to pay for their reserved rooms and she gave me total and what i needed to put on the check and said that would be just fine. the newlyweds went to the motel and were then refused a room because i was not standing right there with them, when they tried to check in. the bride was standing in the lobby crying because the couple had drove 4 hours to stay here. the couple called me from this motel and i tried to ask the desk clerk about it and she hung up on me and would not answer the phone when i tried calling back numerous times! (i am also 4 hours away and couldnt do any thing about this because no one would even speak to me about it!) the couple had to go ahead and pay for their own room and they said the room the were placed in was filthy and dirty. the bathroom had not been cleaned and the sheets on the bed were nasty looking. i will never stay or advise anyone to stay here ever again! this honeymoon was a disaster because of a desk clerk who lied to me and gave me alot of misleading info. over the phone. i really appologize for misleading info. that i shared with my newlywed friends about this motel before their wasted trip to pigeon forge! i was only repeating what i was being told by the front desk clerk!

The internet site is horribly misleading---it is a dump!!

by TripAdvisor Member RJW42

My husband and I booked two rooms at least 4 weeks ahead. According to the internet site we were to receive two deluxe non smoking rooms with microwave and refrigerator, hair dryer, VCR, etc. There was also supposedly a beautiful, spacious indoor and outdoor pool. However, when we arrived there was no VCR, terrible reception, no hair dryer and the micro and fridge were in poor repair. The non smoking room had ashtrays and smelled of stale tobacco smoke! The bed linens were grudgy and they had some sort of plastic bubble sheet on the mattress that made you wonder what they were trying to cover up. The pictures shown on the site looked wonderful---how deceiving! When we arrived it took over an hour just to check in! We had our confirmation number and everything ready and it still took this long. The lobby was torn up with drywall falling and dust on the floor. The patrons were backed up out the door. When we finally did get to the rooms we were to say the least extremely disappointed. We were placed in the "historic" section of the motel---translated this means the run down dumpy part . . . and we were not given a choice. The center section is all that is shown on the web . . . and they appear nice. The rooms we stayed in were not just unclean they were filthy, the bathroom tub would not even hold water for a bath and the water pressure was a mere trickle from the shower head! The pools were not much larger than a tub and, as you can imagine, were crowded and dirty! The "continental" breakfast is down the road where you have to pay for your drink (It equals the cost of a decent breakfast--elsewhere) This was a surprise trip to the smokies for our son's 14th birthday . . . and even the teenagers thought the place was disgusting! It was a filthy dump! My advice is don't stay here!

OK, not bad, not great, but ok

We had researched here and other sites on this motel, and I was very cautious after all the reviews. We reserved 2 smoking rooms, and were told they would have a river view. When we arrived, they attempted to put us in the historic section. I politely told them that was not what we were promised, and they told us they could put us in the new part, but it would cost more. The internet rate we got was 49 a night and for us to "upgrade" would cost us 69 a night. In exchange we upgraded from 2 double beds to 2 king beds, a view of the river from our own private balcony, and we had a jacuzzi in the room. When we got up to our rooms, our bathroom light didn't work in one of the rooms. I called the front desk and they sent someone up within a half hour. So I have to admit it was fairly quick. The bed linens were clean, the beds were in decent condition. Our second room had a strange odor resembling lunchmeat...lol, but our traveling companions remedied that by buying an air freshener. One downside was the carpets, they were filthy! You couldn't walk across the room without your white socks turning black. And we made sure to tell the cleaning people that they needed to clean the carpets more regularly. The cleaning schedule times varied greatly. One morning they showed up to clean at 8 am, the next was after noon, and the third was around 10:30 am. And it was never the same cleaning person twice. There were 2 guys cleaning our floor one day, 2 girls the next, one guy the next, you get the idea. The guys didn't do that great of job, the girls took way too long, pausing to talk, not quietly may I add, and took I suppose breaks every 20 minutes. The pools were clean the first 2 days, then after that they just went downhill. A Krystal cup sat on one of the tables at the indoor pool for 3 days before someone finally threw it away. The indoor pool stayed packed unless you went at 11 pm, and they were too warm considering it was in the mid 80's outside. It was pretty close to bath water temperature. The continental breakfast was a joke. Donut holes and juice from a machine....puhlease! And we found out on the last day we could have gone to one of their sister hotels and gotten a free sit down breakfast! Also, the ventilation in the rooms weren't great. The people in the room next to or above us were smoking something other than cigarettes and it came through the vents in the bathroom.In closing, it was a place to sleep. The rooms were ok, but what do you expect for the price? On a budget they work, but I think I would rather spend another 10 or 20 a night and get a better hotel.

Laura - Anderson SC

What a Honeymoon............

This hotel was anything but elegant. Unfortunately I was intelligent enough to plan a Honeymoon in Gatlinburg for the day after my wedding, only problem is that my bride and I decided that it would be more fun to venture up to TN hat night instead of waiting and we did not have reservations. It just so happens that we left on July 2nd and had to fight the Independence Day traffic. Because of the lack of vacancies, my wife and I were stuck in this armpit of a motel. They put us up in the "luxurious" tower, a new addition to the old motel. After stealing our money with a price of 189.00 plus tax (we checked in after 1:00 am) we were awaken by the maid: she barged in at 8:30 am after knocking, but before we could respond (we were sleeping.) People do make mistakes, and we were willing to let this slide until our peace and quiet was disturbed by the maids down the hall changing trash bags. When you can hear a trash bag opening down the hallway when your door is shut, then the walls are just too thin. I was upset with the service that I was provided so I asked the front desk for a form to file a formal complaintl; they offered me a 3 line comment sheet titled "maintenance requests". I told her that this was unacceptable and asked the desk clerk if there was a phone number that I could call. A flyer with 2 numbers was handed to me, and the clerk marked out the area code of the first number, claiming that it had changed, only to give me a false area code: luckily I could still read the original code. The person answering was no one other than the clerk that had just handed me the form, so I asked to speak to the manager (a person who was unavailable while I attempted to make a claim in person.) The manager assured me that the service received was not in compliance with the companies policies and I would be compensated, but I had to contact the corporate office. It has been a week and a half and I am still waiting to hear from them. I have called only to be tied in a web of phone tag from one office to the next, looking for what I believe to be a ficitonal character; I am still waiting for that call.

I appreciate your time in reading my review... I do not believe that this company has any idea of good customer service. I understand that I caught them at a busy time and a price increase was expected. But $200 for 6 hours of sleep... only to be disturbed by the people who are supposed to provide peace, comfort, and silence....

If you decide to stay here, I recommend wearing earplugs in your sleep... or at least do not expect to sleep in.

Bitter-Sweet

There are 2 sections to this Motel, an old building and a newer building that are seperated by a pool, Id recomend the newer if you can afford the unjust price difference. Both of my kids ended up with ear infections after swimming in the pool. The T.V.'s have minimal channels. The sink in my room kept leaking onto the floor. Maid sevice was fine. I'd recommend shopping around before booking this place.

Comments