Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

190 Gists Creek Road, Sevierville, Tennessee, 37862, United States

More about Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

good stay

by TripAdvisor Member mrss_8

Positives: clean rooms, comfy beds, nice bathroom
It reminded me of Animal Kingdom Lodge rooms at
Disney. The children enjoyed the waterpark. Our two
night stay was just the right amount.

Negatives: long, long confusing walk from lobby
false advertising....only one waterpark open and it
is very small
The resort is very expensive and the food there is equally
expensive. They close the waterpark at 7 pm!!!
my children were so upset. At least at a regular hotel
pool they can swim till they fall out!

Had A Blast!

by TripAdvisor Member ZuluPulaski

We just returned from the Hotel on July 31, 2008. We had a really good time there. I was very impressed with the life guards outside that was at the water park. We got a 2 queen size beds with sleeper sofa, no balcony. If we would have got the 2 queen sized beds we would have had a balcony to hang bathing suits out to dry. The hotel was very clean. Check in was no problem. Everyone I talked to was very friendly. No problems with check out, or getting anything for our room.We did not go eat there, so I do not know how the food was. The arcade was fun for my 2 kids ages 8-girl & 11-boy. I really would like to go back when the indoor part is finished, it looks like it will be alot of fun. Travelers from Pulaski TN.

Great getaway for the family!

by TripAdvisor Member my3gardenias

We were looking for a place to take the kids for a small family vacation. We stayed 2 nights (7/13-7/14) and it was the perfect length of time. We've been to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area a million times, so we were looking to do something a little different.

The waterpark at the hotel was small, but it was a perfect size for our children (ages 7 - 5). There was enough for them to do and not get bored. I loved the fact that the pool didn't go above 3 1/2 feet, so I didn't have to constantly worry about "the deep end". The waterslides were big enough for my husband and I to enjoy them, but also small enough for the kids to enjoy them too. I imagine that families with older children would probably get bored pretty quickly.

The waterpark was open from 10am - 8pm daily and was very well staffed with lifeguards. There was always a nice stock of towels available and there seemed to be plenty of chairs. We never had a problem finding chairs to put our stuff on.

Because we had already been to the area so many times, we actually only left the hotel grounds for meals. The hotel restaurant was a little pricey, even with their "Kids Eat Free" promotion.

There was a lot of construction going on across the street, but we never encountered any hassles because of it.

All in all, this was a great trip for the kids. They thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not at all like advertised!

by TripAdvisor Member jerickoandbecky

This was insane at best! We looked forward to spending time at this great water park...it was me, hubby, a disabled church friend and her 10 year old granddaughter. We were excited about this place for a couple of weeks and when the day came to go there, we all packed up our things and headed out with excitement that couldn't be contained. The website made this place look huge and there would be so much to do! We were given a handicap room due to our friends disability that limits her walking and movement. We arrived and parked both vehicles to go check in and the room wasn't ready but we were told to go on and enjoy the water while we waited. We all changed in a hallway bathroom and headed for the elevator to get downstairs to the water. We had been told in the restroom by 2 people that the elevators were terribly messed up but we had no choice but to trust that we would get downstairs safely and they did, but as we landed on the ground level and the doors opened is when all went wrong! As we were holding the doors to the elevator so our friend could get out...the doors started closing on her and her walker. We couldn't get them opened so my hubby and I just held the doors off of her until she was safely out...those doors are strong too! Anyway, we go through the game room and out the double doors to the water park when we finally see that this place is very tiny...and I mean very tiny! We were told that several things were not even open to us, such as the indoor pool and the lazy river ride, not sure what else. We could not even find a chair for our friend to sit in, she had been told she could enjoy the water too but that was a lie! She never even got to touch the water and after about 10 minutes of searching for a seat(no attendant would offer help) we finally got her back inside to the game room where she sat and waited for our room to get ready while the three of us played in what we could. There was a small pool that was deepest at 3 and a half feet, two slides that were very short with long lines! and a smaller kids place that has a extra slide for the younger kids! Yep, that was it! Then our room was ready after about two hours. We went back up to register and found out that the handicap rooms are on the far side of the building and you have to walk further than anyone else just to get to your room if your disabled! Let me explain further...you would have to go from the front desk down a corridor and pass up two different sets of elevators and make your way to the third set, board the elevator and go down a floor at which time you go down another long corridor to your room...all while you cant walk very well. Anyway, we had all we could handle of this place so we received a refund and they were nice enough to let us spend more time in the park because of the 10 year old. We got our friend sat up and comfortable upstairs near the front desk and went back down to play a bit. The attendants and life guards were all under 21 it appeared. They never said one word to me the entire time we were there. They were rude and no help at all. The only good thing was the huge hot tub. I will never go back there but I do pray that this place gets everything under control and figures out how to have a nice place someday! I forgot the cafe.....a slushy like drink was almost 7 bucks down there so I dont even want to try the food...lol

Huge disappointment after Wilderness Resort in Wisconsin Dells

by TripAdvisor Member DukeGrad

Like all the other reviews, the resort was a big disappointment. On the website, they make it look much bigger and with more waterpark than there is. We stayed at the Wilderness in Wisconsin Dells and that place was AMAZING! So we were expecting something similar. The resort was not quite ready when we arrived on June 29th. The rooms were nice enough, but the glorified pool area was definitely not a waterpark. My 4-yr-old loved it, but my 12- and 15-yr old were very disappointed. The food from the snack bar and breakfast buffet were awful. It was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room, and iPods connected to the alarm clock radio. I think it will be worth going to in 3 or 4 years when they have built out the rest of the resort.

Deceptive Advertising!

by TripAdvisor Member homefor3

We were very disappointed in the waterpark. We pretty much drove there for the waterpark based on the advertisements. Had I known the advertisements were not real, we'd have stayed home and gone to a local real waterpark for a day and saved a ton of money! We made the best of it and enjoyed the slides and hot tub the most. The rooms are really nice - upscale decor. The staff seemed very courteous. We were able to get in our room very early (11 am).

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member TKeith

My husband and I took our 9 yr. son and 3 of his friends to The Wilderness Resort on Saturday, Sept. 20th. We absolutely loved it!! We only live about 30 minutes from Sevierville and usually stay in the Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area several times a year. We have never stayed anywhere close to as nice as this place was.

The room was great and extremely clean. The furnishings were very stylish and confortable. There was a 42 inch flat screen TV with a dvd player to watch movies. The Towels were the very high quality as were the sheets. There was a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker in the room.

The people working the front desk were extremely friendly and helpful as were everyone else we encountered during our stay. We were allowed to check into our room as soon as we arrived at 1:30 pm which was great since check in isn't till 4:00 pm.

They have a small business center with 2 computers and a printer which is free. I thought this was a very nice extra. The fitness center is open 24 hours and was very modern and had great equipment. The treadmills were top notch!

Free parking and plenty of it with easy access to the hotel.

We didn't eat at the restaurants but I did check out the prices and they didn't seem any higher than anywhere else. And the food I saw looked great.

Now for the waterpark. I realize it might not be thrilling enough for teens or young adults but it was perfect for the 4, 9 yr olds we had with us. The boys had no complaints, they loved it. There were lifequards everywhere and they were all very pleasant to us and the boys. There were tables with umbrellas and chairs and lounge chairs with cushions everywhere, more than I've seen at any resort I've ever been to. Also, they allow you to stay all day at the waterpark on the day you check out.

Since they are still working on the hotel and the indoor waterpark, there was construction going on near the waterpark but didn't take away from our fun at all.

For the money this is the place to go. I check in to the other hotel that had some sort of "water parks" and they charged a large fee per person for their water park on top of their already expensive room rate.

Very Nice New Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member whitney37354

Three adults and three small children (3 & 4 years old) stayed here one night. We were on the sixth floor with easy access to the elevator. Front desk was very friendly and hauling all our stuff was no problem with the luggage carts located just inside the front entrace.

I understand that older children wouldn't enjoy the "waterpark" but it would have been great in the summer months for our group.

We took one of the children into the gift shop and cautioned her not to touch anything. The lady working the register told us that they weren't overly concerned with things accidentally getting broken and would just write off anything that was broken by a child. She stressed that they were "not that kind of place" and are a "family resort". I was impressed by that.

Our map showed us a "back road" into the property that saved time from driving the parkway. Since the room had a fridge and microwave, we were able to go to Food Lion down the back road and have sandwiches for dinner & cereal for breakfast in the room.

The room was nice and very clean except for a clingy piece of plastic that I found under the coffee table. I'm sure that the vacuum just wouldn't pull it off the carpet.

I would definately go back.

Opening day at the Waterpark

by TripAdvisor Member Davidgetsaround

I booked this trip before reading reviews on TripAdvisor. The reviews that I read were not complimentary, and I was concerned that I'd made an expensive mistake. After a five hour drive through the Smoky Mountains in the rain, we arrived at the resort with some trepidation.

Our fears were foundless, however, as the facility was wonderful, the accommodations lush and comfortable, and the water park was fabulous. Even though it was opening day for the water park, and the hotel was at 100% capacity, the staff was friendly and upbeat. You could tell they had been put through the ringer trying to manage the rush, but they were still all smiles.

There were a few opening day jitters. Several of the lamps in my room were missing the light-bulbs, and the DVD player on the big screen TV in the living room (I had booked a two bedroom suite) was not hooked up, the slight inconvenience was not enough to detract from the wonderful time we had. A call to the front desk sent someone up to rectify the situation very quickly.

The indoor water park was wonderful. 80,000 feet of wet and wild fun, with a huge wave pool, a wave-rider (indoor surfing!) several water slides, two kid's activity play areas, a heated pool and an indoor/outdoor hot tub kept us busy for as long as we wanted to play.

I highly recommend a trip to this fun watery playground in the Smoky Mountains.

Future Stay: Read the Terms and Conditions!

by TripAdvisor Member atlkevin

This is a review of the hotel's reservation process; not the hotel itself. I will post a review of the property after my stay is complete.

This hotel has a policy of charging, in advance, for one night's stay. I booked my family's one-night stay a month in advance, and was surprised when this charge to my debit card occurred immediately. I was not told this by the reservation agent. The email confirmation I received AFTER booking that included the terms, but that's too little too late. You're already on the hook.

Also, if you cancel the reseravation at any point, there's a $20 processing charge. If you cancel within 72 hours, you forfeit the full amount.

I'm a very frequent business traveler, so I know industry-standard policies. Perhaps the resort industry has different standards than business travel-- I don't know. Regardless, I feel like this hotel is taking advantage of customers, and that's never a good thing. No one likes to feel nickel and dimed.

For the sake of getting $160 in their account a month in advance of my stay, they've created a really negative impression in my mind and in the minds of people I tell about this. Bad business logic.

Be sure the read the terms and conditions!

Comments