3950 Ridgemont Drive, Abilene, Texas, 79606, United States

BEST WESTERN Whitten South
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Location, location, location

It was a long, hot drive from Palo Duro Canyon to Abilene. I figured I'd check in to my hotel and have a swim. The only problem was that the place I reserved -- the Best Western Plus Abilene Inn & Suites --wasn't the place I'd circled on the map, and the former was hosting a high school prom, so I was relieved when they said I could switch to another Best Western closer to the center of action in town. The new place adjoined the Mall of Abilene, not a draw except that I thought I might go see a movie. The pool turned out to be icy cold despite the day's high temperatures which ran up to 103, so I skipped the swim and headed for the mall. Darn it, there wasn't a single movie playing which I wanted to see! So I settled for a Mexican dinner and a Corona.

Other than the icy pool, this Best Western distinguished itself by being in the old motel format (exterior corridors) and by having a lot of rooms under renovation. I parked next to a rank of pick-ups loaded with drywall, etc. but since it was Saturday night, the work didn't bother me. The room itself was perfectly adequate if a little dated in style.

Unique Quality: There was very good internet service, and an abundance of fresh fruit in the complimentary continental breakfast. (If you want a slightly better breakfast for about the same rates, go to the Best Western Plus.)

Directions: US 83/84, exit Buffalo Gap Road to Ridgemonth Drive, just west of the Mall

Comments