Homewood Suites Amarillo

hartrn's Profile Photo

What you Have to Pay to get Mediocre Lodging

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 29, 2015

Homewood Suites by Hilton is along I 40 on the West side of Amarillo. I have learned since lodging in hotels since May of 2015 that Amarillo is the closest place within 3 hours along I 40 and thus places are booked almost every night at premium rates (at least late spring into summer).
The lobby of the hotel is very old world style architecture and nice. The staff at the desk are accommodating and friendly. The rooms are clean and the bed awesome. For my budget the $112/night was too much for a 30 day stay. However when I first checked in, I had stated that I was in Amarillo until August and thus the hotel booked me that way. When I asked to not reserve days so I could travel to San Antonion for awhile I was told not to because my tax break would end. When I wished to end my stay early I was told I would be charged $174/night in arrears for each day.

Breakfast is exactly the same every day, with weekends including do it yourself waffles. Stay at the Extended Stay if you are here for a short time and take the family out with the savings! The weeknight M to F I think there is a "dinner" served. I ate there 4 times over the month. Meetloaf was good, Veggie lasagna was sticky, Cold cuts were a good snack and I forget what was the 4th....lol. It is not prepared but reheated out of a TV dinner box like Stouffers type food....again; save the money on the room and go to Red Robin or Famous Daves or Saltgrass or Longhorn or Furrs or the really touted Plaza Restaurant. All of these are an easy walk.

The sofa in my non smoking room at Homewood Suites had a cig hole in it. The sheets are changed every 3 days and housekeeping will likely clean your frig of any alcohol or food so notify the front desk to not have food removed or to have the food removed. That said...the refrigerator is great, there is a dishwasher, sink with disposal, 2 burner stove top and microwave.

The profile picture is of me in the room which I stayed. The air conditioning unit clanks on and off repeatedly, something that I wasn't a big fan of in summer and trying to sleep days. However there is a ceiling fan in the bedroom to help circulate air as the windows do Not Open. This however does limit the amount of noise.

The hotel offers a swimming pool. I was told by the maintenance man who is very nice that he shock treated it, however the rain and bugs and trash in the pool usually averted my interest. This accompanied by the metal patio furniture in 100 degree heat and broken clay tiles just about negates the use of the pool.

In theory, the hotel sounds great and is good for a short to moderate stay. It is safe, no bed bugs, no car break ins and no loud parties or police at night. The facade of interior decorating also helps boost morale. Anita Joseph the Manager is very business oriented and does ask how everything is, etc. Miss Stephens the General Manager is behind the scenes. The staff keeps trash emptied in public corridors and housekeeping is decent.

Unique Quality: Is easy access on West side of Amarillo close to airport.

Nearby Homewood Suites Amarillo

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette
  • Suites

Amarillo Travel Forum

Need advice about Amarillo, Texas? Visit the Travel Forum for Amarillo and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amarillo hotel reviews

The big steaks
The other Big Texan~
American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum
Things to Do
Try a jeep tour of the Canyon
One place where Texas has #2 position
Iconic Cadillac Ranch
Things to Do
Can YOU eat a 72-ounce steak in an hour?
Amarillo Beef!