8300 IH 35 North, Austin, Texas, 78753, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Austin

More FridaMore Frida

Volunteer FiremenVolunteer Firemen

The lower deck and the viewThe lower deck and the view

Texas Chili Parlor (2007)Texas Chili Parlor (2007)

Planning to move family to Austin in June '07

by racorbin

Hey all, I've enjoyed the forum's information. I'm a Software Engineer in Pittsburgh from Florida. I'm done with the cold, dark weather here and want to get back South and Austin has got me hooked. I've made alot of trips to Texas and Austin feels like home over any other city in Texas with the social culture and things to do. Right now I'm about a year from being available to move. Any advice on when to start knocking on employers doors in Austin and what's the social climate at the technical companies there.
My wife's concerns are that our kids 6 & 8 will have all the activities available there as they do here i.e. baseball, dance, scouting, church. I've assured her that there's all of that plus, but I don't know which areas are best to find that in. I've read some posts that mention austinhomesearch.com. What regions work well for her concerns. Personally I like the Cedar Park area unfortunately I've only been able to visit it online. Any information there would help.

Thanks..

RE: Planning to move family to Austin in June '07

by ATXtraveler

I would not make any neighborhood decisions until you find out where you will be working. If you lived in Cedar Park and worked in South Austin, you would be dreading that decision every day. My Austin house is in Pflugerville, and I work in Round Rock, which makes for a sub-10 minute commute... lovely!

I have alot of good contacts in the industry, as it is also my profession (although I sell it, not design it). Send me an email on here and we can chat offline about employment opportunities... glad to get another techie into the Silicon Hills :)

RE: RE: Planning to move family to Austin in June '07

by Matt420

I would have to agree... A commute across town everyday would get old pretty quick. Once you decide on a company, and then start looking for areas to live. South Austin is totally different from North Austin and East Austin is in a world of its own. I wouldn't say any section of Austin is better; they each have their own feel.
This probably didn't help very much, but I did want to throw my two cents in.

RE: Planning to move family to Austin in June '07

by Ronny2007

Ronny will tell you all your options. He knows Austin like the back of his hand. He's my tour guide! =-) Keep this email and can ask him any questions you have. Here's his email ronsrealtors@gmail.com

I promise he'll help you and he's fun too.

RE: RE: RE: Planning to move family to Austin in June '07

by racorbin

Hey thanks ATXTraveler, Matt420 and Ronny2007 for your replies. ATX I'll be getting that resume to you soon, your company is a huge opportunity and I want to make sure it highlights your companies needs with my qualifications appropriately. Ronny, I'll keep your services as a Realtor in mind.

Rick C.

Travel Tips for Austin

I actually live in a town...

by larsen

I actually live in a town called MARBLE FALLS which is in the Texas Hill Country which is about an hour west of Austin, North of San Antonio. It's the best part of Texas, of course. Come see the bluebonnets blooming in April. Austin and our area is pretty laid back although the recent influx of people is beginning to change that for the worse unfortunately. It's getting way too overgrown too fast.

Thirty years ago this would...

by zypher

Thirty years ago this would have been easy. IN GENERAL: Austin has a big Hispanic population with its inherent sub-culture. It also has a big Asian population of Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indians and Indonesians, each bringing the best of their countries and cultures. There are native Texans and a few native Austinites, along with people from all across the US and Europe. To simplify it would be just that, and I can't. TIPPING IN RESTAURANTS: An average of 15-20 percent of the bill is customary, with excellent service being rewarded as such. HOW TO GREET PEOPLE: Howdy! COMMON MISTAKES: Who's to say as I've made my share. Be yourself -- that's what Austin has always been about. Look at it this way: the rest of Texas looks at us as a bastion of free-thinking radicalism in an otherwise conservative state!

Enjoy the hill country

by yelli

The hill country, I think, is one of the nicest places in Texas. Lucky for me I live in it! Here you can find beautiful mansions, golf courses, lake restaurants, many yachts on the lake, and lots more. It's a gorgeous lake (actually the Colorado river dammed up) for fun in the summer.

Mount Bonnell

by keeweechic

Mount Bonnell is Austin's best hilltop view where you can look over Lake Austin and the Hill Country or look back to the city skyline. You have to climb the 100 steps to the top but the view over the lake area especially is worth it. The homes along the shores of the lake are amazing.

Located on Mt. Bonnell Road, one-mile past the west end of West 35th Exit Mopac at 35th or at RM2222 and head west.

Coyote Ugly

by msbrandysue about 6th Street

Have you seen the movie Coyote Ugly? If not, watch it, and you'll see this bar alive and hoppin'. It is a chain of bars where the bartenders (all female) are dancing on the bar while serving drinks. Guys are there to gawk and women go to have a good time and do a little dancing themselves. Any girl is allowed to dance on the bar...no guys though!

*There is no dance floor...it's only a bar!

Guys, if you're on a guy-only weekend you'll love this. The bartenders will flirt with you, give you shots anyway you want, etc, etc.

I went with all girls and we still had a good time (although I wasn't drunk enough to get up and dance). As soon as I walked in a girl asked me what I wanted to drink...and a bar that can do that is 5 stars on my list ;) The music is fun, the bartenders are fun and the drinks are good. It's a fun time... The dress code is definitely high scale. Am I allowed to say the bartenders dress sexy? And so should you...If you want to fit in. If you have your own style nobody will care and you'll still be taken care of.

Comments