Austin Village Motor Inn

601 Middle Lane, (formerly Texas Village Motor Inn), Austin, Texas, 78753, United States

Satisfaction Average

More about Austin

PARKING CHARGES IN MAY 2009PARKING CHARGES IN MAY 2009

The exteriorThe exterior

The Decemberists performing at ACLThe Decemberists performing at ACL

Inscription on the Statue of Liberty MonumentInscription on the Statue of Liberty Monument

Has anyone in Austin been to Peru?

by butterfly_girl

I am looking for someone in Austin that I can get together with to help give me some information on Peru.

I will be going to Peru in April and I would love to see some pictures of your trip and find out some good tips on hiking Machu Picchu and any other information you could provide.

Thanks!

Re: Has anyone in Austin been to Peru?

by jnette

I'm in Nacogdoches, not Austin, but I can email some pictures to you if you send your email address to me: bjsingle@hotmail.com. I went to Peru in July 2002, alone, for my 65th birthday present to myself. I stayed in a wonderful hostel in Cuzco, and did the 4 day-3 night Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. It was awesome!!

RE: Has anyone in Austin been to Peru?

by SarahSue8983

I live here in Austin, but have never been to Peru-however my friend Ariana who also lives here is from Peru. She is very proud of where she is from and i'm sure is willing to pass on any information. if you would like, i can talk to her and see if she would like to give out her contact information. let me know!

Sarah

RE: RE: Has anyone in Austin been to Peru?

by butterfly_girl

Hey Sarah:
Thanks for the response! I leave for Peru next week, so I probably won't get a chance to meet with her before I go, but if she has any words or advice or tips to share, she can send me an e-mail at butterfly_girl@VTmail.com

By the way...welcome to VT! I'm sure you will love the site. We had a first ever Austin VT Meet last month.

Travel Tips for Austin

Heroes of the Alamo Monument

by Stephen-KarenConn

When I saw this monument to the Heroes of the Alamo on the Texas State Capitol grounds it reminded me of my home state of Tennessee. That's because 32 of the brave men who died at the Alamo - more than from any other state - were natives of Tennessee. The most famous of these was a former Tennessee Congressman, David Crockett.

Texans are justly proud of the 187 gallant men who lost their lives at the Alamo in one of the most heroic fights in history. Tennesseans should also be proud to know that without the efforts of the "Tennessee Volunteers" there might not be a Texas today. Appropriately, the first governor of the independent Republic of Texas was Sam Houston, a former governor of Tennessee.

This monument is a bronze statue of a Texan holding a muzzle-loader rifle, standing atop a Texas granite base. In 1836 the 187 defenders of the Alamo fort, under the command of William B. Travis, laid down their lives during a 13-day siege. They were sorely outnumbered by Mexican General Santa Anna's army of more than 5,000. Names of the Texans who died in the battle are inscribed upon the four granite supports of the monument.

To learn more of the Tennessee/Texas connection, click on the link below.

Tennesseans at the Alamo

Frank Erwin Center

by kd_baby

All the locals refer to this enormous facility as "The Drum". This arena owned and managed by UT Austin (AFAIK). This is where the Longhorns basketball teams play their home games. This is also where the UIL basketball state championship occur every year. The vendors will be happy to see you bring money.

McKinney Falls State Park

by tee0206

McKinney Falls State Park has replaced the Zilker Botanical Gardens as my new absolute favorite spot in Austin. Oh my gosh, this place is amazing. There are really cool geological features here, but unfortunately, I never paid enough attention to my geology classes to be able to tell you much about them. There's a little waterfall, though, which is cool. There are trails all around the park for exploring. You can go fishing and hiking. There's a hike & bike trail. You can bring food for a picnic as there are many picnic tables around. You can go camping here as well. It's just such a gorgeous spot. I absolutely love it. Price is $4.00 per person for the day.

Sunset Valley Village Center

by kd_baby about Sunset Valley Village Center

This is a huge shopping area in SW Austin. Really, there's shopping on both sides of Brodie Ln. The busiest Home Depot in Austin resides in this shopping center. Well, most of the time I go to Home Depot. Other than that, I go to Circuit City, or maybe I just want a bite to east across the street at Schlotzsky's Deli or Fire Bowl Cafe. $20

When I read (here on VT) that...

by noahsdad

When I read (here on VT) that you could hear any type of music on 6th street, I didn't believe it. But then I found some world music--a group called Jaka from New Mexico of all places (!) made some incredible music inspired by the sounds of southern Africa (think Johnny Clegg, Juluka, etc.). Their lively music had an incredible energy. It was pure joy! They appeared at a place called Flamingo. A Latino ensemble called Grupo Fantasma opened.

Comments