Barton Creek Resort & Spa

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Orbitz.com Expedia.com amextravel.com

Costs 94% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Nice Golf Resort

Unique Quality: Nestled in north Austin's Barton Creek area. Part of a fairly nice golf resort nestled among million dollar homes. The rooms and grounds are a bit dated. I'm sure it was quite grand when it opened. This is one of the nicer resorts in Austin and is renowned for its golf and spa, but I think the Four Seasons is a better choice if you're not going to be spaing, golfing, or attending a convention.

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Weekend Getaway

I spent a couple days at the Barton Creek Resort & Spa on business. It's a very nice place - great service, nice rooms, wonderful fitness facilities & one of the top 100 golf courses. If you are looking for a nice spa retreat, this is the place.

If you are going to Austin to experience the uniqueness of Austin, this is not a place I would recommend, as it is away from the city and you don't get the sense of diversity that is great about Austin.

More about Barton Creek Resort & Spa

Loved Barton Creek Resort & Spa

by TripAdvisor Member TXSuziC

I was very hesitant to make a reservation at this hotel because of the bad reviews here. I decided to take a chance and we were all pleasantly surprised. The hotel is set in the Barton Creek area/bee caves road near 360 among rugged hill country and a private pricey residential area. It was really beautiful. We checked in fast with no problems whatsoever. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and did an excellent job. There was not one single employee that I passed in any hallway or outside on the grounds that did not greet me. I thought the staff was friendly and excellent.

Our room was room number 333 which was located looking over the pool and part of the golf course. Very pretty view. The room had 2 queen beds that were very comfortable and it was decorated nicely. The room and bathrooms were clean as was every area of the hotel. One morning we did wake up and there were a few beer cans someone left by the elevator from the night before but they were gone by the time we had eaten breakfast and returned to the room. I never saw any trash laying around.

We went on a bed and breakfast package and ate the breakfast buffet each morning. There was a wide variety of food was very good and the staff did an excellent job of attending to our table. I'm still craving one of the dishes! We did not eat at the hotel for lunch or dinner.

Our children, ages 10 and 6, loved the pool, the hot tub, the nature trail and mostly the miniature 18 hole golf course. There were also movies at night in the Forum and games at the pool and a pit to make smores.

We thought the hotel was conveniently located. We were within a 15 minute drive to Zilker park area and Barton Spring Pool. There is a nearby mall with a cinema. One reviewer said there was nothing to eat closeby. Within a 5 to 10 minute drive was County Line Barbeque and another shopping area that had Macaroni Grill, Chickfale and some other eating places. We also drove further in to downtown to eat and watch the bats at Congress Ave,.

Checkout was as fast and pleasant as the check-in. For once, I'm glad I didn't go by the negative reviews. The only fault I could find with the place is that it does have a country club air about it and we were looking to be a bit more casual. It was not a problem at all though. If you go, I'd bring a few nicer things to wear at the hotel restaurants for dinner.

A Great Bed and Breakfast in Gurnee, Illinois?

by deecat about Sweet Basil Hill Farm, Gurnee, Illinois

Less than two miles from my house is a remarkably wonderful Bed and Breakfast called Sweet Basil Hill Farm Bed and Breakfast Inn.
This is a country inn that is cozy and comfortable.

It's nestled on a hilltop amid seven and a half wooded acres, just six miles west of Lake Michigan and about half way between Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Chicago, Illinois.

The Inn has English and American country antiques and gleaming wood floors, wicker rockers, and Shaker chairs.

The hosts are Teri and Bob Jones who personally welcome you. I was enchanted by the groves of fruit trees, all the flower gardens, and the walking paths.

If you have children, they will love it here with the farm animals, the sheep, the llamas, and a potbellied pig. I don't remember the names, but each animal has its own name.

It reminds me of an Inn we stayed in while in New Hampshire. It has English pine antiques and handmade reproductions. All the guest rooms are different with every detail just perfect.

The common room has comfortable seating around a wood burning fireplace. There are games, books, and a video collection for guests to use. Complimentary hot spiced cider or strawberry lemonade, cookies, popcorn, coffee, and tea are always available.

There are two 2-bedroom suites, one single room, and one separate 2-bedroom guest cottage with a kitchen, dining room, living room with fireplace as well as bath. All rooms have private baths, are air conditioned and either Queen or twin beds.

Rates range from $95.00 to $175.00 A generous breakfast from a menu is offered each morning. We had fruit, eggs, cereal, freshly baked breads/muffins/cakes plus coffee or tea. You are able to decide when you wish to eat, and that is real special.

It's not real obvious that it is a Bed and Breakfast from the road. You have to look for a small Sweet Basil Hill sign and a short white fence. Then you drive up the gravel road to the second building. Ring the Visitor's Bell right outside the Inn.

I tell you that you will not regret staying at this enchanting country inn.

I, and 200 others, got very, very sick

by TripAdvisor Member WashingtonAnnArbor

Barton Creek resort had an outbreak of some kind of intestinal sickness (allegedly norovirus) that made me violently ill. They tried to pay me off and begged us not to bad mouth them, but I am fed up with this. Don't let big awful resorts like Barton Creek get away with this anymore. They were a terrible resort and hotel besides the illness. This incident simply goes to show what kind of cleanliness standards they must keep while preparing your food. The golf course was nice, but overall, I will never visit Barton Creek again, the staff was rude and the food was atrocious. I can assure you that you can do better is beautiful Austin, Tx.

We're experieced & this was not good

by TripAdvisor Member GolfResorter

We were not satisfied with our experience at Barton Creek! I thought about venting my disappointments to management, but figured it was useless. There were so many complaints, surely, the fault must lie with management. For starters, dust bunnies and litter occupied the same spot in the lobby for 4 days without being touched. The concierge desk was always vacant, but close by joshing at the front door was normal. The bathroom had no vents, no shower or bath handholds, no soap dish; just mucho steam and a slippery tub when showering. You could, literally, not read anywhere in the room, if the curtains were closed due to low watt bulbs everywhere. The main dining room waiter informed me all meals on the menu were prepared food; therefore, the kitchen could not alter an entree by reducing sodium for me. The prices were high and the dining room was nearly empty. A staff reservationist promised me on 3 consecutive occassions to change a reservation package error, but never followed through; then, when checking out, the front desk clerk refused my request to verify the promises made to me by that reservationist. The clerk, luckily for me, did get an OK from another source; but, I got the feeling the promises made to me would not have been a consideration, under any circumstances. Of the 3 golf courses, one was always dedicated to members and a second seemed always set aside for a function, making it difficult to schedule golf venues. The only hero I found at Barton Creek was a golf pro. He appeared to be the only mature person there; and, the only one with patience to listen to a guest. To add insult to injury, when we got home there was an additional charge to my credit card waiting for me for a bottle of wine, apparently missing from the room's minibar. We never opened the minibar. By this time, I was beginning to lose my serenity. Finally, after having to leave a message, a pleasant accounting clerk did call and promise to correct that error. A subsequent on-line look at my charge card account confirmed the credit. I got the feeling that the resort exists for conventions and group activities, at the expense, and frustration of individual guests. The prices were high, because the value for the individual was not there. We never did get to play, but 'play and don't stay", if you can arrange it, would be my advice to small groups, couples, and individual golfers.

Not a fairytale...

by TripAdvisor Member 128900

April 2007 update: After attempting to reach the manager of Barton Creek several times BEFORE our wedding, he finally called us AFTER our wedding. He was defensive and offered us nothing for our trouble. While I am sure some couples have had good experiences at Barton Creek, I hope it is apparent that not everybody is treated well or has a fairytale wedding. Be careful with this place.........

December 2006: My husband and I had our wedding reception at Barton
Creek and the service I received was beyond awful. Barton Creek's event
coordinators were unprofessional and inexperienced and we were often
given misinformation about important details regarding our event. Their
Director of Catering, Kristin A., was condescending and unhelpful.
She scoffed at our ideas and was more focused on her own personal life
than on our wedding. Her assistant, Stephanie M., was mistake-prone
and misinformed us many times of prices, availability, etc. The
catering department served us a delicious meal at our tasting but the actual
dinner at our reception was tasteless and the portions were tiny. Barton
Creek threw in hidden costs at every opportunity, including charging
us for items that we were originally told would be "included"...the list
of disappointments from Barton Creek is very long. Barton Creek made
what was supposed to be a fun experience very stressful and trying. I
sincerely regret having my event at Barton Creek and learned from my
wedding coordinator that establishments such as The Four Seasons and The
Driskill do not have such problems. Our honeymoon stay at Barton Creek was
also terrible. We received our very expensive room service cold and not
as ordered. The room was average and nobody even acknowledged it was
our honeymoon. I highly recommend going with another vendor for your
special event or vacation.

Very nice resort

by TripAdvisor Member corpusjohn

My principal wife was recieving an award at the resort as part of a big dollar giveaway for teachers and school administrators sponsored by grocer giant HEB and I was just along for the ride. I have no idea what the room cost but it was no doubt very expensive. The resort has a mountain lodge feel and is located in the hills west of Austin in an area lined with multi million dollar homes. If you like shopping in the malls there is a very nice one within a 10 minute drive. We have stayed at many resorts and excellent hotels and this was no different. Be prepared to hand out lots of tips for valet parking, baggage handling, and any extra requests unless you're some sort of cheap SOB. Our room was somewhat outdated but very clean and well maintained by our standards. The bedding was excellent and very comfortable. No complaints from us on the 2 double beds. We sleep together every other night of the year, so 3 nights in seperate beds resulted in a peaceful rest for both of us. No kids no cats no dogs.
I golfed one day on the ($190.00) Crenshaw course and thought it was very nice. No GPS on the carts but I'm sure it could be arranged. The pin placements change daily and you're given new placement sheets before driving off. Each cart had water bottles and ice, and the cart girl was selling extras as needed. The grounds and course was manicured to perfection by a crew of experts. there were 2-3 practice ranges to choose from that were well staffed. Beautiful pro shop with all the extras.
The food that we had was very good. We ate the ($20.00)breakfast buffet twice and it was well staffed and supplied. The event we were there for had a meal prepared that consisted of fillet, chicken, and shrimp with asparagus. There were three different sauces and each was wonderful. This event was for 400-500 people and the service and food was better than expected. The cocktails were excellent as well.
I would stay there again if the opportunity presented itself or if I had a lot of disposable income for a golfing excursion.

Such a Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member beckagiles

I visited Austin texas for a work conference. The staff is not friendly or engaging at all. The front desk was not helpful in the least bit. When I asked for a king size bed, they of course didn't have it. O.k. fine, however I was then stuck in the worse room possible with a view of the air conditioner and the roof. Just awful. I stayed a the hotel after the outbreak and maid service took all of my soap and failed to replace the soap. I was washing my hands with my own body scrub at the sink.

The spa is a joke... I had a $95.00 pedicure. First of all I was at the hotel for 5 days no one called me once to say hello or confirm my appointment. Whenever I went to the spa at first they had said they didn't have the reservation but then found it. The setting of the pedicure tubs is AWFUL!!! Not calming at all. NO MUSIC playing and I had to look at a door open to the store room the whole time. I felt like they had just shoved a spa pedicure place in a back office. There was nothing that said nice spa and this pedicure is worth a $100.00

The food is awful... Just gross, nothing really good the whole week. The pool is nothing to write home about and I truly couldn't wait to leave.

Overall A TRUE and UTTER DISSAPOINTMENT... I have heard that the hotel used to be nice and the managment really needs to revisit what they are going to do. Apparently they need to hire better employees, retain them, along with putting a lot of money into what they call a spa/resort

Chocolate CakeChocolate Cake

Tres Leches CakeTres Leches Cake

The famous Tres Leches CakeThe famous Tres Leches Cake

crab cakes, pastry with spinachcrab cakes, pastry with spinach

Outdoor Wedding in Ontario?

by s_smg

We are looking for a nice location to marry in Ontario for a simple wedding with just immediate family, outside. We don't require a venue because we are only serving cake and champagne following the ceremony. I would love some suggestions... we are in the Owen Sound area but travel is not an issue to Toronto, Kitchener, London, Hamilton/Burlington etc.

Thank you.

Re: Outdoor Wedding in Ontario?

by madamx

There is the gazebo overlooking Lake Ontario at Niagra-on-the-Lake. I'm not sure about useage, perhaps contact the town administration of Niagra-on-the-Lake.

Re: Outdoor Wedding in Ontario?

by MelsTreks

there are lots of nice wineries in the Niagara Region ranging from small and inexpensive to large and pricey. Worth looking into

Comments