Casulo Hotel

Casulo Hotel
Expedia.com BookIt.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Austin

It's fun sliding down!It's fun sliding down!

MT Supermarket - Live catfishMT Supermarket - Live catfish

Our gang...with the bar in the backOur gang...with the bar in the back

Tribute to Texas SchoolchildrenTribute to Texas Schoolchildren

Couple of questions

Howdy,

I'll finally spend november in Austin...
1. How is the weather like? FYI, here in Belgium, we already had some snow, I suspect I shouldn't bring the same kind of clothes...
2. What could I do during the WE? Any suggestion for one-day-trip? From what I've read, Austin is not too touristic, hiking shoes could be a must!
3. Since the $ is pretty weak, it could be a good time to replace my old digital camera. Any recommendation for electronic shop?
4. Any specific event, fair,... taking place in November?
5. Have I completely missed the bats or is there still a couple that haven't yet migrated ;-)

Thanks,

Re: Couple of questions

by Jinx_Hoover

November weather should be very good--usually 70-80 F in the day and 50-60 F at night. Mostly sunny with occasional cold fronts that may bring rain for short periods. Nothing guaranteed--Texas weather can be very unpredictable!

We have a very nice hike/bike trail around portions of Town Lake that offers a scenic place to walk or jog. The Bob Bullock Texas History Museum is interesting and also has an IMAX theatre with interesting features.

If you have an auto, a day trip to Fredricksburg (about 1 1/2 hour drive west into the hill country) is enjoyable. Fredricksburg is a German settlement that has developed into a popular shopping/sightseeing destination.

For shopping, San Marcos, 45 minutes to the south, has a huge outlet center where 50-60 retailers have factory outlet stores--some with good bargains.

Regards,

Jinx Hoover

Re: Re: Couple of questions

by Djinn76

THanks to both of you!! Just the answers I needed! Well, I would have never imagined a german settlement in the heart of Texas but, why not! Good to know...once I'm fed up with hamburgers, I can have a wiener schnitzel over there ;-))

Re: Couple of questions

by LostInAustin

November in Austin is usually not very cold. Remember it averages about 300 days of sunshine here per year. Best bet is to to plan for layering your clothing as the afternoon sun can really warm things up even though the wind might be a bit chilly. Really you'll be here during some of the most agreeable weather all year. A lot of locals don't even own what you would consider a heavy coat.

A suggestion for a day-trip in November is to visit the Texas Renaissance Festival between here and Houston. It is one of the largest festivals of its kind and very well done. Check here for more information -- http://www.texrenfest.com/

You likely won't see many bats but you can stop by the giant bat scupture on S. Congress Ave for a photo opportunity. It's just south of the bridge.

Re: Re: Couple of questions

by Djinn76

Yeah right, "usually not very cold"! I guess this year is rather unusual then: last week was damned cold!!Good I also took some warm clothes with me!
About the 300 days sunshine, today was much better but so far it has been rather cloudy...
I guess it's just because I'm here ;-)

Travel Tips for Austin

No Helmet Laws

by KiKitC

Being from New Jersey, it was an experience riding in a state without helmet laws. Wow! The riding in the hill country was just wonderful, and how exhilerating not to have a helmet on. Watch your head, though. That sun gets hot.

Iron Rock Raceway

by ATXtraveler

There is a great debate about whether you consider motor racing a sport. Some people refer to it as motorsports, specifically so they can emphasize their side. I personally did not believe it was a "sport" at first, but after racing these go-karts, my opinion has changed.

This was much more physically demanding of an activity than I imagined, but it was also really fun! We were able to get these go-karts running in the 40 mph range, and the track that was set up was really condusive to speed!

Iron Rock Raceway is a fairly new addition to the Austin landscape, although go-karting has been around along time in Austin. The facility is actually located on the Austin airport land, so it makes for a unique racing experience when passengers on the flights are staring at you while you zoom around.

The cost is about 20 dollars per race, but for $50, you get a couple races in a championship type format. I ended up coming in 3rd out of 8, but we had a couple pros in our group!

Hours of Operation
Tues-Sat: 10am to 10pm
Sunday: 10am to 6pm
Monday: By appointment All safety equipment is provided, however it is recommended to wear jeans and tennis shoes/driving shoes. Also, a word to the wise, do not go in the middle of the day in the summer. This made for a most unpleasurable experience, as you really have to get suited up to drive, and 100 degree heat baked me like a clam!

A bit of China

by kimberbakos

While in Austin we stopped at the offices of Great Wall China Adoption, the agency we used to adopt our daughter. The people in the office are the best! And the mural of the Great Wall makes a great backdrop for photos, as you can see in the photo. If you are interested in adoption, add this to your list of place to drop by. Tell them Kim sent you.

Irish Pub/Bar

by imcginty about Fado's

One of the first bars I visited before moving to Austin. They usually have Irish music themed bands playing Sunday through Thursday and a DJ playing various 80's and 90's hits Friday and Saturday. Texas Hold 'em tournament every Monday night and trivia on Wednesday nights. I have seen everything from grungy to casual to suits. Depends on the day of the week and the time of day.

First Night on New Years Eve

by butterfly_girl about Downtown Austin on New Years Eve

December 31, 2005 was the first "First Night" in Austin and it was a huge success. If you are looking for somewhere to bring in the New Year, Austin is the new hot spot! There is dance, music, arts and culture filling the streets of downtown Austin. Along with a drum circle at midnight, followed by a great fireworks display. This is a low cost, fun alternative to the typical get drunk and have a hangover new years eve.

Comments