Citiview Manor B&B

Good For No Data

More about Austin

Home Slice Pizza, Austin TXHome Slice Pizza, Austin TX

Asia MarketAsia Market

my spring roll!my spring roll!

Remains of the Old Texas CapitolRemains of the Old Texas Capitol

Outdoor activities in Austin

by thesweetooth

My husband and I are going to a wedding in Austin mid-July. The friends aren't much into outdoorsy stuff so I don't expect them to be able to recommend anything in that arena. We like to climb, hike, mountain bike and road bike. I know Austin's a bit hilly, so is there any rock climbing in the area? If so, is sport or trad or a mix? If there isn't climbing, we'd like to hike or bike. Does anyone know the going rate for renting a mountain bike and whether there are trails a ridable distance from a bike shop? We will be renting a car which I don't expect to have a bike rack on it. What about hiking trails in the area? Thanks for any info!

Re: Outdoor activities in Austin

by Matt420

There are numerous trails for mountain biking, hiking or easy strolls. Here is a link that has quite a few maps of the trails in and around the Austin area. I'm sorry, but I don't know about renting a bike, but I'm sure just about every bike shop does it.
Rock climbing is also a very popular sport, here are a couple of web sites to check out. The Austin Rock Gym is probably your best bet for getting all the information you need.

matt

Re: Outdoor activities in Austin

by butterfly_girl

Austin has a lot to do for the outdoorsy type. First thing to know though, it will be HOT in Austin in July...sometimes close to 100 degrees...But, if you can handle that...there is mountain biking and rock climbing in the area. There is great rock climbing about 45 minutes from Austin...it is a private place called Reimers Ranch and I think they charge about $5.00 to enter...it is right on a river and very pretty...but you do have to go down a dirt road for a little bit... Here is the link.... http://www.texasclimbers.com/crags/reimers/
As for bike rentals...I don't know the going rate...but here is a link to some bike shops www.bicycleaustin.info/getaround.html
There is a rental shop called Bicycle Sports Shop on Toomey Road...their number is (512) 477-3472...this shop would be close to the hike n' bike trails (there is a 4 mile trail that goes along the river) and I'm sure they can give you directions on where to go...Look into the hike n' bike trails in Zilker Park.
Good luck, if you need more info on things to do in Austin...you can check my site at www.virtualtourist.com/butterfly_girl and go to the Austin link. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions...I live in Austin so I can look up some things for you if you want.
Happy Traveling,
Kym

Re: Re: Outdoor activities in Austin

by butterfly_girl

Just a note if you decide to go climbing at Reimers...I think they are closed Monday through Wednesday so it is best to call first before going on those days. Have a great trip!

Travel Tips for Austin

First Ever Austin VT Meeting

by Stephen-KarenConn

Some of the nicest people on VT live in Austin!

It was a special privilege for me to be in Austin on February 25, 2005 for what I believe was the first ever Austin VT meeting. We had a very enjoyable dinner at Baby A's Restaurant on Barton Springs Road. Although most of us were meeting each other for the first time, it was just like getting together with old friends. Those attending were:

Seated, Left to Right

Skibbe: Scot
mertmh: Mark
saraheg77: Sarah
ATXtraveler: Mark

It's always great to turn virtual friends into real ones. I especially appreciate the efforts of ATXtraveler, Saraheg77 and butterfly_girl for organizing the event.

Dive Lake Travis

by scott_txguy

Lake travis is about 20 miles west of Austin. It was created by damming th elower colorado river. It is very large, and had a depth of about 150 feet. You can rent boats, scuba dive, swim and water ski. There are 3 main places to dive. Mansfield scuba park, windy point, and volente. You can get info from the lcra web site. There are also picnic and camping sites. hippie Hollow is divable, and it is the only nude beach in the area. I only patronize austin aqua sports. www.austinaquasports.com

2 for 1 Canoes on the river!

by ATXtraveler

During off-peak times, you can rent two for one canoes to sail around the Barton Springs swimming area!

Simply go to the website, download the online coupon, and set sail! A great thing to do for an hour or two on a warm day!

**Edit - Just received word from the fine people at Zilker Boats... their website is changed. Please see the listing below with the new link. Don't fear though, I checked and they still have 2-for-1!

Swinging Bubbles

by LaurynDC about Oslo

This is one of my bestfriends and my favorite spot to go one the weekends. The crowds are a bit older and it's not so crowded. It's a great place to end the night. And if you're lucky you can sit in one of the huge swinging balls. I'd order a dirty martini.. they make em right. No tennis shoes

4th Street

by mj9462 about 4th Street

It's a lot like 6 St. as far as being lines with bars. It is a tad bit more of an older crowd which makes it more laid back and relaxing. The atmosphere here is a little nicer espacially if it's the weekend. You'll be fine in jeans, but why not dress up a little?!

Comments