Fairfield Inn By Marriott Austin Central

EntranceEntrance

Packing AreaPacking Area

Arboretum Area

by Jthomas2

I am arriving in Austin on July 4, and I still have not secured an apartment, which is fine, actually. Many of the apartment locators are trying to get me to move to the Arboretum area. From the sound of it, the Arboretum area seems suburban with lots of strip malls. It does not appear to be near the city at all on the map. Is this the case? I want to be on the busline in case my car breaks down. I also want to be able to go to bookstore, libraries, and restaurants.

Should I stay away from the southeast? Does anyone know anything about the Metropolis Apartments? Does anyone know of safe apartment complexes in the southeast part of town?

RE: Arboretum Area

by Matt420

The Arboretum area is a more expensive area than south east Austin. There are more hi-end shopping. South East Austin, along Riverside dr. is mostly apartments occupied by college students. Plenty of bus routes in case you break down. The Metropolis, I don't know anything about living there. It looks like a cool funky gated apartment complex. If you’re looking for an apart. in that area, you might try the places on Pleasant Valley (which crosses Riverside) or on Oltorf. This area is much closer to down town than the Arboretum area.

RE: RE: Arboretum Area

by mertmh

The Arboretum area is on the busline as well. For bus schedules, look at www.capmetro.org.

The Riverside area has any many stripmalls as the Arboretum area (just lower end versus higher end shopping, as the other guy said).

I have visited a friend at the Metropolis apartments. I would not choose to live there, but everyone has different tastes. You can check out www.apartmentratings.com and read some reviews that other people have written.

I don't know what kind of place you're looking for (price range, amenities, etc.)

You can also look at www.craigslist.org, www.austinapartmentclassifieds.com, www.austinchronicle.com/classifieds, www.statesman.com/classifieds

Perhaps you already know about these things....I'd be happy to try to answer any further questions you have. Hope your move down goes well.

RE: Arboretum Area

by LaurynDC

In all honesty I would not recommend living on the East side. I did that when I first moved here and moved across the highway as soon as my lease was up. The neighborhood is not all that safe and it a bit trashy. I moved to south central austin and I actually pay less and live in a much bigger and nicer place. I'd suggest Oak Run of Town Oaks which both have bus routes right next to them, 7 mins from downtown, and have the "austin" atmosphere. The arboretum area is nice, but it is also expensive. I grew up in Dallas and it kinda reminds me of the uptight white suburbia in N. Dallas. I personally think you'll find a lot more the unique and local flavor of Austin if you stay further central or south. If you need an apt. locator I know a good one who is free of charge or you may wanna check out Criag's List for austin. Good Luck, let me know if you have any questions.
-Lauryn

Travel Tips for Austin

Ten Commandments Monument

by Stephen-KarenConn

No doubt the most controversial monument on the Texas State Capitol grounds is this one to the Ten Commandments. The text, sacred to both Jews and Christians, was reportedly handed down by God to Moses on Mt. Sinai in ancient times. It is the moral code upon which most of the laws of western civilization are based.

Although the overwhelming majority of Texans approve of the Ten Commandments being displayed on the Capitol grounds, a small minority tend to become very shrill in denouncing anything religious other than their own religion of Secular Humanism.

This small granite monument of the Ten Commandments was at the center of a 2005 U.S. Supreme Court case, Van Orden v. Perry, in which the display was challenged as unconstitutional. In late June 2005, the Court ruled that the display was not unconstitutional and that the monument could remain.

Hooray for the Supreme Court doing what was right.

Supreme Court Ten Commandments Decision

Town Lake Attractions

by msbrandysue

Town Lake is the lake that runs through downtown Austin. I saw so much being done when I walked over to see the bats flying out from under Congress Ave Bridge. There were canoers, kayakers, bikers, walkers, joggers, etc. What a healthy city!

I did not do any of the above activities but would love to upon returning.

It's a beautiful way to watch the sunset too :) Check out different websites...

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

by kimberbakos

If you take the long path instead of the stairs to the top of Mt. Bonnell, you will be able to look down into the yards of some million dollar homes on the river. They are beautiful! I found it a little sad, though, that not a single home had anyone outside enjoying all that the money had afforded them. Kind of pointless.

Thrift Store Junkie

by butterfly_girl about Salvation Army Thrift Store

If you are a thrift store junkie like I am, the Salvation Army at 1142 South Lamar (443-7565) is loaded with deals. Come in on Wednesdays when everything in the store is half price and you could walk out of there with a whole new wardrobe for under $20.00. I have found Old Navy Jeans and Levis over there for about $2.00 or $3.00 each.

SoCo

by richnewman about South Congress Area

South Congress Avenue is cool. Hippy cool. Alt country cool. Laid back cool. Cool.
There are tons of places to haunt here--even the day scene is worth a visit. But at night, places like The Continental are hopping. Try to catch this on the first thursday of each month when they have: "First Thursday." Catchy name, huh? It's an outdoor street party held monthly. Dress in whatever you like: shorts, jeans, flip flops and a captain's hat, whatever.

Comments