Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown

500 North IH 35, (formerly Capitol Place Hotel), Austin, Texas, 78701, United States
Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Orbitz.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 100% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown

Wonderful week-end in Austin

by TripAdvisor Member OSL

Spent a week-end in Austin (April 13-15) with my husband and my sister and stayed at the capitol place hotel. We got a good deal on Hotwire and spent $90 per night, per room. The hotel is newly and tastefully renovated, and has a great location. I read online that it can get pretty noisy at night, so I asked for rooms that were quiet. We stayed on the 16th floor facing the indoor "courtyard" on the 10th floor, so no problems with noise from 6th street.

The staff was accommodating, polite and obliging. The valet parking costs $18 per 24 hours and the staff was efficient and hard working. I was more than willing to pay the price for safe and convenient parking.

We didn't dine at the hotel, or use the room service facilities, so I really can't comment on this. I found Austin to have many wonderful dining opportunities, so we opted to venture out for meals instead. Must try: Kirby Lane for breakfast, Lamberts for dinner, Sunday brunch at the Four Seasons. Absolutely memorable.

Although I'm not a huge fan of 6th street and its rather rowdy and seedy feel at night, I would most definitely stay at this hotel again if I could get a great rate again. It's a clean, friendly, efficient and well located hotel.

They will put a $100 hold on your debit or credit card

by TripAdvisor Member sunny_traveler_71

I stayed after the refurbishing was done. I loved my room, but the housekeeping was not that great. My bathroom was dirty, I don’t think it was cleaned at all. It is an excellent location, walking distance to a lot of restaurants, bars, the bat bridge, etc. The pool is kind of a joke (very tiny) and the outside pond is rank. I was not happy that they put a $100 hold on my debit card when they told me it was for incidentals. I knew I would not have any so handed my card over, only to learn that they had held a $100! Because I stayed on the weekend, my bank was unable to release the hold and I was pretty mad about not being told about it in the first place.

A little pricey but worth it

by TripAdvisor Member bigDjetsetter

Newly renovated Hilton (formerly known as Capitol Inn.....I think) is beautiful. Nicely appointed furniture, linens, and ect. Classy and comfortable without being too trendy. Very nice. Worth the money I would rather pay more money to stay there than go budget. Friendly and attentive staff.

Great Place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member her727

I booked this hotel through Priceline and got it for 80 bucks a night. I loved the location, the rooms were HUGE, and the bed was oh so comfy. I was scared at first from all the reviews I read, especially about the 100 dollar fee I read about. I think that particular traveler probably left the room in terrible condition or may have used the mini bar. The only charge they ran on our card was the valet parking for 18 bucks. Everything was in walking distance, the pool is small but it was still fun. The pond outside is not a pond at all. It’s not even part of the hotel. It’s a part of Austin and it runs through the outside of the hotel, I think it may be a creek. They can’t help that. We stayed during ROT Rally weekend and the bikes were no bother on the 11th floor. The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly. Our room was comfortable with a king sized bed, microwave, coffee maker, TV, a sofa, and desk. Overall we had a great experience and will stay again on another party trip to Austin. Also we had dinner at the Oasis restaurant with oh so magnificent views of lake Travis, I highly recommend this.

Great choice

by TripAdvisor Member lilikoi78

I booked this room through Hotwire and got a great deal. The room was newly renovated, with new carpet, furnishings and a great bed. We even had an HD flat-screen tv in the room. I thought the location was pretty convenitent (especially if you want to go to 6th Street) and we even found parking on the street right next to the hotel (valet parking in the garage is $20 a night.) I didn't think the noise from 6th Street was bad at all, and we were there the weekend most of the kids came back to UT for the fall, so it was a rockin' night. I definately reccomend this hotel, and check out Havana's next door on 6th street; they have excellent mojitos and roasted pork that is to die for!

Hit and miss on this one.

by TripAdvisor Member FairCritique

This hotel is a curious mix of good/not so good. The location at first glance is horrible: situated right next to I-35 and a bevy of run-down and abandoned buildings, with homeless and down-and-outers roaming the area at all hours. However, the fabulous 6th Street entertainment district and warehouse entertainment district are an easy healthy walk westward. I had no intentions of venturing eastward into "no man's land". Once west of the hotel I felt very safe at all times. As for the hotel itself: what is with the miniscule pool with freezing water in 95 degree weather? There was a tiny walking area around the pool with no lounge chairs (only upright chairs), but there was a very attractive waterfall spilling that Arctic-like water into the pool. The driveway entrance was strewn with trash and at times empty of attendants (at other times there was attendant "overkill"). The interior of the hotel was clean and recently updated; I say updated because there seemed to be more "cosmetization" done than renovation.

As far as the room goes, apparently there were not enough of the flat-panel HD TVs to go around, mine was a older clunker. The bed was not new; a thick mattress cover was thrown over the lumpy old bed in an attempt to fool. My back was not fooled. New attractive red pillows had been tossed upon a hideous gold crushed-velvet sofa. The effect was nauseating.

The old toilet was cracked and leaked. There was no shower curtain liner. The coffee set-up was neglected (supplies not replenished). In its favor, there is a convenient mini-fridge and microwave in the room. The air conditioning sounded like a freight train each time it turned on, and the noise from other rooms, the hall, and other bathrooms can be heard loud and clear, in addition to the close-by fire hall and I-35.

I ate breakfast at the rooftop restaurant which has a fantastic panoramic view of Austin. The room was woefully understaffed (Saturday 9/22/07) with one poor soul struggling to greet, answer the phone, deal with special requests off the buffet menu, clear tables, and settle checks. Hilton corporate should look into this incident. In my opinion it was abusive and I don't know how the young woman kept a cheerful attitude through it all. She should get a commendation.

Post-partum from this mish-mosh I have to say that it was not worth the very cheap rate I received from HotWire, and under no circumstances should more than $100 a night be charged.

This might be a better destination with some serious renovation not done on the cheap. The neighborhood around the hotel shows signs of a clean-up, with the construction of new condos. But for now, spend the extra buck and stay elsewhere.

Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member Enigma3115

My wife and I stayed here one night. Our flight got in earlier than the typical afternoon hotel check-in time but they were able to check us into our room slightly before noon.

Location: The hotel is just located right next to Interstate 35, between 5th and 6th Streets. You can easily walk to the many bars and restaurants with live music on 6th Street and other nearby areas. One of the previous reviews mentioned homeless people in the area. We didn't see any such people right around the hotel but we did see them a few blocks down 6th Street. This area is a safe, high-traffic area due to area bars and restaurants. The homeless people we saw were panhandling and I think that it is safe to say that they were attracted by the high foot traffic on 6th Street. In summary - it's nothing to be concerned about. However, parts of the 6th Street area have a "morning after" bar smell.

Lobby: The lobby is small but clean and includes a "pantry" that offers toiletries, newspapers, drinks and food that you can cook in your room's microwave. The extremely small pool is just off of the lobby.

Parking: The hotel building includes a parking garage. They have valet parking. Also, they have 3-4 parking spots by the valet parking stand where you can park for 15 minutes to check in.

Rooms: Our room included a flat screen TV, a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, comfortable chair and ottoman. The bathroom was nice - it included a granite countertop. However, I noticed a few minor issues with the bathroom -- I could partially hear a conversation in a room upstairs through the ceiling vent. Also, they had cut a hole in the ceiling for what appeared to be a small plastic pipe, which was flush with the hole. It was unclear what purpose that served. Based on a previous review, we requested an interior-facing room so we wouldn't have to hear noise from 6th Street at night - I'm glad that we did. We were on the 12th floor and it faced an interior lounge/courtyard on the 10th floor.

Workout Room: I didn't use this facility (I should have) but it looked nicer than the standard hotel workout room. It included several cardio and weight machines. There were several flat screen TVs, a water cooler and a medical-style scale. It is open 24 hours. Your room card/key is not needed to access this room.

Restaurant: There is a large restaurant/bar at the top of the hotel. We had breakfast there on the day we checked out. They have the standard breakfast buffet. We had the cold breakfast buffet, which includes coffee. That was $7 per person, which I thought was reasonable.

Clean and updated but, not comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member mrsjones01

Pros: Clean, well appionted, updated designs, nice 18th floor bar/lounge area, walking distance from Austin "action"
Cons: Parking fee $20.00 per night, noisy, I35 traffic/sirens/people etc... will keep you up ALL night (if your room is one that side... ours was : (

The hotel is nice, but we won't stay here again. It just wasn't comfortable. For whatever reason, it felt cramped and we won't go back. If you are getting a GREAT deal on the room stay here but, in our opinion, there are better places downtown for the same cost. We have stayed at pretty much every 3star or better hotel in the city and this is the first one we have decided not to return to. Again, we just never got comfortable here but, maybe you will!

Pros and Cons of the Hilton Garden Austin

by TripAdvisor Member jbwhouston

I was pleased with several aspects of this hotel. One, the room was clean and modern and had a good bed. Clean modern bathroom but a little small. Little things like good soap and shampoo and in room coffee are nice too. Good TV, nice furniture and nice layout.
Staff was spot on. From valet to front desk. I didn't eat or drink in any of the restaurants. Also, I thought the price was good. I paid 79 + 18 taxes for total of 97 on a Saturday night.

The noise from Highway 35 was annoying. Even late at night and early Sunday morning, it was an issue. We stayed on the 11th floor and faced the northbound freeway. Also, the noise in the halls from other people closing their doors was more noticeable in this hotel. Maybe thinner walls?

I will stay here again but i will ask for a room on the other side of the hotel.

So, to summarize, I was impressed with the things that current management can control.

Nice Quiet Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member musicmanSumner_WA

Stayed six nights. We asked for an inside room facing the atrium to avoid the city noises...sirens, freeway, people partying on 6th street, and it was very quiet from Sunday thru Thursday nights. On Friday night some noise from hotel residents returning after partying on 6th street. The bed was comfortable and adjustable for hardness/softness. The room was very attractive and came with refrigerator and microvave. The bathroom was quite small (5 feet x 8 feet). Nice bar and restaurant on top floor with great view of city. The staff was very accomodating. Overall, a very good hotel experience.

Swimming in the lake.Swimming in the lake.

Krazy DrinkKrazy Drink

Worth it!!Worth it!!

Ten Commandments MonumentTen Commandments Monument

accomodation for 1 month

by Djinn76

Hi,

I could have to spend one month in Austin next fall.
I'm looking for an alernative cheaper than hotel.
What could be the possibilties? short flat rental? bed and breakfast? guest house?

Any pointers would be much appreciated...

JF

Re: accomodation for 1 month

by ohiofellure

Check on Extended Stay America hotel and Motel 6 extended stay suites. These and similar places are much cheaper by the week or month than by the day. Chamber of commerce should be able to give you list of similar places.

Re: accomodation for 1 month

by LolaSanFrancisco

This place is $25 a night! (ha! I rock) Hearthside Suites By Villager Austin
7101 I-35 North
Austin, TX 78752 US

Book online or Call: TOLL FREE 1-888-254-0637, USA and Canada
972-894-1173, International. Give Promo Code 5215 when calling.
Reservations Center Hours: Open 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week
Customer Service is available Monday through Friday, 9 AM through 5:30 PM, EST (Add 5 Hours to Times for GMT)

Re: Re: accomodation for 1 month

by Olafino

Please check things out,we were at a motel at I-35 North,which was located at a dangerous and unsafe environment.Lucky for us they couldn't find our reservation and after one scary night,we headed for a motel at I-35 South which was a lot safer.
I asked a woman about the North and she told me to be very careful out there,and warned us to stay west of the highway I-35.

Re: Re: accomodation for 1 month

by acrijk

Oh yea, stay west of I-35 for sure...

Comments