112 Academy Drive, Austin, Texas, 78704, United States
Expedia.com TheHotels.com Travelocity

More about Austin

AUTOMATIC TOLL BOOTHAUTOMATIC TOLL BOOTH

Next door to Taj PalaceNext door to Taj Palace

Headhunters - Crowd (2007)Headhunters - Crowd (2007)

Artesian Well and Drinking Fountain MarkerArtesian Well and Drinking Fountain Marker

Austin without a car?

by tigersharkjs

A young (22) lady of my acquaintance is interested in visiting Austin. I don't think it's doable without a car. She does not have a driver's license. I would love to be wrong about this, so I post my question here in the hopes of some of my fellow VTers saying I'm wrong!

Re: Austin without a car?

by butterfly_girl

It depends on what she wants to do in Austin and what side of town she stays in. If she stays in Central or South Austin and wants to do the touristy stuff, she will have a better chance of being able to see Austin without a car. There is a nice youth hostel right along the river in Austin. If she stays there she can catch the bus to downtown, Barton springs, 6th street, etc. If she is in good shape, there is also a hike n' bike trail that is directly linked to the youth hostel and from there she can walk a few miles and get downtown. There is also a free bus service called "the dillo" that she can catch in the downtown area...the dillo has routes to many of the popular tourist sites. If you give me more information on what area she will be staying in, then maybe I can provide more info. If she's interested, my Austin page has links to the Youth Hostel and the dillo.

Re: Re: Austin without a car?

by tigersharkjs

Hi Butterfly

Thanks so much. She is my friend's daughter, by the way! She mainly wants to hit the music clubs. It kind of sounds like she would be okay for a few days without a vehicle! We live in Montreal, so we are all good walkers. Thanks very much for the info

Travel Tips for Austin

Austin Tip

by zypher

I remember coming up from Houston in the car, with my family when I was maybe five or six, and finally seeing the Austin skyline after travelling across all those miles and miles of Texas grasslands. We knew then that we were near our great-grandmother's house and the trip would soon be over.

Hiking/Biking the Greenbelt

by klasher

My fave place for a walk. The greenbelt scenery seems to change from day to day. The most popular section is the Barton Creek Greenbelt which is 8 miles long. There are several points of entrance. During the Spring the creek is sometimes flowing which makes for great (free) swimming. The biking can be treachorous, because of the many boulders along the trail. there are also some great spots for rock climbing.

Time to refuel

by kimberbakos

Directly across from the main drive into the capital complex, there is an old building that houses a bakery. It has been there for over 100 years and is currently run by the local senior center as a fundraiser. Makes a great place to grab a quick bite to refuel as you take the various walking tours. Right in front of the bakery is a little park with the foundation of the old capital that burned to the ground in the 1800's. Great place for squirrel watching!

Austin's Home of the Blues

by Tom_Fields about Antone's

When I lived in Texas, during the 1980s, Antone's was known all over the state (and the country) as one of the top blues clubs in the country. Shown here is the club's old home on Guadalupe St.

Since then, the club has moved to a new location on 5th Street, downtown. Its owner, Clifford Antone, has gone on the meet the other great blues players. I'd like to imagine that he's jamming with them somewhere "up there". I feel lucky to have had so many unforgettable nights at this legendary nightclub. Casual.

Coffee, beer, vegetarian food, music

by tee0206 about Bouldin Creek Cafe

Bouldin Creek Cafe is one of my favorite spots in Austin. There's just such a cool crowd there. You'll see hipsters, college students, and random other people. I just love how so many Austin coffee shops serve alcohol. I think it's amazing. I love the coffee shop ambience, so being able to drink there is even better. Anyway, Bouldin Creek is just a cool little coffee shop with a nice sized patio. I think it has sort of an artsy, intellectual, independent, cool vibe. They have lots of books and board games available. I dig it. Casual.

Comments