208 Barton Springs, Austin, Texas, 78704, United States

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• stappm's Profile Photo

Close to Convention Center

I was in Austin with a work expo at the Austin convention center - so this location was nice cause it was across the street from the center. It is also on the water, where you can rent canoes or take a steam boat ride. However it is a ways from the night life of Austin (either rent a car or Taxi), and not what you expect from the Hayatt Regency. The hotel is showing signs of wear.

Unique Quality: On water

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

My first official night in Austin!

5 years ago, as a college student seeking a job, my current company, set me up to stay in the Hyatt Regency here in Austin. This was officially the beginning of the end for me! As a guy who made it through college packing ten guys into a Motel 6 29 dollar a night hotel room, I found myself in a king size room with free soap and shampoo all to myself!

Glory day, I have not turned back since.

The Hyatt is a really nice hotel with an awesome view of downtown! Look down.. you will see Town Lake, where in the morning crew teams will be stroking along the water!

Bring your credit card, and enjoy your stay!

Unique Quality: They have great fajitas at the hotel restaurant on the second floor!

More about Hyatt Regency Austin

NOT a 4-star hotel!

We booked this room through Priceline because our experiences have always been wonderful with this service. We asked for a 4-star hotel, but when we arrived, we could have just booked a room at the Best Western by the looks of things. The hotel needs serious updating. We paid $80 for the room while our relatives paid $55 for a beautiful room at the Doubletree.

The beds at the Hyatt Regency Austin are horrible. The mattresses feel as old and outdated as the hotel itself. The rooms are okay, but they are plainly furnished with stuff you'd see at a Hampton Inn or Best Western. Not bad, just nothing fancy.

Parking was way too expensive for this kind of hotel. We ended up paying $9.

I would not stay at this hotel again. It wasn't a HORRIBLE experience, but I've had much better with Priceline!

Wonderful. Peaceful place to stay - highly recommend

My family and I stayed here Nov 21-23. This was our first visit to this hotel and had bought the rate on Priceline. We all thought it was wonderful!!! The location was fantastic - easy to downtown Austin, but removed and peaceful on the river. We were given a river view room without asking. The room was clean - towels new, bathroom spotless. The staff was outstanding. Always available with whatever we needed - movie times, maps, shopping /dining tips, etc.
I was somewhat skeptical about the hotel after reading some reviews here. The rooms may not be 4 star quality, but were comfortable, clean and for the price - you could not beat it! If I had paid alot more for it I might quesiton it.(the 4 star rating) But, Overall it was a fantastic stay - and I would definitely stay there again!

Was pleasantly surprised

We visited Austin recently and stayed at the Hyatt Regency on the edge of Town Lake (downtown). The hotel did not have great ratings on this site, and we only went there because we got a discount from an internet broker. We were very pleasantly surprised to find it exceeded our expectations.
I did see some wear on the bedspread and curtains in our room, but everything else was beautiful. It had a southwestern feel, with a big comfy leather chair and cocktail table right by the huge windows, and wrought iron accents on the wood furniture. The bathroom was nice, with granite countertops. The Hyatt is not as new as some hotels, but it had a lot of elegance and atmosphere. It seemed to be a bustling place. Usually we stay in smaller hotels so it was nice to be in a huge hotel with all the amenities and ambience. They are also in the middle of renovating the rooms, showing off the new designs in the lobby.

All the staff was very friendly and helpful. Check-in was fast and check-out was faster. They seemed to really want to make customers happy. When we got to our room a guest representative called right away and asked if we were happy with the room and if we needed anything.
It was very cold so we were not able to enjoy the hiking trails like we usually do, but we still enjoyed the beautiful landscaping and outdoor areas of the hotel. They have a wonderful pool and hot tub on the deck by the water. Even though it was in the 30's I was very tempted to go buy a bathing suit!

Parking was right outside, they had 2 lots so there was no worry about running out of parking. The lobby was beautiful, with a small stream running through it, and many comfy seating areas plus several eating options. My husband tried a mango margarita one evening and I had a tea, while sitting on a couch in the lobby. We enjoyed the lobby environment, with music coming from one of the Christmas parties off the lobby. It is an atrium style lobby, with the middle open all the way up, and the rooms around the edges. The glass elevators allow you to see the lobby as you go up.
I did have a little trouble ordering a drink--the lady at the coffee counter did not understand English very well and I was asking about different coffees and teas since the board did not give much detail. She could not tell me anything, and did not understand what I wanted. Finally she just brought me the tea caddy and let me pick one out. I did not expect that frustration in a big hotel chain. But it was a minor one.
We were given a beautiful room overlooking the lake. It was hard to tear ourselves away to go out and see the town. We had ducks and geese fly right by our window, and enjoyed seeing scullers on the water in the mornings. I was concerned about finding a non-smoking room, but they said only one floor allows smoking. The toletries are very nice, bigger bottles than usual, in yummy scents.

The only complaint I had was it was Christmas when we visited and people were partying way into the night. There were some people yelling and the noise traveled up to the room.

We would like to go back when it is warmer. The Hyatt is right on the trail system of Town Lake, which has about 10 miles of beautiful scenery to make exercising fun. Also you can rent boats or bikes to go around the lake, and Austin has some outstanding scenery all around.

Don't plan on getting any sleep!

by TripAdvisor Member scubadoll

I just returned from my stay at the Hyatt in Austin. This hotel is undergoing massive renovations. The top two floors are completely redone, and they are very very nice. However, the rest of the hotel is NOT done, and from 9:00am to 6:00pm you are inundated with banging, hammering and drilling. This came as an abrupt surprise after a very difficult night's sleep. At 9:00am, the drilling started in the room right next to mine, and did not stop until I called and complained.

The hotel also failed to inform us that the Urban Music Festival was also going on that weekend. (right next door) So, from the moment I arrived, I felt like I was at a giant hip-hop concert. It was the loudest outdoor concert I have ever heard, and couple that with the construction, I was not happy and completely sleep deprived by the end of the weekend. Not that I don't like Chaka Khan, but let me tell you it was LOUD!

They also lost my father's suit when he gave it to the laundry service, so he had nothing to wear for our family event that evening.

On the up side, this hotel has a great view of the city and Town Lake. There is a nice path in front of the hotel for jogging, and it is pretty close to the downtown restaurants and clubs.

If you plan to stay at this hotel, I would recommend waiting until this summer. It will be quite nice when the rooms are done, but for now, find somewhere else.

As for the service, I will say that they tried to accomodate my family as much as possible. They comp'd my parents' room for losing his suit, and they comp'd my room service for the banging.

All in all, not the greatest in my opinion.

A great hotel from 7 to 9

When my fiance and I checked in at 7:30pm on a Friday night we were thrilled. We had a fantastic view of the lake, the room was charming and spacious and the bed extremly comfortable.
However, as was already posted by another reviewer, the hotel is undergoing MASSIVE and LOUD renovations. Their website makes no note of this at all so I was completely surprised when I was awakened on a Saturday morning at 8:30 by the drilling, sawing and sanding going on above my room.
When we called the desk to complain they explained the renovations were bothering EVERYONE and that we could no be moved. They went on to explain that crews were drilling directly into the brick walls and so the vibrations and noise could not be helped.
Not the service you expect from a four star hotel.
I'm sure the rooms will be excellent when finished but I suspect the service will still be snotty.

Okay, but not great for families.

by TripAdvisor Member gigisf

We stayed in the Hyatt Town Lake in Austin on June 3, 2006. We had pricelined the hotel at the last minute. I was traveling with my husband, 3 year old and 1 year old. They are in the process of remdeling the hotel and we were given a newly remodeled room on a high floor. They have done a fairly nice job of remodeling. Great modern looking furniture, new high beds, AWESOME flat screen TVs, and etc. But I don't think this is a great location to stay for families with small kids. The rooms are TINY. We had to shove my daughter's crib into the closet area for her to sleep as there was no where else to put her. They didn't bother to remodel the bathtub area or the ceilings, so the new updates they've put on the rooms start to look less fancy once you look a little closer. The location was great to downtown Austin and it's great for viewing the bats.

I was disappointed that there was no minibar in the room, we could have really used it. The road noise is pretty bad as well,a nd there was something freaky with the a/c unit - our temperature was either boiling hot or freezing cold and we could not regulate it most of the night.

I think this is a very nice hotel for business travel or for couples, but families with small kids should look elsewhere.

Perfect except for the noiswe

by TripAdvisor Member toasty

We stayed here for one night over the long holiday weekend. I got this hotel through Priceline for $80+TAX, which was less that the $149 I found on all the other websites. This hotel is in an excellent location to see the bats under the bridge or to walk up to 6th for the musical nightlife. It costs $9 to park, which I thought was high. The lobby is beautiful and the check-in was timely. We had a room on the corner of the 7th floor. The hotel has recently been renovated and the rooms are like something out of a magazine. The bed was heavenly and then was PLENTY of space for our toddler's pack-and-play, which the hotel provided, along with bedding. We had no view, but for the price we paid, it wasn't expected. The bathroom was only partially renovated, the tub and shower were still dated. My only complaint with this hotel was the noise. The way the building is designed, voice carry up from the restaurant and lobby. So early in the AM when people came back drunk and loud, we heard every word. I stuffed towel under the door, but that didn't help. So...the renovation was well done, but they should of also put in new doors to keep out all the noise! Otherwise, I recommend this for families (tell them in advance if you need a crib and a big enough room to put it in)

Comments